Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:44 am 
Knows his stuff

alcinde4 wrote:
It just makes the hunt that much more difficult, when you take a major retailer out of the picture.

I don't know about this. You can buy complete sets, and on some sites individual figures, online for about the same as you can at retail. Sure you pay shipping, but not always tax. Also, with the major retailers out of the equation, you don't have exclusive waves which are sometimes harder to find. Maybe it's just the fact that I hate the hunt and just want to get what I want without the hassle, but I don't see that as a horrible thing.

Though I will admit that without support from major retail stores the chances of the toys being produced at all is much slimmer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:38 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

impulse wrote:

Though I will admit that without support from major retail stores the chances of the toys being produced at all is much slimmer.

We can certainly agree on this point. Although you do make a valid point about shopping online. I use both channels, internet and brick & mortar. It's just more personally satisfying, to have that tactile moment where you find that figure (or figures) you wanted. You can examine the packaging and check for QC etc. Then again, via internet you don't have to worry about swapped out figures and stolen BAF pieces. :roll: That's happening more and more frequently lately, and it's extremely frustrating.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:52 am 
Hat Pooper

impulse wrote:
alcinde4 wrote:
It just makes the hunt that much more difficult, when you take a major retailer out of the picture.

I don't know about this. You can buy complete sets, and on some sites individual figures, online for about the same as you can at retail. Sure you pay shipping, but not always tax. Also, with the major retailers out of the equation, you don't have exclusive waves which are sometimes harder to find. Maybe it's just the fact that I hate the hunt and just want to get what I want without the hassle, but I don't see that as a horrible thing.

See, the thing is, I WANT the hunt, that's all I really care about. Once you have the figures, what do you do with them? I don't open them, they just sit in a box forever. The hunt is all that matters. Just ordering online isn't difficult, I could go to Matty or BBTS and order a case of every line I want and get a complete collection without even trying, but where's the fun in that?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:31 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

DCUC seems to be alive in most of the Walmarts around me, although I haven't seen any GLC space yet. However, all the Iron man stuff has disappeared from one of the Walmarts. :shock:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:07 pm 
Knows his stuff

Cephus wrote:
See, the thing is, I WANT the hunt, that's all I really care about. Once you have the figures, what do you do with them? I don't open them, they just sit in a box forever. The hunt is all that matters. Just ordering online isn't difficult, I could go to Matty or BBTS and order a case of every line I want and get a complete collection without even trying, but where's the fun in that?

I hate the hunt but it's mostly because I have children that I need to drag along with me. I can't go on toy runs without putting the 3 year old into the car and out of the car, fighting with him to get into the cart, and taking him to the TOY AISLE!!! That's just insane. I just want to buy what I want and have it. Sure it feels great to actually find something I want in a store, but I have to say...as of late, that hasn't happened often.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:09 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I'd like to say that I want Walmart selling my favorite toys but I really don't. Since I got wave 12 at Walmart 1 year ago, I've made 5 trips into the store looking for toys. 4 of them were for the GLC 5-pack and found nothing...the last was for wave 14 and I got the whole case. I guess what I should really be wishing for is that they don't get any more exclusive waves because my dcuc purchases have gone strictly online and I really enjoyed doing the same with JLU recently.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:26 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

You can laud the merits of online shopping as much as you want (and I agree, there are definite advantages), but the simple fact is if major retailers stop carrying action figures one or both of the following things is going to happen:

A) Action figures are going to skyrocket in price to the point where a lot of us are priced out.

Or

B) A lot of action figure lines are going to simply disappear.

I don't want either of those things to happen. :|

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:36 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I understand that retailers are necessary, but I'm sick of rewarding the retailers with my cash when they....

won't stock what I'm looking for

stock way too much of an item and then let it sit there for months on end

refuse to offer me reasonable customer service

keep raising prices

and now reducing the area for the toys I want in the stores that do carry them

I know that doesn't all fall on their shoulders all the time, but it's not worth my effort when I can just preorder items online and have them show up on my doorstep.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:42 am 
Hat Pooper

j1h15233 wrote:
I understand that retailers are necessary, but I'm sick of rewarding the retailers with my cash when they....

won't stock what I'm looking for

stock way too much of an item and then let it sit there for months on end

refuse to offer me reasonable customer service

keep raising prices

and now reducing the area for the toys I want in the stores that do carry them

I know that doesn't all fall on their shoulders all the time, but it's not worth my effort when I can just preorder items online and have them show up on my doorstep.

I'd settle for stores stocking at all. The last time I was in my local Walmart, probably 40% of the pegs in the toy aisle were empty and it's been that way since before Christmas. Last night, I was in Target and while they spread out their figures a little better, if you condensed all the pegs, probably 30% would be empty. TRU isn't that much better and they're in the toy business! We still haven't seen any of the new waves of figures from either Mattel or Hasbro.

What's a collector to do?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:43 am 
declined to be a vampire

Cephus wrote:

You only buy them for the hunt? LOL...that's effed up dude :)

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:36 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yeah, if you are only in it for "the hunt" why do you even buy them? Why not just snap a quick celphone pic as proof you found it and then move on keeping your money for something else you actually want.

Or, buy them up to sate "the hunt" need and then just start offering them up here or on eBay so you don't have to deal with everything just "sitting in boxes"?

It seems to me, there are better options for your time and money, but then again, it is your time and money so if it works for you ... :?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:13 am 
Hat Pooper

i was in the Clearwater, FL area for the past week and hit 3 Wal-Marts that looked like their toy section was reduced to 3 aisles with no DC toys at any of the stores.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:56 pm 
Knows his stuff

I don't collect DCUC (thank GOD since I spend WAY too much on JLU & Retro Heroes!). I do however always look @ them & read their Bios everytime I enter the Walmart Toy aisle. I do look for the rarer figures just to let friends know about them, like the impossible to find Zatanna in my City. Well 1st I looked for clearance DCIH & only found 1 Thanagarian Warrior to add to my army building for the already dead line. Then when I went back there were NO DCIH & the few DCUC were on clearance, but not cheap enough for me to consider buying theme for the ACCESSORIES/Weapons I love so much in the Classics line.

So I went to both the Walmarts in my area over the past week & there are now NO DCUC figures @ all in either stores. I definitely thought since Walmart was a store w/ DCUC exclusives, that they would always sell them. I was especially shocked since I had just seen a brand new case of the DCUC 2pks w/: Superman/Parasite & Hawkgirl/Gentleman Ghost a few days earlier. I don't know if they sold out at regular price or what happened to them!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:01 pm 
Damage Control

My Target and Walmart hasn't had DCUC in about a year. I've seen more at Kmart than any other place. TRU barely gets anything new in and it's always the same Captain Cold from a year ago at full retail price.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:33 am 
Knows his stuff

My Wal Mart still has about 30 or so pegs full of DCUC. Doesn't look like they have been touched.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next