Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:18 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

First of all, sincere sympathies to TredH20 for the unfortunate incident regarding his Moss-Man, Adam, and Orko. That's a horribly sad mental image. :(

Now, I would like to address an e-mail I got from Matty this evening. I get a Club Eternia e-mail this evening, a "Sneak Peek" at Hydron, who's the subscription figure for March. But the phrasing of the text accompanying the images troubled me a bit.

I hope I'm being paranoid, but it's difficult not to be a little jittery in the action figure world today.

Part of it read, and I quote: "In 2014 we'll start our wrap-up of long-awaited vintage characters..."

I really don't like that word "wrap-up". Now, okay, they're specifying "long-awaited vintage characters", and a number of Masters fans weren't happy that 2013 didn't include more such characters. And certainly there's still quite a few classic characters they could do.

But, does this imply that Mattel plans to bring the entire line to an end after 2014? Obviously, this will depend in large part as to whether Club Eternia gets enough subscribers for 2015. Given that Club Infinite Earths DIDN'T make it for 2014, I am obviously concerned.

However, Mattel is not the only producer of DC-related merchandise. In other words, DC is not their property. Masters is.

And Mattel has clearly shown a willingness to, first of all, produce entirely new figures for this line. Some of the 30th Anniversary figures from last year, such as Sir Lazer-Lot, Draego-Man, and this month's Standor are proof of that. They're also willing to produce figures of really obscure characters, such as Icer, Fang Man, and a giant purple humanoid rabbit.

I think between all that, there's plenty of character potential to keep the line going. But there's something about this phrase, "Wrap-up of long-awaited vintage characters", that has me troubled -- as if they're PLANNING for the line to come to an end.

I posted this to He-Man.Org, and the most informed opinion seemed to be that Mattel did rework the character line-up to bring more vintage characters into 2014, but that they are hopeful the line will continue at least through 2015. Of course, this is all dependent on getting the needed number of subscriptions, and in theory, if they continue to get a sufficient number, there's no reason the line couldn't continue into 2016 and beyond.

I'm hoping that's accurate information, because I could really use a few rays of hope in what I perceive to be an increasingly dismal action figure world (I mean, the only new stuff I've seen in stores like Walmart and Target lately has been WWE, which I DO like, but that's IT!?).

Thoughts...?

I urgently need work: Experienced writer/photographer/typist/data entry, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:50 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

TrekkerGI wrote:
But there's something about this phrase, "Wrap-up of long-awaited vintage characters", that has me troubled -- as if they're PLANNING for the line to come to an end.

Yes, I do believe that they are now planning for the line to end (no line lasts forever). Not necessarily immediately but they have gone on record saying that are trying to get as many of the remaining vintage re-dos out as they can by the end of 2015. The original "roadmap" that Scott has always talked about got a big shake-up when Filmation was added but again last year after the last second worry about if the sub was going through. From the way he's been talking over the next two years any out-of-sub items will be figures. No weapon paks, no vehicles, no giant playsets, just figures to get the largest number out there with the development skus they've been given. There will still be a few non-vintage figures in there as we know that there will be a few more Filmation (Madame Razz, Huntara and Mara, for example, and General Sundar is a given to get re-use out of the Horde Trooper molds) and some from other sources (Goatman) but the focus will mainly be on vintage for 2014 and 2015.

Scott has said that a price increase is most likely coming for 2015 which may end the line if the subs don't go through. There has also been a vocal bunch that say that as soon as they get Two-Bad next year they're cancelling their credit cards to end their subscriptions. Hopefully that is a very loud and not-very-numerous bunch of complainers because that was brought up in the .org's Q&A and Scott said that if it did happen and there were too many of them Mattel wouldn't offer a 2015 sub.

The hope is that the line can get through for 2015 and get a 2016 sub enough above the minimum to get more weapon paks and, maybe, get the back end of the battle chariot and some other things done along with more comic, Filmation, 200x and concept characters then see how long the line can continue from there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:58 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Personally, I am probably out after 2014. They are giving me my two biggest wants, and I will be one more Snake man closer to completion. I just don't see enough cool characters left after next year. I am already getting quite a few I don't care about already.

But I wouldn't cancel my credit card. That is just a d i c k move.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:45 am 
3 3/4"

Yeah, I'm probably done after 2014 as well. I've never been a completist with this line and, after the handful figures I'll probably keep from 2014, I'll have every figure I care about. I could only be drawn back for a vehicle (come on Talon Fighter and Point Dread!) or another playset which I know are unlikely.

So Mattel hinting that line is winding down is not a point of consternation for me. It's been a great run and I have more than I ever thought I'd have. I'm content.

And I'll echo Shellhead's sentiments for anyone who cancels their credit cards next year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:03 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'm in for the long haul. I can't believe that a year and a half ago I had 39 figures and am now up to 107 :o

I hope the line goes through at least 2015.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:35 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

I do hope the line goes to 2015 as well. It's just one more year. Then after that, whatever comes is just icing on the cake.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:52 am 
Displays Backwards

I noticed the castle is still available on MattyCollector.com. I thought for sure it would sell out well before now. I love mine, but the availability makes me wonder whether Mattel misjudged demand or the castle was intended to stay on the site for a few months.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:58 am 
Loose, Missing Package

GregNYC wrote:
I noticed the castle is still available on MattyCollector.com. I thought for sure it would sell out well before now. I love mine, but the availability makes me wonder whether Mattel misjudged demand or the castle was intended to stay on the site for a few months.

Could be a whole lot of them leftover from DR's card renewal screw-ups. I know mine is still there. Hopefully next payday it will still be available to order.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:01 pm 

Saw it in person at the local collectible show.

It's HUGE!!!

Looks very cool, but I have no place to put it, so I'm kinda glad I passed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:39 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I finally bit the bullet and got Teela off of eBay.

That means she'll be available on Matty Collector in the next month or two. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:03 am 
Bob Vila

I only have a handful of characters left that I really want made and I'm good. Capt. Hydron, Extendor, and Rio Blast. After that I'll be happy.

I may go back to get some of the characters I missed out on the first time around like
He-Ro, Bow and some of the POP characters.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:10 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Frequency wrote:

I traded mine away years ago and never replaced it, and stopped looking at eBay when prices were over $100. Have they come down at all?

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:14 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I want to pick up a cheap Whiplash or Buzz Off to use for a Killer Croc custom. But have been toying with the idea that one of the Snake Men bodies might be better due to the scales. I only really need the top half of the figure as I'd want to fix it to a DCUC lower body as I want the articulation to match that of other DCUC figs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:51 pm 
Displays Backwards

The Superfly wrote:
Frequency wrote:

I traded mine away years ago and never replaced it, and stopped looking at eBay when prices were over $100. Have they come down at all?

She goes for $100 to $120, mint in package. A little less for a loose figure. So glad I got mine years ago!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:20 pm 

So I haven't got Two Bad yet and I'm getting a little annoyed.

So I call up Matty, ready to rip them a new one when they tell me that I'd signed up for the quarterly option.

:oops:

I totally forgot that I had done that because I was hedging against the DC sub failing. Now I just have to be patience until March.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next