Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Help RE: JLU(Mattel) compatibility with Kenner Vehicle
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:08 am 
serves the Otter

Hey, guys! I've noticed that not all of the vehicles produced by Kenner (for the old Batman Animated series) are compatible with the current batch of Mattel figures. I even found an old thread where Ham Salad explained the differences between the JLU Batplane and the Kenner version.

However, my question is with regards to the Batcycles produced by Kenner (pictured below courtesy of Ham Salad's Photostream). They are the Mission Masters & Team Batcycle versions.
ImageImage

Okay...

1) First of all, I was wondering if the Batcycles themselves are compatible with the other Batman/Nightwing figures from the same line? I know that there is an issue of "handgrips" and the way they are positioned; but I'm more concerned about the width of the seat in relation to the space available in between a normal Nightwing's legs.

In other words, can the following pose be achieved between the Kenner Nightwing and the Kenner Batcycles?

2) The next question has to do with seat height. That is... can the following pose be achieved between the new JLU Nightwing and the old Mission Masters/Team Batcycle motorcycles? Or is the seat in the old Kenner Batcycles set "too high" for the new Nightwing's legs to reach the floor?

Thanks in advance, guys!

Post subject: Re: Need Help RE: JLU(Mattel) compatibility with Kenner Vehi
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:10 am 
shirtless hugger

I can’t get to mine to compare, but this is how I recall them.

No, I don’t think it would not look right with Nightwings legs pointed backwards. The Kenner Batman had no knee joints so the Batman’s on that Batcycle were pointed forwards at a down angle. Also Batman’s hands were open and turned with palms facing backwards so he could grip the handle bars. Most Batman figures that have open palms have them facing their sides to hold weapons. Nightwing as I recall has closed fists.

You can see a little of this in my picture with the Batcycle on the far right

What Batcyle do you have Nightwing on in those pictures? It looks a little like The Dark Knight Collection Batcycle, but not quite.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:23 pm 
serves the Otter

I got confused with all the negatives in that second sentence, so I'll try to keep it simple and hope people don't mind explaining things twice to an idiot like me.

1- The Batcycle pictured is from the ToyBiz Keaton Batman movie figures. I like it because it's all black (matches Batmobiles) and fits "most" straight legged animated figures like Robin (Grayson), Batgirl and Nightwing. It does not work that well with Animated Batman figures made by Kenner & Mattel (b/c their shoulders are too wide).

2- Kenner Nightwings have two open fists, both facing in (like Lobo).

3- The handle bar on these bikes is not an issue. Batman Beyond's Strikecycle fixed this problem.

4- My concern is with spacing for the "regular" figures legs. I noticed that Kenner tooled new legs for Batman & Nightwing. So I'm wondering if the legs on the "standard/show accurate" versions of Batman & Nightwing are too narrow.

5- The Kenner Nightwing doesn't have to be posed exactly like mine. I just want to know if the space in between a regular figure's legs is enough for them to still "saddle" the bike (regardless of hand grip).

6- There is also the issue of "saddle" height and whether Mattel's re-issued Nightwing can still reach the floor.

7- Flabat, thanks for your help! You know you are always my go-to guy for Batman info. The only reason I went public is because those Kenner Batcycles are a bit pricey and I would like to display them with "Show Accurate" Batman & Nightwing figures instead of using the "red colored" versions that come with the vehicle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:54 pm 
Cold-cast

http://byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1&TPN=4
If this link even works- just scroll down the page a bit.

I once customized the Team Batcycle Nightwing figure into a riding pose and re-painted him and the bike (to hide the terrible orange-ness) I just cut him up and glued him back together in the proper positioning, bent the knees and elbows. I had to add some sculpy to his throat area to tilt his head up so he could 'see where he was going'.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:56 pm 
Cold-cast

crap, I dunno how to post images because I'm a caveman.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:32 pm 
shirtless hugger

red Ricky wrote:
1- The Batcycle pictured is from the ToyBiz Keaton Batman movie figures. I like it because it's all black (matches Batmobiles) and fits "most" straight legged animated figures like Robin (Grayson), Batgirl and Nightwing. It does not work that well with Animated Batman figures made by Kenner & Mattel (b/c their shoulders are too wide).

Cool, I did not know about that one.

Thanks Red Ricky

http://batmanytb.com/actionfiguresanddolls/actionfigures/movies/toybiz/vehicles/toybizbatcycle.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:01 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Very nice Batcycle! I'll try to get my hands on that. Didn't even know that existed to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:32 pm 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

red Ricky wrote:
Hey, guys! I've noticed that not all of the vehicles produced by Kenner (for the old Batman Animated series) are compatible with the current batch of Mattel figures. I even found an old thread where Ham Salad explained the differences between the JLU Batplane and the Kenner version.

However, my question is with regards to the Batcycles produced by Kenner (pictured below courtesy of Ham Salad's Photostream). They are the Mission Masters & Team Batcycle versions.
ImageImage

Which one is which?

I just got the blue & silver one w/side car, but I wanted the black one.

I guess I could paint it if I can't trade it in.

AFi Positive Feedback: +198

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:17 pm 
serves the Otter

The black one is from The New Batman Adventures Mission Masters line. And I would just wait for a chance to get the real thing and save the Silver Cycle for another character.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:14 pm 

It took me 2yrs to find the silver one. I can't imagine how long it will be until I find the black batcycle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:34 am 
Bob Vila

I have the black one and use it for Nightwing, since that's the one he used in the New Adventures of Batman cartoon.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:13 am 

That's my plan as well, someday. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:41 am 
serves the Otter

I got mine on Ebay for around $25 dollars and with no hassles from other buyers. I heard that you don't do Paypal or credit cards; but if you've waited 2 years, it might be time to reconsider. Or at least look into someone buying it for you. Just a thought on account that vehicles are a bit more rare and not many people have extras for trading.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:43 pm 

I can wait until I find the black one other than on ebay.

When I do get one, I might customize the blue/silver one into Batgirl's cycle, if I decide to keep it.