Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel's SDCC exclusives prices revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:04 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Cut and pasted from the Ask Mattel thread for July, taken from Matty's Facebook page:

Egon with Slimer - $20.00
He-Ro with SDCC stamp - $20.00
CARS Firefighter Mater set - $30.00
JLU Green Lantern 3 Pack - $20.00
MOTU Art book - $50.00
Buzz Lightyear with chase ANDY on foot- $15.00
Wonder Twins with Gleek - $40.00
3 3/4" AntiMonitor $10.00 or free with 50 points

Some of these are reasonably priced, but some are not.

$20 for the Green Lantern set? That's a bit much, don't you think? One new body and two new headsculpts do not equal a $20 price point. Nope!

Wonder Twins with Gleek is $40? Wow, damn. Ten bucks more than King Grayskull was, and twenty more than what Grundy was. Electronics and fancy packaging don't warrant a ten or twenty dollar price hike. Not even for Gleek, who isn't even packaged in the set.

And my personal favorite, the $30 Cars Mater set! Yeah, ten bucks per individual car. Lightning Storm McQueen was what, fifteen bucks? Man, cars collectors get the shaft on this one.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:13 am 
Unbreakable

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised with the $20 pricetag. I thought for sure it would be $30.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:25 am 
active in the community

Me too - $20's great. I'm very pleased!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:14 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

$20 is perfect - like the others I was expecting $30. The Shayera / Ray pack was pretty much the same thing. Two new headsculpts on reused bodies. So I can handle $20 for this one.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

$20 is reasonable for a Con exclusive that they are making available in limited numbers (probably limited to the amount they can sell! :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:17 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

To me the only thing that looks overpriced is the MOTU book. But at only 1000 copies I'm sure its more limited than the other exclusives. Can't say for sure though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:24 am 
Knows his stuff

The MOTU art book doesn't seem so overpriced when people are paying $150+ for it on eBay.

If the Wonder Twins set will cost $40 on Matty Collector w/o Gleek I may pass on it. The packaging is cool, but not $10-15 cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:25 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Gah, I wish I didn't want, like, all of these!

Not that I don't understand the prices. I just see things quickly adding up!

Wish the MOTU book was cheaper. Oh, and wasn't the Shayera 3 pack only 10 bucks? Comic-Con is no cheap endeavor. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:26 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

I was expecting $15 tops for the GL set. Still, it's JLU, and a Hal Jordan of sorts. I'm not terribly upset, just a bit sticker shocked.

The MOTU book's print run of 1,000 is too low in my opinion. There are way more than 1,000 hardcore He-Man fans out there who want one of these.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject: Re: Mattel's SDCC exclusives prices revealed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:30 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Howard the Duck wrote:
Cut and pasted from the Ask Mattel thread for July, taken from Matty's Facebook page:

Egon with Slimer - $20.00
He-Ro with SDCC stamp - $20.00
CARS Firefighter Mater set - $30.00
JLU Green Lantern 3 Pack - $20.00
MOTU Art book - $50.00
Buzz Lightyear with chase ANDY on foot- $15.00
Wonder Twins with Gleek - $40.00
3 3/4" AntiMonitor $10.00 or free with 50 points

Some of these are reasonably priced, but some are not.

$20 for the Green Lantern set? That's a bit much, don't you think? One new body and two new headsculpts do not equal a $20 price point. Nope!

Wonder Twins with Gleek is $40? Wow, damn. Ten bucks more than King Grayskull was, and twenty more than what Grundy was. Electronics and fancy packaging don't warrant a ten or twenty dollar price hike. Not even for Gleek, who isn't even packaged in the set.

And my personal favorite, the $30 Cars Mater set! Yeah, ten bucks per individual car. Lightning Storm McQueen was what, fifteen bucks? Man, cars collectors get the shaft on this one.

thats alot of money for the twins minus gleek. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:34 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Not that Im happy about the prices but these are exactly what I figured they would be (although I was expecting 40 for the book)

Usually figures are at least 50% more to double at SDCC then regular- although Hasbro Toy Shop usually bucks that trend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:21 am 
Mint on Card

Prices aren't bad. I'm glad the GL pack is 20. But shouldn't this mean the Matty 4-packs should be 25? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:37 am 
We're going streaking!

Prices are about what I expected. I kind of wish I took one of these on-line retailers up on the Wonder Twins w/ Gleek Set for $65 since I think it will go for more on eBay, but it's not a 'need' set and since I am first in line here on the AFI Mattel SDCC Exclusive list for a Wonder Twins Set w/ Gleek ( :D ), hopefully I will get one for $40 plus shipping. Wasn't Lobo $25 last year?

And, yes, it does add up quick, and this is just the Mattel stuff! I just dropped $52 on a pre-order for the AFX Champions Minimate Box Set and Diamond Select Angry Stay Puft Marshmellow Man :( I haven't counted any costs for the Hasbro stuff I want yet (double :( ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:50 am 
my tummy itches

Whew! $20 for the GL set is the uppermost of what I was hoping for. Anything less than that would've been gravy, anything more than that would've cut into my already huge August new toy bill.

$60 for 3 sets is so much better than $90 for 3 sets!

Awesome news!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:50 am 
Factory Worker

I expected the SDCC JLU exclusive set to be at least $20.00. To be honest, I figured that it would actually be $30.00 but I was hoping that it wouldn't go that high in price.

$20.00 for the SDCC JLU exclusive is tolerable. Anything higher in price than what it already is would have been slightly ridiculous for me to justify paying for. However, I probably would have paid WHATEVER Mattel decided to charge for the exclusive just so I could have my collection current and as close to complete as I can realistically make it.

Yeah...I'm a Mattel/JLU tool and am messed in the head. :D

F.Y.I. I am looking for old Batman/Superman animated figures. I need Killer Croc, Manbat, Ventriliquist, Alfred, Riddler and Lois Lane.