Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:00 pm 
shirtless hugger

All the bug/emotion stuff is a little wonky, but I'll go with it. Green Lantern and Corps is the only current DCU comics I'm buying right now. But I will be adding Morrison's Batman & Robin, Animal Man, and Wednesday Comics here soon.

Oh, another great 90s book - Power of Shazam!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:25 pm 
active in the community

NoisyDvL5 wrote:
As for good books during the 90s era? All the ones that Superfly named, plus Chronos and Chase are like Aztek, short, but real gems. Peter David's run on Aquaman, The Paradise Lost Mini, Reign of the Supermen, Resurrection man (particularly issue 11, if you're going to try and knock that book), the No Man's Land crossover, the Walter West crossover, that decade had a wealth of good material.

Now since then with Didio? I feel like I'm pulling at straws to find stuff I l ike. The new Animal Man books looks promising. I loved Tales of the Unexpected (both Crispus Spectre and the Doc 13 backup), All-Star Superman. I'm sure there are others, but not quite the same impact as before. I'd say my favorite era lasted until about 02/03 and then the last five years have been a big turnoff.

You know the funny thing? I didn't really read comics when I was a kid in the 90s. Few places to buy any, thanks to the lack of comic book shops around here, so I didn't really start collecting until my senior year of high school in 2004. So I don't really have nostalgia associated with anything, and I'd like to think that I'm fairly objective about different comics eras because of that.

Apologies for the background, but I just wanted to stress my lack of nostalgia so I could lead up to this: Despite what common wisdom will tell you, the 90s were much, much better than our present era for superhero and other mainstream comics. I am constantly surprised every time I run across something excellent and overlooked like Hourman or Chase or Young Justice, and I'm not seeing much of that today. Dr. 13 was brilliant and totally disregarded, and there's some obvious gems that everyone knows (All-Star Superman, Y, Manhunter, etc.), but this decade has seen much less variety in the tone of its comics than last decade's, and I'd argue much less originality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:42 pm 
shirtless hugger

I'm just not excited buy the "Didio Era", I don't think he understands comics the same way I do (not saying one is better than the other, just that we don't think alike).

Everything current seems to diverge two ways from what I read in the 90s. Either it tries to move forward in some bizarre way (Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Captain Marvel, Dr. Light) that then gets aborted and kinda of exists in limbo. Or they trash the current stuff and revert it back to an earlier form (Ollie, Hal, Flash, Chronos etc.)

Ollie was before Didio's time and I like the GLs being back and being cop-y, except for Kyle's diminished role. But Flash? It just feels like they trashed him on purpose, the aborted Bart series, his death, Wally gone, then back, Barry back. It's like they tried to manufacture an Emerald Twilight for Flash just so they could rebirth.

Also, Didio constantly harps on "we're telling new stories, we're not rehashing anything" by returning the Flash, but take the solicit for Flash: Rebirth #3: "At last, the answer to the question that's plagued DC fans for decades: Who's faster, Superman or The Flash?"

- Superman #199 (1967)
- Flash #175 (1967)
- World's Finest #198 (1970)
- DC Comics Presents #1 (1978)

After Johns leaves either book, GL or Flash, all it will do is revert to rehashed old stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:46 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Nice list there, 'Fly, though you might want to add...

Jesse Quick
Spoiler
Tim Drake Robin (the 4H really need to get a shot at his most recognizable costume)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:02 am 
Mint on Card

Great list Superfly. Aztek and Zauriel would be cool. Heck i never thought i'd get Aztek as a JLU figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:59 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

the 90's also gave us such great reads as Major Bummer and Young Heroes in Love.

I couldn't get enough of either of those series and was very upset when they were both cancelled. If only they were to come out with trades and I could re-read them both ...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:41 am 
Damage Control

YES to the 90's! I really do miss it. Overall, I enjoyed it much more than the current Didio era.

We need more Young Justice!!! Secret, Empress, Arrowette, Slobo, Red Tornado, Lagoon Boy - and THE MIGHTY ENDOWED!!!!!!

Spoiler is also a must-have - and her dad, Cluemaster. I would love an Alan Scott Sentinel figure too. I wish he'd go back to that name.

http://www.kevenn.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:04 am 
5" Scale

Zauriel is absolutely one of my most-wanted characters.

Did you list Plastic Man because that's when he joined the JLA? (Because I though Plas was technically a Golden Age character?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:26 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

yep, I put Plas in there based on the JLA run.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject: Re: DCUC - The Iron Age 1990's Characters
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:37 am 

Brainiac - I always liked this version.

Bloodwynd - this guy might actually make a cool-looking figure.

Damage - don't we all need the guy responsible for jumpstarting the Big Bang and re-creating the universe?

The General - another good C&C option.

Hawkman - the post-Zero Hour version. Easy repaint and new head.

Jesse Quick - she could have a wave of her own with all those costumes...

Queen Bee - this would make a great-looking figure.

Robin - we need Tim Drake in the original costume.

Robotman - this version from the Morrison Doom Patrol would make a killer C&C.

Spoiler - maybe a good 2-pack with Robin.

Wonder Woman Hippolyta - we need this darker metallic costume with the white eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:55 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I would love the General as a CNC but I would want the Shaggy Man more.

On that note, should he be sculpted fur like MOTU's Beastman or should he be soft goods and furry like the 12" Chewbacca that was released in the SW line? My vote would be some of each...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:10 am 
Prototype

Spoiler and Huntress are at the top of my list. I want to finish off the Batman family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:29 pm 
Resin

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped reading mainstream comics. There isn't a single character or comic from the 90s on--from either Marvel or DC--that is worth a nickel.

It's just an endless recycling of the same ideas that have been used over and over again.

I'll stick with 30s/40s DC, 60s Marvel, and some 80s stuff from both.

Of course, any chartacter might look great sculpted by the 4 horse-people, but that's besides the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:42 pm 

So you only stick to 30/40s DC characters, and yet your screen name is a 60s DC character. Good one.

braniac six wrote:
It's just an endless recycling of the same ideas that have been used over and over again.

So is everything else. Books, films, comics, it's ALL the same rehashed basic stories. That doesn't mean it's not enjoyable and entertaining. Like I said before, to each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:12 pm 
Former King of Posts

strathaar wrote:
Ya know, I quit reading comics completely in the 90s, mainly because of how DC #()#%( everything up.

Funny, I feel the same way about what DC has been doing for the past 5 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next