Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Attention Customizers And JLU Fans
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:21 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I'll say this again. I'd appreciate if certain members would watch their wording more carefully. Or perhaps tell the full story. From my understanding, the $60 is NOT for a normal painted custom. It's for a cast figure like Clayface or Amazo. A WHOLE LOT MORE goes into something like that, in both cost and effort. I'd certainly charge a minimum for someone like Javelin vs someone like Luthoriac.

Again, several of the customizers I know charge anywhere from $25-$40 for a basic custom. I'm one of them. Please feel free to contact any us directly, rather than taking the word of one person.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:40 am 
AFA Graded

By all means people, don't go by the hearsay of just one person, even if it is me.
Shop around and ask plenty of questions. It's the only way to know for sure. 8)

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:47 am 
shirtless hugger

Quick question, I just ordered some of those cool looking casts from Stew (nothing painted). About how long does it take to get them made and shipped out? I'm not in a rush or anything, just looking for a genuine timeline. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:53 am 
Aspires to be #1

bat313 wrote:
Quick question, I just ordered some of those cool looking casts from Stew (nothing painted). About how long does it take to get them made and shipped out? I'm not in a rush or anything, just looking for a genuine timeline. Thanks!

Well when I've ordered from Stew, it hasn't taken more than a few days to get anything. He's really great about staying on top of orders and shipping. If he has to cast some new heads it might add a few extra days but either way it won't be a long wait for you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:32 am 
AFA Graded

I do have to give credit to Batstew. He has made some fantastic casts and sculpts available to the general public.

I might have go against my stingy nature to pry open my purse strings and just go for a few head sculpts myself. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:44 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

My two cents - customizing is an extremely subjective topic, and arguing about prices is pointless. Everyone charges and pays what they deem appropriate, and that mileage will certainly vary. I don't want to see anyone bashing prices or skills on here.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:53 pm 
Collector Inspector

The Superfly wrote:
My two cents - customizing is an extremely subjective topic, and arguing about prices is pointless. Everyone charges and pays what they deem appropriate, and that mileage will certainly vary. I don't want to see anyone bashing prices or skills on here.

Besides the topic has run completely of the rails.
The point of this thread was to get some ideas brewing for some of the customizers that do casting so that we might get more figures out of this line even if it wasn't by Mattel. Now my question to Stew is this: Are you able to make your casts different colors? Say like your Amazo custom. Wouldn't it be easier to cast it in Yellow and then just paint on the eyes?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:54 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

red Ricky wrote:
ed case wrote:
Oh, that is the shizzy! I've been wanting Ubu since forever, and I even have an extra Commander Steel laying around! Thanks for this!

Wait... WHAT NOW??!?!? NNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

How about I buy that Steel from you! Please!!!! ...and Vibe if you have one!

And I'll also pay for one of the head castings in case you mess one up!

ed case wrote:
...so wait, what body is this? Something from TNBA? Batman maybe? Just straight up using the CS body probably won't work, because Ras would end up being taller. Can't have that, now.

Just put Green Arrow's legs on a Captain Atom "type" buck. It will make him 5 inches tall!!! Hell, I'll even show you how to fix Mattel's Bane! But please, please, please... whatever you do, don't destroy Commander Steel! I need him!!!

So ummm...how do you fix Bane??

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:14 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Not to get off topic, but is anyone casting in DCIH scale?

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:31 pm 
Aspires to be #1

LordMudd wrote:
Not to get off topic, but is anyone casting in DCIH scale?

CCC.

Glassman does.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:11 pm 
Brand Manager

grtwhitecustoms wrote:
So ummm...how do you fix Bane??

You do the red Ricky Maneuver. It's actually very simple.

You know... It's a darn tootin' shame that the Fans really love those random scale pop-ups from Mattel. Otherwise, I'm really sure that the brilliant A+ students from Mattel University would have loved to put that Hasbro tooling to good use by making height appropriate versions of Despero, Amazo and Kilowog.

Oh, well. I hate to say it... but it's our fault.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:29 pm 
PVC

Eeep. I said this on the first page but with Scarecrow. I didn't realize someone had done it before and the process had a name. My sincere apologies for any unintentional appropriation. Can you go into detail on how to take the legs off and put them on? I never did that before. And after yanking on my Nightwing's legs, very hard, I don't think they're any looser.

Bane and Scarecrow's height are just killing me each time I look at my Batman villains display, so all the help would really be appreciated.

Have you done it with scarecrow? He doesn't look as bad as tiny Bane does, but he's already suffering from BLS, and falling over on his own weight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:48 pm 
Fugitive Dust

An-Gel Sakura wrote:
Honestly, I was being kind.
Except for grtwhitecustoms, I haven't found any customizers under $40 unless it's unpainted and maybe some assembly required.
50% of the six I talked to, wanted $60-50 for a painted normal sized figure, Batstew being one of them.
I didn't ask about large figures, so I don't know their prices.

If you know of good customizers who charge less, by all means point them out to me. 8)
I'd rather have them made for me and spend less time having to make them myself.

I know all too well, what goes in to making them and I never charged that much for mine.
Then again, I don't do many commissions. I mostly just make extras of what I've made for myself.

I will keep this short. you An-gel really should get your facts straight before you call someone out for high prices. you never inquired about a regular painted figure (repaint) before. you inquired about a casted figure fully painted. those are 2 different things with separate prices. no matter what I'm painting for jlu, I charge $25 for the painting plus whatever the price is for the base - if its casted or regular manufacture. any sculpting that is needed will require an adjustment increase depending on what's needed but its not much more than my painting. so a simple repaint of a jlu figure would run about $35. and that takes me about 3-4 hours total time to do. everyone knows what kind of paint i use and its definitely not the cheap stuff you buy for a $1 for 3. everyone knows i charge more for females just for the simple fact that i dont like making them. also keep in mind what Texgnome said about family. yes, i have one and that comes first.
so..... i do make customs for under $40. now this is just my formula that i dont mind making public. everyone has their own.

An-Gel, next time get all the facts by "actually" asking questions instead of just assuming. also, have you ever thought it was just you getting those prices? food for thought.

bat313 wrote:

i have been extremely busy lately but fear not. all orders are complete to date and are out the door for delivery. so i finally have a clear plate. not sure which order was yours but all went out at the same time. normally it only takes a day or 2 before i post but when orders are constantly coming in, sometimes things get a little slow because i try my best to go in order as i receive them.

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:

Besides the topic has run completely of the rails.
The point of this thread was to get some ideas brewing for some of the customizers that do casting so that we might get more figures out of this line even if it wasn't by Mattel. Now my question to Stew is this: Are you able to make your casts different colors? Say like your Amazo custom. Wouldn't it be easier to cast it in Yellow and then just paint on the eyes?

i would love to but sometimes casting in color may not be that great because of imperfections in the cured resin parts. so filling any air holes or dips would end up being discolored especially on larger parts when trying to fix them with resin instead of just putty like normal. now i have been thinking of doing this with accessories when i get around to making the mold for some new stuff and possibly skin tone color. i have a lot of plans in the making for this year and hope to make a few adjustments.

i have started a new board on CJ. if anyone has any questions that you would like to ask publicly, you can do so there since that is where i am 90% of my internet time.

http://customjustice.dchallofjustice.co ... board=80.0

Thanks, Stew.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:54 pm 
Aspires to be #1

The height looks pretty good there RIcky but now he has skinny leg syndrome. Why don't those gym guys ever do any squats?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:30 pm 
Brand Manager

Sorry! LOL. I didn't invent the thing; I was just being facetious.

As far as the switch goes... It only works with "big buck" figures like Captain Atom, Orion, Kilowog and Bane. The other figures don't have enough room in the crotch area to accommodate the large peg of the Nightwing leg. Scarecrow uses a very thin buck, so I don't see how it could possibly work. If I were you, I would practice on a similar figure first. No need to ruin a perfectly good Scarecrow. I would also look at Rumble Ready Riddler as a possible alternative to Nightwing. His legs are thinner, and if the peg is too big, you can always modify it by making a casting of the leg.

As far as the process goes...

1. Boil water.

2. Submerge figure for 2 to 3 minutes.

3. Pop the legs off.

4. While the figure is still hot, use an exacto knife to separate the "under seam" of the figure. (Hint: it's that line along the figure's nutsack.)

5. With a screwdriver, you create a bit of separation, and then try to "pop in" one of the new legs. Then the other.

6. If you want the figure to maintain full motion and look "all professional"; then you'll need a Dremel Kit. For some reason, Mattel put "ridges" in the inside part of the crotch. So I used one of the small sanding heads to remove them, and another sanding tool to increase the diameter of the peg hole. This allowed for the legs to move better.

Last edited by red Ricky on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next