Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: DCUC - Beginning of the End?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:42 pm 
We're going streaking!

superfriend wrote:
TRDouble wrote:
I know my 12 yo daughter loves "Justice League Unlimited", taking to watching my DVD collection on her own and she watches "Young Justice" with me (even if she isn't quite feeling it yet; sentiment echoed here on this board). I don't think it will ever be where it was (I was just lamenting to her that when I was her age, I loved comic books, but I don't know if I would let her read half of what *I* buy these days!)

Let her read your older stuff!

I do, especially some of the old digest I have. She enjoys that stuff!

And some of the old stories were very good and very realistic, like some of the old Denny O'Neill Batman and Green Arrow stories, which I read when I was younger. But to again quote superfriend:
superfriend wrote:
As for "mature", that term gets too often used as an excuse for excessive bodily dismemberment. I never buy a comic (or turn on a TV show) wanting to see more of that.

And things do get updated for the times, whether it be culture, talk, costumes, etc. Some of the corniness of the past, like Silver Age Teen Titans calling Wondergirl 'Wonder-chick' eventually go away with the changing times. I don't think making comics kid-friendly means dumbing them down anymore than making them mature should mean making them PG-13 or up. Kids and adults enjoyed JLU; why can't there be more comics of a similar vein? I want to see more kids like that 5-6 year old buying DCUC JSA figures and explaining who they are to their parents :lol: I think "Batman: Brave & The Bold" has done a good job of that, introducing the DC Universe to a younger demographic.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:10 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

superfriend wrote:
As for "mature", that term gets too often used as an excuse for excessive bodily dismemberment. I never buy a comic (or turn on a TV show) wanting to see more of that.

You and me both. They don't have to change the story one bit or dumb anything down. I don't need to actually see Black Adam rip someone into two. It can be implied and described in other ways.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:18 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

To each their own, I guess. :wink:

As a big fan of zombie films, a little dismemberment here and there is no big deal to me.

BTAB is fine, but my favorites are the more mature episodes like when he tracked down his parents' murderer.

JLU worked because it took a more mature view of the universe. I can only imagine the awesomeness of the stories if they had been allowed the TV-PG rating Clone Wars enjoys.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:28 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Shellhead wrote:
To each their own, I guess. :wink:

As a big fan of zombie films, a little dismemberment here and there is no big deal to me.

BTAB is fine, but my favorites are the more mature episodes like when he tracked down his parents' murderer.

JLU worked because it took a more mature view of the universe. I can only imagine the awesomeness of the stories if they had been allowed the TV-PG rating Clone Wars enjoys.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the relatively mature content I have any issue with. JLU, for instance, was able to present some mature and complicated topics. That makes for great story telling. I can personally do without the gore, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:11 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

DCU reboot in September?

This really is the Beginning of the End, at least for the line as we know it. How soon before we start seeing the All-New, All-Different Big 7 and related? I have a feeling that we are not going to see many completed teams, at least in 'classic' format. :?

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:35 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Really? Seems like there is a lot of doomsday overreacting going on. I hope I'm not proven wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:45 am 
Aspires to be #1

xrmc20 wrote:
Really? Seems like there is a lot of doomsday overreacting going on. I hope I'm not proven wrong.

I agree. Besides, it would take Mattel like 3 years to churn out one the new guys if we're to believe anything they've ever said about comic appearance to shelf appearance time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:58 am 

The Superfly wrote:
How soon before we start seeing the All-New, All-Different Big 7 and related? I have a feeling that we are not going to see many completed teams, at least in 'classic' format. :?

AskMatty 7/1 wrote:
How does the DC Relaunch after the future of the DC Classics line? Given the lead time and Mattel’s relationship with DC, how long is it likely to be before we start seeing Relaunch looks appear?

It has given us the opportunity to work some of the new looks into the line and refresh key characters. We are actually reworking some of our 2012 line up to take advantage of this! Stay tuned for more at SDCC!

toldja it's the Beginning of the End, folks... :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:02 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Which ashame, this relaunch/ reboot/ redesign is just really terrible in my own opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:08 pm 

The Superfly wrote:
Nothing like an ominous title to get you interested... :wink:

Anyone else feel like this next year is the beginning of the end for the DCUC line? Maybe it's just me, but it feels eerily similar to Marvel Legends 2005/2006, when the line was going really strong and the future of the line seemed unlimited. Yes, the circumstances are obviously different, but at the time no one ever expected the line was (basically) be done and over within 12-14 months. I'm getting that same feeling now with DC Universe Classics in 2011. Why?

*wave 14, Walmart exclusive: I am seeing TONS of these just sitting and not selling. Could low sales of this wave cause Walmart to order much less of the next exclusive wave, or worse, stop supporting the line entirely?

*wave 17, Blackest Night theme: already many fans of "classic" characters are grumbling about this themed wave, which may lead to lower orders from retailers and/or tons of peg-warmers. A potential for poor sales here.

*wave 18, rumored to be Super Powers/Super Friends theme: another controversial, themed wave, right on the heels of the previous controversial, themed wave. Potentially two poor-selling waves and a rough financial start to 2011 for Mattel.

*Expensive (albeit amazing) box set of the Legion: if this does poorly, which the odds are strong, then not only will it end the potential for any other Matty box sets, but it may also suggest to internal Mattel/DC execs that Legion characters won't sell.

*poor/inconsistent distribution and product selection: old news, but a real issue. Some stores don't carry the line at all, and in others I still see old cases of Shazam, Dr Impossible, Mister Miracle, etc. And they aren't selling.

*price increase: we've seen these figures go from $8.99 all the way to $14.99 (and more!) in only three years; how much will these be by the end of 2011? How many fans are already cherry-picking or even totally getting out of collecting this line due to the price? It will only get worse.

*the rumored mandate from WB and DC to have more figures in their current, modern looks: it may mean the classic, obscure, fun characters like Killer Moth, Vigilante, and Kamandi will be shelved in favor of the New Hot Thing (*coughBlackestNightcough*). While I want many of the current DCU characters, I'd much rather have complete teams and consistent classic versions of the Metal Men, JSA, Doom Patrol, Freedom Fighters, Legion, etc.

Any one of these issues, even a few of them, would be normal and expected. But when you add up all of these factors, there is the potential for 2011 to be a bit of a letdown for collectors and fans. Which may lead to slower sales. Which may lead to the line be scrutinized, reevaluated, revamped, reworked, and ultimately broken. I know the 4H are already working on DCUC 2012 and 2013 at this point, but we all know how plans can change.

Am I nuts? Paranoid? Maybe. I just see some troubling signs with my favorite toyline, and I worry for what the future might hold. I will be pretty damn unhappy if we never see the rest of the classic Flash Rogues, Freedom Fighters, Swamp Thing, Golden Age JSA, Perez Zatanna, etc. while I'm staring at the Sinestro Corps Batman and Star Sapphire Wonder Woman.

Alright - so tell me I'm nuts and totally way off-base and why. :P

I just went and re-read this from just over a year ago...many of my points were not quite correct, but funny(?) how this has all unfolded over the past 12 months...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:45 pm 
MINT!

The Superfly: It's funny that you would bump this post.

Today BBTS received DCUC wave 20. I have purchased my last complete wave of DCUC. The line really is over at retail. Yes I know about the sub and the DC All Stars continuing at retail but this is it for DCUC as we've known it. I've gained a greater appreciation for the DC Universe because of this line. I'll miss it.

Maybe the new Marvel Legends will take it's place. But not if the price continues to out pace my wallet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:18 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

I'd say the only thing you were really off with Superfly is that you thought the Legion pack was going to be a dud. I have to say right up until it sold out super fast that it looked like you were going to be right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:11 pm 

yeah, well...I wish that I had been wrong. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:49 pm 
5th Horseman

I'd say perceptively accurate. And in hindsight, pretty freaking obvious. Why is it that we here on the ground can see the way this is going to play out, but those pulling the strings have no clue? I'd love to see predictions like this for Young Justice too. I have a feeling that line is dead before it really even gets started.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:45 pm 
Aspires to be #1

AnimateTed wrote:
I'd say perceptively accurate. And in hindsight, pretty freaking obvious. Why is it that we here on the ground can see the way this is going to play out, but those pulling the strings have no clue? I'd love to see predictions like this for Young Justice too. I have a feeling that line is dead before it really even gets started.

About 1,000 JLU fans predicted that one haha.

Seriously though, if Mattel still hasn't learned how to do a good case pack out and doesn't get the prices down asap then Young Justice will struggle to last longer than the show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next