Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dark Knight Movie Masters Cancelled?
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:20 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I got this e-mail for all 2 and half waves of the new Movie Masters
(which I placed as soon as they went on sale). I wonder if Mattel is
never releaseing Two Face, Proto Batman, and the new Jokers now?:

Thank you for ordering from Entertainment Earth. We have been
notified by
the manufacturer that we will not be receiving any additional
shipments of
Batman: The Dark Knight Movie Masters Wave 5 Case, (Item MTP6167A),
because they have discontinued production of this item at this point
in time. The item has been removed from your order.

If so, I'm done with all Mattel products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:05 am 
3 3/4"

not sure where I read it, but I think ToyGuru said that movie masters may be done cause of LACK of retail support....not sure if it's that or the fact that every toys r us and walmart Ive been to have a bout 200 of these POS still hanging on the pegs....Mattel must not care, remember people, JLU/DCIH all these things we like cost probably $1 to make, must be too much trouble and money for a company that has BARBIE in it's arsenal....

meks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:13 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I dropped JLU after my 20th Batman and Superman out of the 3 packs to get some warped, kitbased looking figure. Infinite Heroes I bought Batman, Superman, and the Flash, and was through as they look worse than the toys I had in the 80s. DCUC and the Movie Masters were the last two lines Mattel produced I was interested in. They essentially released 5 distinct figures in a whole year, which is what killed the line. If they did cancel Two Face, I'll likely drop DCUC as well. The quality control sucks, they are cheap on new molding and many of the figures end up looking like bad customs, and they're impossible to find at retail.

They don't need chase figures as almost all fo the figures are chase figures and impossible to find. I was looking more forward to Keaton and Reeve Superman Movie Masters, that were implied at all of the conventions. I hope they loose the license to a company that knows how to manage it, such as what Toy Biz had managed with Marvel or Kenner/Hasbro had with Star Wars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:45 am 
Fugitive Dust

If these are canceled for retail, I think there's a good chance they'll be offered through Mattycollector.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:16 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I can't belive it's been nearly a year and we still haven't even gotten a Two-Face figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:53 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hopefully someone can get a question in on this in one of the Ask Mattels. BBTS, ToyRocket, and SciFiGenre still have them up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:50 am 
buzz word garbage hater

Yeah, I'd really love to see some of the ones that have been seen/rumored. Would be a bummer if they get canceled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:53 am 
Prototype

TheSoundwaveGuy wrote:
I can't belive it's been nearly a year and we still haven't even gotten a Two-Face figure.

Yeah, I knew it'd take a while for Two Face and Harvey to come out but never imagined it would be this long! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:08 pm 
Factory Worker

i just hope they still offer 2 face., Bank robber joker would be nice too and a keaton batman and reeves superman but after that i don't care much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:30 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

They had production size samples on display at NYCC for *most* of the new figures which would mean that the tooling has to be done. If that's the case I fully expect to see them get released somehow in an attempt to get those costs back.

The cancellation from EE may just mean that they've cancelled those particular cases and reconfiguring the pack-outs to something more "collector friendly". It could also mean that there isn't enough on-line support (since brick-n-mortar seems to have no interest in the line anymore which makes sense with the movie gone -- really, how many movies besides Star Wars can keep retail interest without a movie?) to produce the packs "as is". I think Poe has the mostly likely plan, though. The line screams for MattyCollector now especially with them moving into other film territories with Ghostbusters. MM 2-packs could fill the DC-less months for a bit -- Bank Robber Joker/Interrogation Joker, Bruce Wayne/Proto-Suit Batman, Harvey Dent/Two-Face... no more chases that way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:51 pm 
ABS

batman1939 wrote:
Hopefully someone can get a question in on this in one of the Ask Mattels. BBTS, ToyRocket, and SciFiGenre still have them up

Yeah but if the last set of answers we got from Mattel were any indication then the answers to this question will be "It's because our vendor closed down last year" or "If we have enough fan support..." or the ever popular "The retailer decides what to carry in stock." I try to give Mattel the benefit of the doubt but I have yet to see a JLU 3 pack with WarHawk/Old Bruce/BB Batman or the Amanda Waller set and I NEVER saw Volcana in my area. Now my local Target no longer carries any JLU product which forces me to go 20 miles away from home five days a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:06 pm 
Master of the Interwebs

Saw a "prototype" of Bruce Wayne in spelunking gear during a recent toy run in Hong Kong. The ski mask is made of rubber and fits onto the head quite nicely.

http://www.afhub.com/movie-masters-bruc ... g-costume/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:20 am 
MINT!

This is all horribly sad news, if true. Hopefully we'll be able to pick up BIg Bad Harv on MattyCollector if nothing else...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:54 am 
5" Scale

As long as I can get the Two-Face figure that was shown, I don't really mind the line going away. If we were really going to start getting figures from all the DC live action properties it would be awesome, but since it just seems to be Bale, Ledger and goon variants, I can live with what I already own.

I want that Two-Face, though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:35 am 
Infinite Hero

We'll see these figures somewhere, sometime....

...since we've seen test-shots (as evidenced by vader's picture above) the tooling is done and Mattel wants/needs to recoup that cost.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/