Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: DCUC - Beginning of the End?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:57 pm 
Variant Head

The Question wrote:
As many have already mentioned, the price is the real problem here... well, price and the fact that the brand manager(s) can't seem to keep up with fan / retail demand for SOME waves, and then flood the market with other waves.

No one seems to want to say it, but Scott Neitlich is probably one of the worst brand managers when it comes to retail relations. EVERY line he has managed has either died at retail (The Batman; DCIH; sort of Movie Masters), is dying a slow death at retail (JLU; Batman B&TB), or is still hanging on becaue you can't kill DC properties completely even if you have no idea how to manage distribution (DCUC). He is also notorious for choosing characters based on HIS preference alone. A 12 pack of LOSH with only ONE female???!! WHAT?! ONE female Green Lantern figure (Star Sapphire)? Oh, wait, there is that WW repaint/redo... sorry LOL. The Super Powers thing is cute, but seriously, the demand for Silver Age characters, and the completion of certain teams is greater than that for Super Powers.

Retail stores laugh at Mattel. They know they can't keep up with the likes of Hasbro or Playmates when it comes to distribution of boys' toys (not Hot Wheels).

The price gouging is also killing all the Mattel products. Hey, here's an idea, why don't you stop spending money on changing the packaging for DCUC every other wave, and maybe we won't have to spend $20 / figure (don't lie, that IS where you're heading with price).

The prices are ridiculous. NO RETAILER is going to keep raising prices on ONLY Mattel toys (I don't recall Transformers being anymore expensive than they were a year ago), especially if the items aren't being sold to moms/kids. Mattel needs to stop blaming the retailer.

I think it's just that Mattel is a mess internally. They had a recent leadership change, and then announced price hikes across the board. Not a good sign.

Wow some very good points, like how most of Scott's lines are dying slow retail deaths. I mean how can Batb be dying its sooooo bone dry for Batman on the shelves its insane. The thing with him picking his favorites is true I mean I like some of his choices but they are totally over looking the silver age with this line in favor of his choices. The packaging that is a big thing 11 waves of the same and then bame new packaging for only 4 waves and now more new packaging. I see it on all Mattel stuff BATB changed packages sooooo many times in a short time span.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:04 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

The Question wrote:
Retail stores laugh at Mattel. They know they can't keep up with the likes of Hasbro or Playmates when it comes to distribution of boys' toys (not Hot Wheels).

The price gouging is also killing all the Mattel products. Hey, here's an idea, why don't you stop spending money on changing the packaging for DCUC every other wave, and maybe we won't have to spend $20 / figure (don't lie, that IS where you're heading with price).

The prices are ridiculous. NO RETAILER is going to keep raising prices on ONLY Mattel toys (I don't recall Transformers being anymore expensive than they were a year ago), especially if the items aren't being sold to moms/kids. Mattel needs to stop blaming the retailer.

I think it's just that Mattel is a mess internally. They had a recent leadership change, and then announced price hikes across the board. Not a good sign.

I understand your rant, but don't forget, Mattel is the No. 1 toymaker in the world. The executives there must be doing something right.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:08 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

True, but let's take BARBIE out of the equation and see where it stands. :mrgreen:

I would bet Hasbro is the number one toymaker for BOYS toys, though.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:09 pm 
Former King of Posts

Actually, back in the 90's, who was #1 went back and forth a number of times due to acquisitions of other companies and their distribution lines.

Hasbro (who already had Milton Bradley and PlaySkool) bought Tonka, giving them Kenner and Parker Brothers. They also eventually bought Larami and Galoob.

Mattel (which included Hotwheels) bought Fisher-Price, Matchbox, and Tyco. It was actually Fisher-Price's distribution channels that put them over the top as I recall.

There may have been more, those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:39 am 
Joint Unfreezer

I give DCUC two more years, tops.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:32 am 
Aspires to be #1

billydj wrote:
I give DCUC two more years, tops.

I'll take that bet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:57 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Two years is a lot of figures. 4 maybe 5 waves per year, so that's 30 not including variants. A Walmart exclusive 5-pack plus a couple 2-packs, so that's 9 more. An inevitable subline (probably Batman) with 2 waves, so another 12. 30 + 9 + 12 = 51 x 2 years = 102 figures roughly.

That's not too bad. Although the huge DCUC fan in me would love to see the line continue indefinitely.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:09 am 

With the way the action figure section keeps shrinking, I do believe non-movie/TV property lines are probably on their way out. But I think it'll be more along the lines of 5-10 years. When comic books die out, a lot of their tie-in merchandise will, too.

As the guy who works at my LCS put it, "Do you really think any future generation is gonna care about this stuff the way we do?"

I can count on one hand the number of kids I teach each year that actively read comic books anymore. And when I'm in the toy aisles, mostly the kids are going for Ben 10 and whatever Asian collectible toyline is popular (Bakugon, Pokemon, etc.).

But when I swing by the electronics section on my way to get some groceries, there always seems to be a couple kids mesmerized by the demo video games they have set up. :?

We're pretty far from the glory days of the 80's fellas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:53 am 
Aspires to be #1

It's funny you say that about the toy aisles. I was just thinking how pathetic DC was looking when I was in Walmart today. Marvel has an entire aisle and then right at the end there are 4 rows of pegs. 2 of them go to DC products (including the shelves below) and the other two are Halo/Playmaker stuff. Adding to that is the fact that only two PowerGirls and a Manhunter hang there and it's extremely easy to miss DC toys altogether.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:22 am 
declined to be a vampire

Shellhead wrote:
With the way the action figure section keeps shrinking, I do believe non-movie/TV property lines are probably on their way out. But I think it'll be more along the lines of 5-10 years. When comic books die out, a lot of their tie-in merchandise will, too.

As the guy who works at my LCS put it, "Do you really think any future generation is gonna care about this stuff the way we do?"

I can count on one hand the number of kids I teach each year that actively read comic books anymore. And when I'm in the toy aisles, mostly the kids are going for Ben 10 and whatever Asian collectible toyline is popular (Bakugon, Pokemon, etc.).

But when I swing by the electronics section on my way to get some groceries, there always seems to be a couple kids mesmerized by the demo video games they have set up. :?

We're pretty far from the glory days of the 80's fellas.

One good reason: Cost.

I'm 29 years old. I started buying comics when Superman died. I quit about 2 years ago. Why? I wasn't paying 4 bucks a book. I'm not going to start again even though they are 3. IMO, that's a huge ripoff. Comic books aren't worth 4 bucks. I'll wait and download them from torrent sites, etc.

The main point here is: I think when superman died, books were 1.00? Soon after I think they went to 1.50. I remember that because it was 1.58 to buy a Superman comic after tax at that time in Indiana. It wasn't hard for me to scroung up 1.58...or to bum it from my grandpa. By the end of HS I think they were still 1.50 and I was buying 8 titles or so.

Change that to today...with all the other outlet for kids...and now those same 8 books are anywhere from 25-35 bucks or more? Kids won't spend it, parents won't give it. I won't give my kid 4 bucks to buy a comic book.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:25 am 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
It's funny you say that about the toy aisles. I was just thinking how pathetic DC was looking when I was in Walmart today. Marvel has an entire aisle and then right at the end there are 4 rows of pegs. 2 of them go to DC products (including the shelves below) and the other two are Halo/Playmaker stuff. Adding to that is the fact that only two PowerGirls and a Manhunter hang there and it's extremely easy to miss DC toys altogether.

DC hasn't marketed or pushed their products. Infinite Heroes was a complete tank, and JLA is limited to where it's at.

Marvel decided to hit back to the smaller figures, and can label them about anything. Spiderman. X-Men. Marvel Universe. Iron Man.

They were so much smarter. Add that to the fact that the only real DC line from store to store now is DCUC...and the prices of those is getting stupid...why would a retailer have much of a section for an overpriced, somewhat unwanted toy?

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:06 pm 
We're going streaking!

Funny thing I saw in Walmart today. I went to grab a Low GLC figure to replace the one that broke the night before -- :mad: -- and a guy with a kid no older than 5 or 6 sitting in the shopping cart was in front of the DCUC stuff. So, I go around, say excuse me, and I grab the Low. As I scan the aisle, I hear the father say, "Okay now, pick one so we can go." The kid responds in his little voice, "I'll get the (DCUC Alan Scott) Green Lantern."

Father: "Okay, good. Let's go," and starts to roll away.
Kid: "Did you know that this is the first Green Lantern? yada, yada, yada..."

I just thought that whole exchange was so cool and wondered who taught this 5-6 year old about Alan Scott? It wasn't the father, who looked completely disinterested in this $14.97 action figure.

My point? I don't know if I have one. I know my 12 yo daughter loves "Justice League Unlimited", taking to watching my DVD collection on her own and she watches "Young Justice" with me (even if she isn't quite feeling it yet; sentiment echoed here on this board). I don't think it will ever be where it was (I was just lamenting to her that when I was her age, I loved comic books, but I don't know if I would let her read half of what *I* buy these days!) and I don't even see my daughter growing up and buying whatever the equivalent of DCUC would be -- toys are my younger daughter's thing, and that does *not* include super-heroes, unless it's and extra Wonder Woman I have lying around) -- but I don't think such things will ever go completely away. Heck, it may even find a way to reinvent itself like sports & trading cards have, although I don't know if the industry ever got as bad as that one did. But as long as there is interest, merchandise will follow, including toys.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:32 am 
Former King of Posts

TRDouble wrote:
I know my 12 yo daughter loves "Justice League Unlimited", taking to watching my DVD collection on her own and she watches "Young Justice" with me (even if she isn't quite feeling it yet; sentiment echoed here on this board). I don't think it will ever be where it was (I was just lamenting to her that when I was her age, I loved comic books, but I don't know if I would let her read half of what *I* buy these days!)

Let her read your older stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:47 am 

Yeah, I never understood the whole "comics were so much better in the old days" claptrap. No, they weren't. They were more simplistic maybe. More PG instead of PG-13. And they certainly were a heck of a lot cheaper! :mrgreen:

But I don't think I'd be buying them still if they were written like they were in the 80's and 90's (much less like the 60's and 70's). As I've matured my tastes have matured.

Heck, I wouldn't care if all my titles went the MAX route.

I understand that some of you want kid friendly comics. There are some All Ages Titles out there from both DC and Marvel. Just don't dumb down/sanitize my comics to be kid friendly. Comics haven't been synonimous with kids in 20 years, anyway.

They pretty much lost the kid market to the manga producers anyway. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:19 am 
Former King of Posts

Shellhead wrote:
But I don't think I'd be buying them still if they were written like they were in the 80's and 90's (much less like the 60's and 70's). As I've matured my tastes have matured.

Morrison's JLA was in the 90's and still holds up. The JLI was best in the late 80's. Cable's XForce was also cool.

As for "mature", that term gets too often used as an excuse for excessive bodily dismemberment. I never buy a comic (or turn on a TV show) wanting to see more of that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next