Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:24 am 
ABS

Man I've been on the forums for like half a yr or more and I've never seen soooooo many negative comments about Mattel. Sure there was the Hal Jordan announcement but that lasted a night. The one guy said it best I'm not a fan of Mattel I just love the licenses they have. Your burying yourself Mattel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:49 am 
shirtless hugger

Part of the Gleek debacle may have been poor quality control. I bought one Wonder Twins set and received one Gleek. After going around the back of the booth to inspect my purchases, I discovered that the Gleek figure had black marks ALL OVER HIM. It was as if someone had attacked him with a Sharpie. One of the women from the booth happened to be standing there when I discovered this. I showed him to her and she offered to replace the figure. She took the damaged figure from me and said that she would look into whether or not more of the Gleeks had similar problems. Could you imagine if a whole slew of Gleeks were produced but had to be trashed because of this?

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:11 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

JediJones wrote:
You guys have to read this posted by TravelNurseRN on RTM. It may hold the real reason Gleek ran out early:

Quote:
THE TRUTH ABOUT GLEEK:

Many people got more FREE Gleek's than bought Wonder Twins. On Wednesday, people kept going back up to claim their order was incorrect and missing Gleek, and the idiots at the counter would just throw a handful into their bag. I bumped into one of the local scalpers from Frank & Son's and he told me that one guy he knew got 6 free Gleeks. My girlfriend waited in line for me when I went to the Hasbro line. For my ONE WonderTwin set they threw THREE Gleeks into the bag. Multiply this by the many scumbags who would go back and claim they never received one, and it's no wonder they ran out by Friday!! The Mattel booth was so badly handled this year, even after getting my Gleek I still want to quit collecting their products in fear of next years inevitable fiasco! My girlfriend waited in Mattel's line from open to close on Wednesday without getting to buy anthing because they never capped their line before the show closed like Hasbro and the others did. They did not limit the MOTU art books, and one guy walked away with 25 of them! And please, don't ask for my extra Gleeks, they are already spoken for. Shame I didn't get more to share the love with my fellow collectors though.

The only real thing odd about this-- is I have not seen a single auction on ebay for Gleek by himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:10 am 
Joint Unfreezer

Joe G. wrote:
Part of the Gleek debacle may have been poor quality control. I bought one Wonder Twins set and received one Gleek. After going around the back of the booth to inspect my purchases, I discovered that the Gleek figure had black marks ALL OVER HIM. It was as if someone had attacked him with a Sharpie. One of the women from the booth happened to be standing there when I discovered this. I showed him to her and she offered to replace the figure. She took the damaged figure from me and said that she would look into whether or not more of the Gleeks had similar problems. Could you imagine if a whole slew of Gleeks were produced but had to be trashed because of this?

You would think Mattel would have checked the Gleeks before bringing them to SDCC. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Mattel SDCC Discussions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:01 pm 
The Last Word

UncleMarsellus wrote:
toylad wrote:

MOTUC

After orko and she-ra, i don't care as long as i am able to get one someday. What you showed looks good. Battlecat looks Hasbro cheap. Theplastic is just so poor.

Don't you mean "Mattel cheap?" I frequent the Star Wars, GI Joe, and Transformer lines and feel their QC and plastic to be better than much of the competition in mass market toy lines.

Yeah, that one threw me, too. Mattel wishes their toys were "Hasbro cheap". :lol:

tekwych wrote:
See this is my opinion of JLU - A waste of tooling, marketing, and plastic to appease a dwindling pool of fans that that haven't figured out that the line died over a year ago. I just don't bother to post about it because belittling someone else's taste in figures is is a waste of every ones time.

Interestingly enough, I've added nineteen new figures to my JLU collection over the last year. That's pretty good for a line that, "died over a year ago."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:40 pm 
Collector Inspector

Of what new figures where announced at comic con....

With the exception of the new Brave and the Bold stuff shown...
There really wasn't anything else shown that just made me say "I want that!!".
Alot of stuff I'll probably get, yes, but alot I'm just not that excited about.
I'll probably end up getting the 3.75in Public Enemies line. Granted, seeing the movie might massively swimg my attitude towards gotta having these.
Maybe a some of the upcoming JLU stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:43 am 
Collector Inspector

Mattel may have had enough Gleeks, who knows. Check out where some of em went...

http://www.thefwoosh.com/2009/07/gleek-week-mattel-and-fwoosh-powers-activate

I gotta tell ya, while this irks me slightly, I would be highly pissed off if I was at the Con, waited in line and wasn't able to get one, then found out that TG personally handed over handfuls of the little blue monkey to a fansite.

Awesome job, yet again Mattel...and a big bravo especially for you, TG. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:18 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

What's up with that?!?

Are we at AFI getting anything set up like that? Where are the GLeeks for us?

Or are we all going to share in a collective "ooh and ahh" over Dan's win of the 30" Anti-Monitor? (Not that I'm ragging on you Dan, I already gave you props in the other thread, you lucky bastich)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:20 am 
Aspires to be #1

I guess I'll post this here instead of a new thread but why are those new 2 in. JLU figures 25 dollars? I can get 6 of the normal ones for 20. That's not a good deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:23 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Ummm ... 'cuz the are a TRU exclusive now? Do they need any other reason than that? I didn't think so either... :?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:05 am 
Fugitive Dust

I had placed this in the wrong thread but I think it belongs here:

I thought Mattel was going to make announcements about on-line sales for DCUC and an expanded website. Maybe I misread, but I was really looking forward to that.

And I don't know but none of the announcements really floored me. Wave 10 we knew about, and Wave 11 just doesn't seem that great. The Silver Age Shark just looks terrible; I'm not sure how this guy got made into a figure or who wanted him. I think I want Kilowog, so hopefully Shark won't have a C&C piece.

Then there are the new lines (I guess that's what they are) for Public Enemies. I wouldn't have minded those characters as DCUC but they look a little too different for the line I'm collecting. And Icicle looks terrible too; way too bulky.

Anyway, that’s the way I feel. The "NO! We won't sell you Gleek!" fiasco has really drained a lot of interest from me. I’m really dubious that I’ll find Wave 10, especially Power Girl or Man-Bat , and if that happens I really will be done.

In today’s day and age why isn’t everything available to order on-line? Honestly, Mattel I’m willing to give you a lot of money, but you sure work hard not to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:07 am 
Aspires to be #1

They didn't announce it at the show but I read somewhere that they are still planning on wave 9 being on their site.