Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:16 pm 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
geoffdude wrote:
I didn't take what anyone said out of context. I NEVER do that.

Nope, never. God knows you didn't just do it to me a few posts above. :roll:

My post said that "these guys are definitely still carrying DCUC." Which doesn't mean that all Walmarts are carrying it, regardless of how you may have interpreted it, and I'd be inclined to say that most people understood that. It means that Walmart is still carrying it - and they are, and you can use all the generalities in the world to say that only "a very few" select Walmarts that know the secret password or whose managers only wear black underwear or whatever are carrying it, but you don't know that. Until you've called every Walmart in the country to find out, I guess we'll never really know.

Every Walmart near me in Pittsburgh is still carrying the toys. Which means Walmart - as a whole - is carrying the line. Your mileage at your particular store may vary - but it might also vary in terms of what varieties of Triscuits they have on-shelf or how many different colors of yarn they have in their arts and crafts department.

Pittsburgh might not be an enormous metropolis like Los Angeles, but we're kind of a big deal, and I don't see why we can't be representative just as easily as your area.

I hear we're playing in some big game on Sunday, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:22 pm 
Fugitive Dust
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:10 pm
Posts: 226
Location: Central Valley, CA
geoffdude wrote:
I have 4 Walmarts within a 10 mile radius... 3 have 2 1/2 aisles of toys only. One half of one aisle is action figures for boys, the other half of the same half aisle is die-cast cars. That's one quarter of an aisle of boy toys available. The other side of the same aisle is Legos, remote cars, etc.. Then the other full aisle is one side girls and one side toddlers. The one lone 1/2 aisle is Pool Toys.

In the 1/4 area of boys toys there is only Star Wars, Iron Man, Wrestling, Transformers, Tron and I think Ben 10. That's it for the most part.

The one lone Walmart that does carry DC has DCUC, the 5 packs, and the Mini Heroes and Batman Brave and the bold. This is the ONLY Walmart though... and it also has two more full toy aisles than the other three stores (5 total toy aisles).

Using this as an average area... 3 out of 4 Walmarts are not carrying DC stuff. Your milage may vary, but this is in a high traffic area of So. Calif. so I would think this is a good snap shot of what's going on.

Regards,

Geoff

That's a terrible snapshot of what's going on. Walmart has over 4300 stores in the US, what you are seeing is statistically irrelevant. It doesn't matter if they are in LA, 4 stores out of 4300 is no way to measure a company like Wallyworld.

Another thing to consider is you are describing 4 stores in a 10 mile radius. Given the current economy those are incredibly close together. Have you considered Walmart is simply consolidating product to what sells best at each store in order to maximize profit in your local area? I'm sorry you are having a hard time finding product, but it's hardly representative of a company wide strategy.

_________________
DCUC Want list: Jade, Hourman (modern), Wildcat III (Yolanda Montez), Silver Scarab, Fury (Lyta Hall), Manhunter (Kate Spencer),


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:33 pm 
User avatar
Knows his stuff
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 500
brenticles wrote:
That's a terrible snapshot of what's going on. Walmart has over 4300 stores in the US, what you are seeing is statistically irrelevant. It doesn't matter if they are in LA, 4 stores out of 4300 is no way to measure a company like Wallyworld.

Another thing to consider is you are describing 4 stores in a 10 mile radius. Given the current economy those are incredibly close together. Have you considered Walmart is simply consolidating product to what sells best at each store in order to maximize profit in your local area? I'm sorry you are having a hard time finding product, but it's hardly representative of a company wide strategy.


I don't know what's going on, plain and simple.

But I do know that many Walmarts in my area are going big into groceries and pharmacy. They have redone their stores to allow these two product areas large sections of the store floor space. Toys have been pushed out for the most part.

I also know many other people are seeing the same thing. How many I do not know. How many stores still carry DC stuff? I do not know.

I only know lots of people are talking about it, so it must be a rather wide spread development.

BTW - I have no pony in this race, as I very rarely shop at Walmart. I get most of my DC stuff from Target and AMAZON. But the facts are the facts, and Walmart as a whole, seems to be changing their business views on stocking toys. (Just look to what they do now compared to 5 years ago or more).

Regards,

Geoff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:18 pm 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12535
Location: College Station, TX
Maybe that's because Ca is bankrupt and people aren't buying toys.

And for someone who NEVER takes things out of context you're doing it a lot in this thread. In no way am I acting bent out of shape about this. All I said, like Mo, is that Walmart is not dropping the line.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:35 pm 
User avatar
Knows his stuff
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 500
j1h15233 wrote:
Maybe that's because Ca is bankrupt and people aren't buying toys.

And for someone who NEVER takes things out of context you're doing it a lot in this thread. In no way am I acting bent out of shape about this. All I said, like Mo, is that Walmart is not dropping the line.


I don't think it's a CA thing only.

With respect to "context" that would probably best be discussed after you know what the word means, or can provide an example of where I've done what you accuse me of. My comments were to the point, and did not incorrectly "reference" anything you, or others, have said.

Biggest issue probably is you and "Mo" are generating arguments, or belaboring a point, out of something that was never part of the OP's initial point, thread title or what most others in this thread have been talking about. This thread was/is/has been about DCUC not being in various Walmarts since the Xmas reset, not that Walmart has dropped the line completely.

Thanks for playing though.

Regards,

Geoff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:49 pm 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
geoffdude wrote:
Biggest issue probably is you and "Mo" are generating arguments, or belaboring a point, out of something that was never part of the OP's initial point, thread title or what most others in this thread have been talking about. This thread was/is/has been about DCUC not being in various Walmarts since the Xmas reset, not that Walmart has dropped the line completely.

Probably because every time that a few locations of any retailer decides to stop carrying any line, a solid chunk of the collectors go into a panic mode that the end is near and the sky is falling. In case there were guys on this forum sweating and getting out the rosaries, I wanted to make it clear that they didn't have to worry (yet), in spite of your hyperbolic statement about the rarity of finding a Walmart that carries DCUC in the near future.

But thanks for making it seem like it's Joel and myself that are the problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:02 pm 
User avatar
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 am
Posts: 8275
Location: Phoenix Metropolitan Area
Nerd fights are SOOOOOO interesting to read. :roll:

Anyway, I hit a few Walmarts in my area today in the vain hope of finding a Kyle Green Lantern. Two of them had no DCUC, one of them had a couple two-packs only.

So Arizona is seeing some of this Walmart pull back from DCUC. I hope it's temporary.

_________________
Leave it up to a billionaire to buy the world some time --- Tony Stark

Trade Rating +55 and counting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:18 pm 
User avatar
Knows his stuff
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 500
Shellhead wrote:
Nerd fights are SOOOOOO interesting to read. :roll:

Anyway, I hit a few Walmarts in my area today in the vain hope of finding a Kyle Green Lantern. Two of them had no DCUC, one of them had a couple two-packs only.

So Arizona is seeing some of this Walmart pull back from DCUC. I hope it's temporary.


Hey, them are fighting words!


I would assume the pull back is the new norm (for various Walmarts). Movie toys will get shelf space though.. so many of the GL lines will probably show up.

Regards,

Geoff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:24 pm 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12535
Location: College Station, TX
Well I can see I'm wasting my time with Geoff. And hey, Walmart is not dropping the line....which infers that the toy section overhaul is not happening everywhere to stay on topic.

Regards,

Joel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:29 pm 
User avatar
Knows his stuff
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 500
MoMoney wrote:
[
Probably because every time that a few locations of any retailer decides to stop carrying any line, a solid chunk of the collectors go into a panic mode that the end is near and the sky is falling. In case there were guys on this forum sweating and getting out the rosaries, I wanted to make it clear that they didn't have to worry (yet), in spite of your hyperbolic statement about the rarity of finding a Walmart that carries DCUC in the near future.

But thanks for making it seem like it's Joel and myself that are the problem.


I didn't see anyone "panicking" about the line ending. And your "contention" was exactly what I was pointing out.. so my response was not out of context (for those playing along).

Never said, or cared, about anyone being a "problem". You made an incorrect assumption about what people in this thread were "concerned" about, I commented on it, you didn't like my reply, so you started these little personal jabs. (I don't think I came at you, looking at the history.)

Whatever, I'm just calling it like I see it, as I throw back some coke/vodka... no harm no fowl on my end. You two though.. seem to have blood-pressure issues. :wink:

Regards,

Geoff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:33 pm 
User avatar
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3456
MoMoney wrote:
But thanks for making it seem like it's Joel and myself that are the problem.

Don't worry, it doesn't read that way at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:36 pm 
User avatar
Knows his stuff
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 500
j1h15233 wrote:
Well I can see I'm wasting my time with Geoff. And hey, Walmart is not dropping the line....which infers that the toy section overhaul is not happening everywhere to stay on topic.

Regards,

Joel


I didn't start this topic BTW.. I'm only supporting, like others, the observation.

And I would assume no one here "wants" the line to end, but the emperor has no clothes.

Regards,

Geoff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:36 pm 
User avatar
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:41 am
Posts: 6096
Location: Atlanta, GA
I've had this discussion on another forum. Surprisingly enough, that thread was sans nerd fight. It's not just DCUC that's feeling the pinch. Several other toy lines are being contracted. G.I. Joe, Marvel Universe and others are disappearing from Walmart pegs. But these events vary widely, even within the same city. I have one Walmart within relatively close proximity with no DCUC, MU or G.I. Joe, and another with more wave 14 than they can fit on the pegs or the lower shelves. There's really no rhyme or reason to it.

_________________
Hasbro is the way to go.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:45 pm 
User avatar
Knows his stuff
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 500
alcinde4 wrote:
I've had this discussion on another forum. Surprisingly enough, that thread was sans nerd fight. It's not just DCUC that's feeling the pinch. Several other toy lines are being contracted. G.I. Joe, Marvel Universe and others are disappearing from Walmart pegs. But these events vary widely, even within the same city. I have one Walmart within relatively close proximity with no DCUC, MU or G.I. Joe, and another with more wave 14 than they can fit on the pegs or the lower shelves. There's really no rhyme or reason to it.


I agree. My earlier post listed what I saw, MU and GI Joe were gone as well in the stores I visited.

I'm sure there is some formula Walmart uses for which stores get the toy reduction/shaft. And you're right, it is select Walmarts only (like the 3 in 4 I noted earlier).

I would "assume" the reason is store size, demographics and profits. How all those criteria come into play using Walmarts factoring I can't guess.

Regards,

Geoff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Walmart Toy Section Overhaul - NO DCUC!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:39 am 
Hat Pooper
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 582
I live in Southern Maryland, in between Waldorf adn LaPlata. The Waldorf Wal-Mart isn't carrying DCUC anymore but the LaPlata one is. I picked up the Ultra-Humanite wave in LaPlata last week. Wal-mart is really a terrible store for toys around here are usually more expensive than Target and TRU. I acutaully quit going to the one In Waldorf altogether. It is just a terrible store for toys.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.045s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]