Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The UNOFFICIAL Ghostbusters Thread: SDCC Stay Puft Probl
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:49 pm 
We're going streaking!

Pixel Dan review of the SDCC Stay Puft. I see issues, but I am so, so tempted! I hope we get some more reviews from people that buy him at the Con before he goes on sale at Matty.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:46 pm 
Collector Inspector

shabbyblue wrote:
What are you basing your speculation on? I haven't seen anything yet to hint at what the subscription figure this year will be. I think it's likely to be some minor variant that not everyone will require in their collection, just like with marshmellow Ray last year, but where are you getting the idea that it's going to be someone more unique like Dana, Janine, Gozer, or Vigo?

What we DO know is that one of the final two figures in the 2011 lineup WILL be a non-Ghostbuster. I'm looking forward to seeing who it is at SDCC.

Oh, hm, I dont know what led me to connect those dots. I just re-read it and i guess it doesnt make any sense to jump to that conclusion. I wonder what was going on. I must've been watching a movie when i posted that or something. I dont know. Sorry. Still, hope it's Tallahassee!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:08 pm 
Collector Inspector

TRDouble wrote:
Pixel Dan review of the SDCC Stay Puft. I see issues, but I am so, so tempted! I hope we get some more reviews from people that buy him at the Con before he goes on sale at Matty.com

Thanks for posting that up, dude. I didnt realize the NECA one isnt really that much less not big enough than the Matty one. i thought the matty one would be at least double the size. i do like the psychotic happy face version of matty's over the "scary" scowl face on the NECA one, but I see some pretty serious issues with it too. Mainly, the one thing i was planning on doing with it was having my loose gb 4 pack displayed in front of the diorama with stay puft on top of one of my toy shelves, because my three muppets prop replicas are on the other, but now i wonder if it's just going to be too difficult to keep him from looking like he followed beetlejuice to saturn after a couple months. i mean, there's no smoking in my house, and every place i live, my toys and comics go in the darkest room in the place, but that just looks like it was MADE to yellow. would canned air do the trick? i wonder if you could use a waterproof sealant on the foam and then wipe it down with a wet cloth every couple weeks or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:45 am 
Displays Backwards

There seems to be a limited number of Stay Puft figures. I missed getting one yesterday. A Mattel rep told me only 100 are available each day, and they go quickly.

When I stopped by the fulfillment room later, a rep said they were worried about running out of Stay Puft figures, which seemed odd to me because they were all presales.

When they go up on the Matty site, get one fast. If the production number is indeed low, they are gonna sell out quickly and will be so expensive on the secondary market.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:36 pm 
We're going streaking!

Crazy! I still haven't decided if I want one yet either!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:45 pm 
Collector Inspector

I know I dont. I dont want anything from 2. Vigo was a weak ass villain. What i AM excited about is the news of getting Dana as Zuul and labcoat Peter. Here's hoping flannel shirt Winston is made to round out the "plain clothes" versions of the 4 guys from the first movie. Also, Dana, Janine, Gozer, Louis and the Terror Dogs. all those come out, and i'm happy.

Also: ACCESSORY PACKS! YES!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:00 am 
We're going streaking!

Sooooooo. Anyone get a Stay Puft and want to give us your thoughts on him? Before they go on sale on Monday?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:22 am 
An Insider

TRDouble wrote:
Sooooooo. Anyone get a Stay Puft and want to give us your thoughts on him? Before they go on sale on Monday?

A buddy of mine picked one up for me at the con and it will be here tomorrow. I will let you guys know what I think once I get it in. I don't know how Matty is going to handle shipping on this but it was a beast for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:31 am 
We're going streaking!

Oklahoma's Man of Steel wrote:
A buddy of mine picked one up for me at the con and it will be here tomorrow. I will let you guys know what I think once I get it in. I don't know how Matty is going to handle shipping on this but it was a beast for me.

GREAT! I look forward to your review!

Post subject: Re: The UNOFFICIAL Ghostbusters Thread: Anyone Get Mr Stay P
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:45 am 
An Insider

Alright guys, just got my Stay Puft in and overall I'm very happy. As a collector of the GB line I can't imagine my collection without this. I started out with the bank and then moved on to the Neca version but the sheer size of this version is the main draw for me. This thing is as bigger than my son (who was born last week at 10lbs 5.5 ounces)! He looks a whole lot better in person than in the pics and videos. SP seems to stand well on his own. The limbs do come out with very little effort but I don't think they would fall out very easily. The foam material seems to be the same type used on the old Capitol Critters toys from the 90's, maybe a little firmer. I have those and they seem to have held up pretty well. The blue paint on the backside does seem to be a bit more splotchy than the front but not as bad as Pixel Dan's. The two problems I have with mine are that there is a indention/crease that is very noticeable on his belly due to the packaging I think and a little blue paint on the side of his head, very faint but noticeable. The diorama is very cool but you will need a lot of room to display it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:14 pm 
We're going streaking!

Thanks, Oklahoma's Man of Steel!

The jury is still out for me. On one hand, I want it and I feel like if I skip it, I will regret it as much as I regret skipping the Muppets Backstage Playset.

On the other hand, when & where am I going to display it? Probably just around Halloween at work. Where am I going to store it from December to September? And $70 still doesn't feel like the best of deals for him.

I have the weekend to figure it out (along with whether I really want Swamp Thing). Decisions, decisions...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:57 am 
An Insider

I can definitely see where people would have concerns on where to put it. It is massive. If you plan on putting up the entire diorama you better have a spot that is about 23 inches high and 40 inches wide. That is a big spot in any toy room. I actually have mine on a shelf that is mounted above the closet door and with the shelf pretty much sitting on the top of the door frame there was barely enough room to get the display on there. I will try to upload a pic late for size comparison. I do think that if you were to get one on Monday and decided you didn't want it later you would be able to get rid of it pretty easily.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:18 am 
Displays Backwards

I tried several times to get one at SDCC for a friend, but they went too fast. People were lining up very early for them.

The price on eBay appears to be steadily climbing. They go for about $140-$150 now, twice the original price.

It looks like if you did buy one, you could easily resell it if you changed your mind later.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:09 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

I can tell you that I pike one up at the show, and have fallen in love with Mr. Puft! He is huge, and the blue airbrushing on mine is faint & even. A leg popped out upon removing him from the package, but it popped back in easily, an feels very firm now. The foam seems like it'll hold up, and it's a just a fun time that he's squishy. I do not regret getting him at all, and yes, he's huge. After having one in my hands, I would regret it if I hadn't gotten one!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:44 pm 
Cold-cast

Anyone think they held the major bulk of these back for Matty? Due to the sheer size they just may not have logistically been able to transport that many of them to SDCC and have a place to store them there. They may also have felt people wouldn't want to lug them around at SDCC or would have no way of transporting them back home if they traveled from out-of-state. I find it hard to believe they would limit such a lynchpin of the Ghostbusters line to a low number, especially since this is their second most major line they push on Matty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next