Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:39 pm 
shirtless hugger

I still can't get over how Shadow Weaver was made into an exclusive that most people can't afford on the secondary market.

I lucked out in finding someone willing to sell it for a reasonable price...I suspect most are still watching Ebay and crossing their fingers for a deal.

Well, the reveals were pretty good - Casta's looking good, and Shokoti is spot-on. I'm bummed Octavia's tentacles won't bend, and I'm a little concerned with her pointy crotch-piece (why do they have so much trouble getting crotches right?)

All in all, happy as I am to hear more Filmation characters are on the way, this line is starting to get really, really expensive (40 a figure?! Yow!) and it's still quite the wait between She-Ra-related ones...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:06 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

All of the sub exclusives should be fan demanded characters at this point. It's one of many viable methods to get people to sub up, something that this line clearly needs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:30 pm 
shirtless hugger

Fine by me - just don't make it She-Ra characters.

This line has always catered to the He-Fans, first and foremost. Taking one of the few She-Ra characters coming down the line (we seem to get about four a year), and then making her an exclusive reward for subbers just punishes She-Ra fans.

Why would a She-Ra fan sign up for a subscription to a He-Man toyline? Are we all expected to swallow the cost of 10 to 14 He-Man toys a year just to get four She-Ra ones?

It's insane.

They could easily have put aside several highly-demanded He-Man characters to use as incentives/rewards for subbers. But no - they go with the most highly-demanded She-Ra character never made in plastic :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:42 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

DisneyBoy wrote:
Fine by me - just don't make it She-Ra characters.

This line has always catered to the He-Fans, first and foremost. Taking one of the few She-Ra characters coming down the line (we seem to get about four a year), and then making her an exclusive reward for subbers just punishes She-Ra fans.

Why would a She-Ra fan sign up for a subscription to a He-Man toyline? Are we all expected to swallow the cost of 10 to 14 He-Man toys a year just to get four She-Ra ones?

It's insane.

They could easily have put aside several highly-demanded He-Man characters to use as incentives/rewards for subbers. But no - they go with the most highly-demanded She-Ra character never made in plastic :evil:

I agree and disagree at the same time. I'll take my POP whatever way I can get them in the line. Shadow Weaver as a sub exclusive filled an extra slot:) I'm a subber, but I like most of the figures, but if I had to pick one faction as a favorite, it would be She-Ra fans. But I do see your point, if POP is all you buy it does suck, but your in the minority. The days of buying out of sub are coming to a close though, so I don't know what you're going to do in the future, it's really going to be hit or miss with figures available DOS.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:37 am 
Resin

Plus they're probably thinking that most people who like POP aren't JUST buying POP, if you want Shadow Weaver, chances are you want most of the He-man guys too.

Can't necessarily say the same for the He-man fans, there are many of them who are only interested in MOTU characters and don't want POP stuff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:49 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Seriously, there are enough guys over at the .org who bellyache everytime a POP character is announced that you should have no trouble making a deal to buy those figures off of them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:27 am 
An Insider

I don't mind the occasional POP figure but past POP offerings have been what made me not sub in the past. I just don't want to be forced to buy brightly colored "girly" characters like the Star Sisters or Netossa. Although with the way this years sub is going and with no day of sale for Fang Man I will probably sub next year. I don't have anything against POP characters in general I just don't think some of them fit well with my He-Man collection. Swiftwind was as far as I was willing to go into the rainbow color schemes for my shelf.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:22 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Got my Ram Man and Jitsu today! Well, yesterday. Soooooo pleased with those two figures. Jitsu was my favorite MOTU by a longshot as a kid, and still is to this day. Fantastic sculpting on both of them.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:35 pm 
Cold-cast

Jim_Abell wrote:
Seriously, there are enough guys over at the .org who bellyache everytime a POP character is announced that you should have no trouble making a deal to buy those figures off of them.

That's assuming they allow you to register without sending them personal information.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:02 pm 
shirtless hugger

What do you mean "personal information"? Has something changed about the sign-up requirements?

I was lucky enough to find someone nice who didn't want their Weaver and also didn't want to gauge me on her. Any other figures I do get will be Day of Sale, or through someone looking to thin out their collections.

I don't mind waiting a bit to track down a figure...but I do mind Mattel making a 20 toy suddenly worth 100+ dollars on the secondary market.

I realize there are probably more He-Man fans than She-Ra fans involved with the line, but that doesn't mean she isn't a huge property. I don't consider myself part of a minority at all. Mattel just doesn't want to put the character up on the same level, or spend any money marketing her.

And while I can understand why the Star Sisters aren't to everyone's tastes (I didn't get them either), I really, really dislike the whole "girly" excuse. Teela is a girl! Sorceress is a girl! There's nothing wrong with girls and in spite of how these characters were marketed some 20+ years ago, they aren't purely for girls :) Guys need to get over some hang-ups I think. Some of the stuff you hear over at the .Org shows how little some mindsets have changed since the schoolyards of yore.

But hey - I don't run Mattel, and I guess She-Ra fans should be happy with what they get, right? :roll: I feel even worse for NA fans, who might be waiting until 2025 to see much of the cast made...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:31 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

alcinde4 wrote:
Got my Ram Man and Jitsu today! Well, yesterday. Soooooo pleased with those two figures. Jitsu was my favorite MOTU by a longshot as a kid, and still is to this day. Fantastic sculpting on both of them.

Agreed! Great figures! Love the sculpt on Ram Man and Jitsu's weapons.

Glad I got the sub so I won't miss Fang Man and Strobo. Getting harder to get past releases on the secondary market and I'm still missing Wun-Dar and Shadow Weaver.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:41 pm 
Cold-cast

DisneyBoy wrote:
What do you mean "personal information"? Has something changed about the sign-up requirements?

I can't speak for everyone, but back when I tried to sign up there, they rejected both my home and work email addresses. Apparently because they were (according to the org) free email accounts or something, despite the fact that they're not. After I emailed them asking about it, they said that if I sent them a non redacted copy of my phone bill, then I could get registered. So yeah, I'm not sending that kind of info just to join a discussion forum. Such is life. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:01 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I'll jump on the bandwagon as well. Jitsu and Ram-man are both grandslams. This has probably been the best MOTU month in quite awhile.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:48 am 
Dog Squeezer

Oklahoma's Man of Steel wrote:
I don't mind the occasional POP figure but past POP offerings have been what made me not sub in the past. I just don't want to be forced to buy brightly colored "girly" characters like the Star Sisters or Netossa. Although with the way this years sub is going and with no day of sale for Fang Man I will probably sub next year. I don't have anything against POP characters in general I just don't think some of them fit well with my He-Man collection. Swiftwind was as far as I was willing to go into the rainbow color schemes for my shelf.

How is Netossa "girly" beyond the fact that she's female? She's a huntress characters with blue, white, and silver colors... Is she not supposed to be pretty? Teela is pretty. The Sorceress has a far more flamboyant costume lol ;)

MOTU is full of many MANY colors... That's one of its appealing characteristics.

Take the time to get to know some of the POP characters now, and you won't be stuck thinking of them as dolls from the 80s in pink packaging... LOL

They all fit. It's all in how you perceive them and/or how familiar you are with them.

The Star Sisters, unfortunately, were a miss in that the 4H didn't modernize the prototype designs... they used the She-Ra magazine/poster designs. The vintage toy prototypes would have been better as source material for new MOTUC Star Sister figures... the vintage prototype of Jewelstar was a deep red (not pepto pink), and Tallstar was red, purple and chrome... SO much cooler.

But the POP characters are no more or less colorful than the MOTU characters... and seeing them reimagined by the 4 Horsemen has convinced a lot of collectors that that portion of the mythos is full of cool characters. We need a LOT more of them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:12 am 
An Insider

The Question wrote:
Oklahoma's Man of Steel wrote:

How is Netossa "girly" beyond the fact that she's female? She's a huntress characters with blue, white, and silver colors... Is she not supposed to be pretty? Teela is pretty. The Sorceress has a far more flamboyant costume lol ;)

MOTU is full of many MANY colors... That's one of its appealing characteristics.

Take the time to get to know some of the POP characters now, and you won't be stuck thinking of them as dolls from the 80s in pink packaging... LOL

They all fit. It's all in how you perceive them and/or how familiar you are with them.

The Star Sisters, unfortunately, were a miss in that the 4H didn't modernize the prototype designs... they used the She-Ra magazine/poster designs. The vintage toy prototypes would have been better as source material for new MOTUC Star Sister figures... the vintage prototype of Jewelstar was a deep red (not pepto pink), and Tallstar was red, purple and chrome... SO much cooler.

But the POP characters are no more or less colorful than the MOTU characters... and seeing them reimagined by the 4 Horsemen has convinced a lot of collectors that that portion of the mythos is full of cool characters. We need a LOT more of them.

Lol, yeah I guess my main perception of them is as being a girls doll line. I know a lot of people like POP. I actually haven't seen any of the POP cartoon and just a few episodes of the original He-Man. My primary reference for these characters is the 2000 era cartoon. I have them in my Netflix que and will hopefully get around to it one day. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 59  Next