Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: JLU collection...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:08 pm 
Cold-cast

For sale...

TOTALLY KIDDING!

You never really know how many you have until you go to move 'em.

Post subject: Re: JLU collection...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:12 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Word of advice...

I wouldn't keep them like that for very long at all. JLU figures have a tendency to "melt" right onto another figure even if they aren't in a warm room. I'd try my best not to let any of them touch each other. I guarantee there are several other AFIers here that can attest to this "melting" or paint rubs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:28 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Wow...I didn't know about the melting/paint rubs if the figures touch each other. I have mine all individually bagged right now but I am having a terrible time with the white mold... Even if I clean them it comes back again and again...and it seems to be spreading. Has there been any definitive solution on how to fix this?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:34 pm 
Knows his stuff

The paint will definitely rub off onto other figures. I let my nephews play with my extra figures when they come over (because I will KILL them if they touch my displayed collection), and I keep all my extra Supermen, John Stewarts, etc. piled in a box like you have shown in your picture. Every once in a while, I'll look at a figure and wonder why my extra Hawkman has red paint on his wing, or why extra Orion has a smeared paint job. I thought it was just my nephews playing rough, but it was just the figures touching.

I recently moved, and I put all of the figures in separate Ziploc sandwich bags. It took some time to put them all in bags, but I didn't have any problem with paint rub when I took them out of the bags.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:40 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

jamiwa3 wrote:
The paint will definitely rub off onto other figures. I let my nephews play with my extra figures when they come over (because I will KILL them if they touch my displayed collection), and I keep all my extra Supermen, John Stewarts, etc. piled in a box. Every once in a while, I'll look at a figure and wonder why my extra Hawkman has red paint on his wing, or why extra Orion has a smeared paint job. I thought it was just my nephews playing rough, but it was just the figures touching.

I recently moved, and I put all of the figures in separate Ziploc sandwich bags. It took some time to put them all in bags, but I didn't have any problem with paint rub when I took them out of the bags.

I had a few spares like this, and one time I gave them to some young kids who accompanied their parents to a barbecue at my place. Earlier that day I had just gotten a new LCD TV in the living room. Part way into the gathering, I noticed a bunch of scratches on the screen, and indignantly decided Best Buy had sold me some defective set which was open box or something. I took it back the next day and argued vociferously that they were at fault, and they totally didn't buy it (though I did, honestly). After I got them to replace it and took my new TV home, I took a closer look at one of the played-with Supermen and the front of his hair was totally rubbed off. Oops...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:13 pm 
Hat Pooper

Yeah, I had my figures displayed on a shelf but they kept falling down and I was pretty sick of picking them up every day so I put them in a box. It's not really a bad temperature in the room but I did notice that some of the paint does smudge onto the others. More with people with capes though! I think I got some of Dr. Light's white boot on Martian Manhunter's blue cape? Nothing major though! You will most likely find little paint smudges though if ya leave em' in there long enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:22 pm 
Cold-cast

Oh, they were only like that for when I shifted them from one room to another. They're back on shelves now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:15 am 
Wonderdog

Interesting how it seems to be either/or with the paint melt vs. the white mold (for me it's the paint melt). Must have something to do with climate. Has anyone experienced both?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:31 am 
ABS

I got both! My Shade gathered the mossy white substance and my JL Batman and Superman got stuck by the cape. Batman's grey cape melted onto the back of Superman's white one. Boy, was I ticked... thankfully, it was just for the brainiac-controlled repaints. Oh, and my Gigantas' dresses are slowly cracking. Very soon I will have two naked figures on my shelves.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:48 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

spacemonkeymikey wrote:
Oh, they were only like that for when I shifted them from one room to another. They're back on shelves now.

Shwoooo (wipes sweat from brow) that's good to know. I was getting nervous staring at that nice white Gentleman Ghost laying on top of Mr Terrific lol!

I didn't mean to derail your thread BTW. I just thought you'd rather not have your collection ruined if you didn't know about the JLU melting plague :roll: lol