Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattell raising DCUC prices for Wave 11 - See Inside
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:32 pm 
An Insider

I saw a post on a website ->

From bbts on the wave 11 pre-order.

Please Note: Mattel has increased the pricing on DC Universe figures for wave 11 and on by over 30% on the wholesale level. We have reduced our margins slightly to help to lower the impact of the price increase, but the new price structure still results in a price increase, we apologize for the inconvenience.

So does this mean higher prices at like Walmart, Target, an TRU?? UGh

Can we confirm this by chance ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:38 pm 
We're going streaking!

Well, I think most Walmarts are now charging $12.97 per DCUC figure. That could go up by Wave 10 (Walmart exclusive wave) or Wave 11.

Target is still at $10.99 or $11.89 (depending on where you are), but I don't expect that to last much longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:00 pm 
ABS

This better not happen. I think the local Target is charging $11.98 currently and that's already too much. $9.99 should've been the cap. Not to mention, the price increase comes at a time when I want to get all of the figures in a wave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:03 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Oh, it's happening. This has been discussed for awhile on Fwoosh, and here too, I think.

From what I've heard, we can expect to see them in the $14 to $15 range at retail too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:15 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Yea we've already discussed this at length about a month or so ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:52 pm 
Dog Squeezer

This is going to happen with EVERYTHING anyone buys (not just toys)

It's called inflation :( It's the result of our government spending and/or planning to spend money it doesn't have... it cheapens the dollar so badly that our own currency's buying power, here at HOME, is far weaker than it has been.

It's more complicated than that, but, essentially, that's the deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:58 am 
declined to be a vampire

people will still buy, but they will see a hit in sales. Me personally...if they start hitting 15 bucks...I'll start buying DC Direct again. Better quality figures for the same price.

Yes...inflation should be expected...but 5-6 years ago DCSH came in at 8 bucks. Now possibly 15 dollars? 7 dollars worth of inflation over 5-6 years is insane.

It's like the whole comic book industry (I posted about this a while ago). Comics rose about 40 cents over 60 years...then 3 dollars over 10 years. Sales go bad so prices go up. Sales go bad so prices go up. Someone isn't getting something here.

I can tell you this much...if the CnC isn't something I'm interested in, it will save me money. If it is...i'll probably try to piece it together online. 14-15 dollars a figure per 8 figures a line...not going to make my wife happy.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

Post subject: Re: Mattell raising DCUC prices for Wave 11 - See Inside
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:21 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Dxtra30 wrote:
I saw a post on a website ->

From bbts on the wave 11 pre-order.

Please Note: Mattel has increased the pricing on DC Universe figures for wave 11 and on by over 30% on the wholesale level. We have reduced our margins slightly to help to lower the impact of the price increase, but the new price structure still results in a price increase, we apologize for the inconvenience.

So does this mean higher prices at like Walmart, Target, an TRU?? UGh

Can we confirm this by chance ?

We were discussing this a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure it was the thread that turned to politics and got locked...

Please, keep this one on topic, guys!... :wink:

Bunger43 wrote:
It's like the whole comic book industry (I posted about this a while ago). Comics rose about 40 cents over 60 years...then 3 dollars over 10 years. Sales go bad so prices go up. Sales go bad so prices go up. Someone isn't getting something here.

Thing is, the less you sell of something there's less sold to spread the cost over. The printing part isn't the real expense of comics, it's the artists, the colorists, writers, editors, and all of the other overhead, the printing part is the cheap part of the equation by comparison. Granted the pay scale for the talent has gone up considerably since the golden age but there's no one that would stand for the generally crude artwork or stories of the 40s in today's market. Cutting back on those costs would be the end of the comic industry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:49 am 
5" Scale

Boombot wrote:
This better not happen. I think the local Target is charging $11.98 currently and that's already too much. $9.99 should've been the cap. Not to mention, the price increase comes at a time when I want to get all of the figures in a wave.

$9.99? are you living in 2002? Hasbro is charging almost that for their 3 3/4" Marvel figures. The days of $10 6" figures is way over my friend, its sucks, but the way it is.

for me I have no issue paying $12-$15 for these figures, its one of the best figure lines to date, along with the MOTUC line. Would i rather pay less, of course, but you have to be realistic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:15 pm 
ABS

fball13z wrote:
Boombot wrote:

$9.99? are you living in 2002? Hasbro is charging almost that for their 3 3/4" Marvel figures. The days of $10 6" figures is way over my friend, its sucks, but the way it is.

for me I have no issue paying $12-$15 for these figures, its one of the best figure lines to date, along with the MOTUC line. Would i rather pay less, of course, but you have to be realistic.

Like others have already said, less than a year ago when I first started collecting this line, DCUC waves 1, 2, and 3 were selling for $9.99. That's at TARGET out of all places. I just got back from there and now they're at $11.89. Practically a $2 price increase in less than a year for the same line? Now, we'll be seeing a rumored $2 minimum increase (maybe even $3). As for Hasbro, their Marvel figures are $2 less than $9.99; that's a considerable difference.

Yeah, DCUC is one of the best lines to date but there's a point when it gets unreasonable to pay that much for it. I am realistic; I realize that businesses these days are just trying to gain more and more profits. There's no way costs have increase roughly $5 on every figure since 2 years from the upcoming waves' release (11 & 12). Not to mention, this is a line that barely ever sees a new sculpt. This line has been using the same male body for a long time and continues to do so. New tooling/sculpting is minimal. I believe they haven't even done a C&C as big as Marvel Legends' tallest BAF. (Not to sound like an ML fanboy, because I'm really not, but I'm just trying to point out that the C&Cs shouldn't raise costs that much either.)

Last edited by Boombot on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:29 pm 
declined to be a vampire

fball13z wrote:
Boombot wrote:

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. 12 bucks is about the max for figures for me, simply because I'm spending so much cash everywhere else. If they want us to keep buying multiple lines...there has to be a happy medium. Can I spend 14 bucks a figure? Sure. Will I continue to buy JLA and DCIH? Nope. Same with comics: Short of the Crisis type events, I'm not buying any book over 2.99 now. 3 bucks is my limit on normal books. It sucks because I'm a lifelong superman fan, but 40 bucks for a comic book is rediculous.

Hopefully TRU online will keep them a big cheaper (9.99 is what they are now)

basically...

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:42 am 
Collector Inspector

I saw at my walmart also that DCUC is now $13 compared to marvel legends $10.50.
I think its kinda ridiculous.
Whats funny is my walmart also had the ML Nemesis wave right next door to the $13 DCUC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:58 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

BBTS is offering pre-orders for wave 11 at $16.99 per figure or $124 for a set 8 (Gl John, GL Katma, SC Cyborg Supes, SA Shark, Deadman, Question and Steppenwolf in each variant).

CSC is offering preorders for the set of 8 only at this point for $118.

Amazon and TRU.com don't have listings for wave 11 yet so I am not sure what their prices will be.

Guess the price increase is official.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 am 
active in the community

Wow if this is the case with them making the price higher i wonder what Companys are going to sell the New Mattel WWE line for. My family is going to kill me with getting both these lines Plus the New Ghostbusters line. Im a Dead Man