Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 59  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 pm 
User avatar
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 859
Location: Las Vegas, NV
I found it - Scott posted a video of it on Facebook, and it compares the new one next to the original and 2002. It's definitely bigger, height wise. Daniel saw it in person, and said its huge.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:36 pm 
User avatar
Grickle Grass Grower
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1480
Image

The base is what makes the drawbridge seem so small. If they lengthen the wooden door by lowering that part of the base (like they said they would try to do), the castle would look a lot bigger compared to the figures.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:32 pm 
User avatar
You hear that? We're using CODE names...
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 am
Posts: 52
Location: New York
There's a new Q&A from the master of disaster himself, Toyguru. Now they will probably eliminate the function where the throne opens the trap door, because of tooling costs. LOL! Just gets better and better...and the pathetic thing about this is, there will still be the same desperate apologists saying that the castle is perfect and worth every penny. LOL!

_________________
THAT, is the question.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:35 pm 
User avatar
You hear that? We're using CODE names...
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 am
Posts: 52
Location: New York
Wildcard wrote:
Image

The base is what makes the drawbridge seem so small. If they lengthen the wooden door by lowering that part of the base (like they said they would try to do), the castle would look a lot bigger compared to the figures.


You do realize that in this pic, they removed the top turrets from the 200X castle right. Plus perspective wise, it's in the far, far background of the pic. If they had compared the new castle to the foam mock-up, more people would realize just how much we've been duped by Mattel.

_________________
THAT, is the question.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:05 pm 
User avatar
Grickle Grass Grower
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1480
Even with the turret from the 200X version attached, the MOTUC castle is still bigger. Yes, the castle is smaller than what we were led to believe but that's not going to stop me from buying it. I know $250 is a lot of money but it's what I would expect from a low-run non-mass market toy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:06 pm 
User avatar
Daniel Pickett
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8208
Location: So Cal
NO ONE HAS BEEN 'DUPED'

Look... I get that it's not exactly what some fans were hoping for, but they have said EVERY STEP OF THE WAY that this is an experiment, that things will change, that it will be a work in progress and that there is the possibility of some features/functions being cut. Mattel has kept us informed every step of the way. It's not like they told us about this at Power-Con, took our $250 and then something showed up at our door that was radically different. NO ONE HAS BEEN CHARGED A DIME FOR THIS YET, so NO ONE has been duped. No "promises" were broken. Mattel isn't your girlfriend that told you that she will love you forever and then cheated on you. You've been in the loop, AND not charged for it.

I think fans obsessing over 2” is ridiculous! Most have never seen this castle in person, so what are they comparing it to? This thing is huge. It's so big that when I was standing next to it at Toy Fair I considered cancelling my order because it's SO LARGE I don't know where I'm gonna put the thing!

Truly, if you find it that offensive that this action figure play set is 2" shorter than a xeroxed drawing glued to some foam core that most fans didn't see in person either and it won’t make you happy then cancel your order, it is that simple. These are toys not medical devises you need to keep you alive.

Am I disappointed that some of the accessories and/or features might be cut from the castle? Absolutely. And when I see what the final version of the castle at comic con I will make my own informed decision if I want to keep my pre-order then.

I don't want you to think that I'm blasting you WHY. This debate/argument... whatever has been raging for 2 weeks on this site, other sites and Facebook.

I get it if you or anyone doesn't like it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I keep seeing this language about being "tricked" "duped" "broken promises" and "bait and switch" - but since no one has been charged for a castle and everyone has the option to cancel their pre-order I just don't get the hostility.

If that makes me an 'apologist' then so be it. But I'd rather be that than some of the "25%'ers" that I've seen on Facebook.

As always, your mileage may vary.
D.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:11 pm 
User avatar
You hear that? We're using CODE names...
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 am
Posts: 52
Location: New York
At this point, I don't really care about the b-sheet or the mock up, I don't care about the fine print, or that they warned us every step of the way, blah blah blah... The simple fact is... and it's really quite simple... The MOTUC Castle Grayskull is not appropriately sized to accommodate the MOTUC action figures. You can rationalize it all you want, It's too small for the figures. There really is no excuse for it. Yes it's big... no argument there. Yeah, the sculpt is fantastic, I agree. But it's too small. Sorry you don't feel like you were duped, but me and hundreds if not more feel that we were... and it's not just the castle, it's 4-5 years worth of lie after lie from Neitlich and Mattel. Why would they let people cancel their order if they didn't think they almost committed some kind of mail fraud? 2" may not seem like much to most... but it is. If He-man can't even walk through the front door comfortably, then I'd say that's a BIG problem. If figures look like half-giants standing around what is supposed to be an epic fortress, That's a BIG problem. If using the fine print as a legal excuse to make it smaller, remove accessories, ect... while raising the price even more sounds kosher to you... then I don't know what to tell ya' LOL! I'm no lawyer... but what they are doing with this castle and how they have sold it is borderline criminal IMO.

_________________
THAT, is the question.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:15 pm 
User avatar
You hear that? We're using CODE names...
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 am
Posts: 52
Location: New York
8)...

_________________
THAT, is the question.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:39 pm 
User avatar
Cold-cast
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:01 pm
Posts: 408
Location: South Carolina
JuliusMarx wrote:
NO ONE HAS BEEN 'DUPED'

Look... I get that it's not exactly what some fans were hoping for, but they have said EVERY STEP OF THE WAY that this is an experiment, that things will change, that it will be a work in progress and that there is the possibility of some features/functions being cut. Mattel has kept us informed every step of the way. It's not like they told us about this at Power-Con, took our $250 and then something showed up at our door that was radically different. NO ONE HAS BEEN CHARGED A DIME FOR THIS YET, so NO ONE has been duped. No "promises" were broken. Mattel isn't your girlfriend that told you that she will love you forever and then cheated on you. You've been in the loop, AND not charged for it.

I think fans obsessing over 2” is ridiculous! Most have never seen this castle in person, so what are they comparing it to? This thing is huge. It's so big that when I was standing next to it at Toy Fair I considered cancelling my order because it's SO LARGE I don't know where I'm gonna put the thing!

Truly, if you find it that offensive that this action figure play set is 2" shorter than a xeroxed drawing glued to some foam core that most fans didn't see in person either and it won’t make you happy then cancel your order, it is that simple. These are toys not medical devises you need to keep you alive.

Am I disappointed that some of the accessories and/or features might be cut from the castle? Absolutely. And when I see what the final version of the castle at comic con I will make my own informed decision if I want to keep my pre-order then.

I don't want you to think that I'm blasting you WHY. This debate/argument... whatever has been raging for 2 weeks on this site, other sites and Facebook.

I get it if you or anyone doesn't like it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I keep seeing this language about being "tricked" "duped" "broken promises" and "bait and switch" - but since no one has been charged for a castle and everyone has the option to cancel their pre-order I just don't get the hostility.

If that makes me an 'apologist' then so be it. But I'd rather be that than some of the "25%'ers" that I've seen on Facebook.

As always, your mileage may vary.
D.


You have a lot of good points there. The only thing I disagree with you really is the 2 inches thing. It really isn't just 2 inches. There's also the raised floor to (I guess) accommodate the wind raider plug. So that's at least another inch (ish). And in 3D, it adds up in total volume lost. Quite a bit. The snowball effect of everything having to be scaled down accordingly makes me wonder if it was on purpose or a happy accident. Like the dungeon. Looking at the pics of Trap Jaw in there, the door only comes up to his chest. And Window as well. That's why I said before, it's wonderfully scaled to 4" or vintage figures now. That would make it perfect to release in a movie year with a 4" line. Mattel could save a ton of money and only make new furniture to go in it. Then poor 4" scale suckers like me would definitely go out and buy them. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:12 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:01 am
Posts: 1978
Location: J Street
Titan Speck wrote:
JuliusMarx wrote:
NO ONE HAS BEEN 'DUPED'
No "promises" were broken. Mattel isn't your girlfriend that told you that she will love you forever and then cheated on you.

I think fans obsessing over 2” is ridiculous!


The only thing I disagree with you really is the 2 inches thing.


Image

_________________
Essential JLU:...1. Jax-Ur...2. Robin (Grayson)...3. Trickster...4. Power Girl...5. Spectre
...6. Chronos...7. Killer Croc w/BabyDoll...8. Felix Faust...9. Poison Ivy...10. Deathstroke
Bonus:...Starfire, Steppenwolf w/Desaad, the Joker's Jokerz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:27 pm 
User avatar
Grickle Grass Grower
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1480
If and when the MOTU movie comes out, chances are the castle will not look too similar to this design. It will be all stylized and less cartoony. They wouldn't use this mold (which is also likely to be a low-run mold) for the movie line.

Though highly unlikely, at this point I just wish sales will be good enough that we get a filmation/toy hybrid of Snake Mountain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:32 am 
User avatar
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 859
Location: Las Vegas, NV
The real difference here is that we're being given a peek behind the curtain, and we're not appreciatin it nearly enough. This is why there is so much secrecy in product development. Had nothing been shown but the final product, mos folks would be in amazement (before the floor gets mentioned, I've heard the floor around the jaw bridge is being lowered for the final product). Remeber that Millenium Falcon we got a few years back? Hasbro's designers confirmed for me that the original mock up was 150% that size. It was truly in scale, and epic. But Hasbro didn't show that mock up, because it didn't cost out (just like Grayskull), and they didn't want to disappoint fans. It was still huge and awesome, and those of us who bought it loved it. Is it a bit small for true movie scale, sure, but it's still awesome. I have a feeling when I see the final castle at SDCC it'll look awesome there too. I think in this instant Information Age we don't always appreciate how good we have it. For those who can't live with a castle that's 8% smaller (not 25%, as some have declared, ignorantly) than the foam mock up we were lucky enough to even see in the first place, then you shouldn't purchase a product you won't be happy with. I have a feeling that for those who do, they'll probably love it.
Seriously, if it upsets anyone to the point that they feel lied to, tricked, or cheated in some way, please, don't spend your hard earned cash.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:34 am 
User avatar
Loose, Missing Package
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10220
Location: Cox's Creek, KY
Why? wrote:
... while raising the price even more ...


And where have they raised the price for the original batch of pre-orders?...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:04 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3307
Location: San Diego, CA
Wildcard wrote:
jzachery wrote:
The 30th sub didn't help. It turned off a lot of subscribers.


Wasn't that why the 30th sub was a separate subscription? So if you didn't want these new characters you had no attachment to, you didn't have to get it and stick with the more mainline sub. I think what Mattel did wrong was making the quarterly bonus figures an automatic attachment to the main sub. The bonus figures were supposed to be just that -- bonus. Some people many not want a different version of He-Man or Evil Lyn. They should have allowed people to opt-in into getting the bonus figures with their subscriptions.


Yes, that's exactly what it was for, LOL. But you know collector's, a lot of us are completists. So they signed up for the 30th, but were disappointed with the characters. They were shown the likes of Draego Man to sell it, then they got stuck buying Spector and Laser Lot. Then similar concept characters were released in the main sub and as SDCC exclusive, so the collectors in turn became cherry pickers. Now Mattel is saying to sub up or there won't be any figures, and if they aren't selling enough subs the line will stop. They created their own situation. People will sub up for characters they want. Now mind you, I'm not saying release all heavy hitters, no, but why release someone like Vykron or the FFM when you still have the likes of Extendar, Ninjor, Peekablue, Entrapta, Sagitarr, Rock People, Blade, Gwildor, etc... None of which can be defined as heavy hitter, yet all or most would be well received by fans, if not demanded. They stretched the releases a bit too much, I like the idea of putting lesser knowns in there, but they went too far.

_________________
JLU Forever! And is MOTUC EVER getting around to Ram Man?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:36 am 
User avatar
You hear that? We're using CODE names...
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 am
Posts: 52
Location: New York
Jim_Abell wrote:
Why? wrote:
... while raising the price even more ...


And where have they raised the price for the original batch of pre-orders?...


I don't recall ever saying they did. But they did raise the price of the castle to $275. And Neitlich said IF they sell it day of it will be around $300. The basic strategy behind the price increase, besides greed... was to push people to pre-order before the price hike and to prevent people from cancelling prematurely, while at the same time raising the price of an item that has clearly been cost reduced as is continuing to be further reduced. Cutting back on a product while increasing the price is immoral.

_________________
THAT, is the question.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 59  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], tuning4k


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.028s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]