Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Attention Customizers And JLU Fans
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:38 pm 
Brand Manager

j1h15233 wrote:
The height looks pretty good there RIcky but now he has skinny leg syndrome.

Bane's always had skinny legs. The guy is a notorious juicer!!! :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:10 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

You could also try putting some putty on the thighs and sanding them to shape.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:20 am 
AFA Graded

An-Gel Sakura wrote:
I do have to give credit to Batstew. He has made some fantastic casts and sculpts available to the general public.

I might have go against my stingy nature to pry open my purse strings and just go for a few head sculpts myself. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BatStew wrote:
Have you ever thought it was just you getting those prices? food for thought.

I had almost completely forgotten you had tried to charge me $65 in trade for the total $60 listed price of your casts.
Your right, that is definitely food for thought.
I had not taken that into consideration. :oops: Thanks for reminding me that you did try to charge me more than other people. :wink:
And just when I was about to finally breakdown and pay you cash for 5 head casts, Clayface and the Madhatter too.

The Superfly wrote:
My two cents - customizing is an extremely subjective topic, and arguing about prices is pointless. Everyone charges and pays what they deem appropriate, and that mileage will certainly vary. I don't want to see anyone bashing prices or skills on here.
Now lets follow "The Superfly" advice and end it.

I have mentioned that you do high quality work and you have made some fantastic casts and sculpts available to the general public.
Keep up the good work. I'm sorry that I lumped your casting from scratch, in with simple repaints, and for that I do apologize.
I also use expensive paints, like you, at $12 a tube and I know all too well how expensive it gets.

Like I said before, maybe I'm just not charging enough for mine then.

(insert shameless plug here)
Batstew does great work.
Check out his site and see what he has to offer. :mrgreen:

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:26 am 

j1h15233 wrote:
LordMudd wrote:
Not to get off topic, but is anyone casting in DCIH scale?

CCC.

Glassman does.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, anybody have a link for Glassman? I tried Custom Justice but could not find one, only pics.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:24 pm 
Aspires to be #1

LordMudd wrote:
Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, anybody have a link for Glassman? I tried Custom Justice but could not find one, only pics.

Google Glassman Customs. His is the first one on the list.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:48 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Glassman Link:

http://home.comcast.net/~glassman6/Cust ... omSite.htm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:05 pm 
AFA Graded

Secret Society: Javelin
Body- mirror master
Head- Captain Atom

Be sure to cut the points off the top and bottom off the belt buckle. :wink:

Secret Society: Dr.Spectrum
Body- Nemesis
Head- Weather Wizard

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:07 pm 
shirtless hugger

BatStew wrote:

bat313 wrote:
Quick question, I just ordered some of those cool looking casts from Stew (nothing painted). About how long does it take to get them made and shipped out? I'm not in a rush or anything, just looking for a genuine timeline. Thanks!

i have been extremely busy lately but fear not. all orders are complete to date and are out the door for delivery. so i finally have a clear plate. not sure which order was yours but all went out at the same time. normally it only takes a day or 2 before i post but when orders are constantly coming in, sometimes things get a little slow because i try my best to go in order as i receive them.

Awesome, I ordered a Volcana head cast plus a few other pieces and I can't wait to get it so i can try and put my own Volcana together, That figure has eluded me for far too long!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:51 pm 
PVC

red Ricky wrote:
Sorry! LOL. I didn't invent the thing; I was just being facetious.

As far as the switch goes... It only works with "big buck" figures like Captain Atom, Orion, Kilowog and Bane. The other figures don't have enough room in the crotch area to accommodate the large peg of the Nightwing leg. Scarecrow uses a very thin buck, so I don't see how it could possibly work. If I were you, I would practice on a similar figure first. No need to ruin a perfectly good Scarecrow. I would also look at Rumble Ready Riddler as a possible alternative to Nightwing. His legs are thinner, and if the peg is too big, you can always modify it by making a casting of the leg.

As far as the process goes...

1. Boil water.

2. Submerge figure for 2 to 3 minutes.

3. Pop the legs off.

4. While the figure is still hot, use an exacto knife to separate the "under seam" of the figure. (Hint: it's that line along the figure's nutsack.)

5. With a screwdriver, you create a bit of separation, and then try to "pop in" one of the new legs. Then the other.

6. If you want the figure to maintain full motion and look "all professional"; then you'll need a Dremel Kit. For some reason, Mattel put "ridges" in the inside part of the crotch. So I used one of the small sanding heads to remove them, and another sanding tool to increase the diameter of the peg hole. This allowed for the legs to move better.

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation! I didn't know about the peg/buck size and definitely need some practice before I try this though and better understand the popping in process. It definitely had me squinting at the "under seam" area of the Bane in your pictures for a good while.

Is there anything that I should look out for in the process (like boiling) that might damage the figure? Is it easy to put back the original legs once you've taken them out? I hope I can accomplish this successfully. Skinny thighs don't bother me nearly as much as the height of Bane. He can go in one of the backrows, problem solved!

Thanks for the idea about the riddler. I have him and his legs are super long and skinny. I'll definitely try this once I get a little bit more experience.

another Q - has anyone tried to make JLU vixen more show accurate? I like the character alot, but her figure's face bothers me so much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:46 pm 
Collector Inspector

whakojacko1976 wrote:

Hey can anyone tell me when I go to Glassman's site why it does not fit on my screen?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:59 am 
Brand Manager

vicodinac wrote:
Is there anything that I should look out for in the process (like boiling) that might damage the figure?

LOL, well... you don't boil the water with the figure in it! :P

In this case, you boil water and after the water is hot, you submerge the figure "chest high". The buck and the legs are of 2 different types of plastic, so one gets hot and the other rubbery. The legs are the rubbery ones, and they become easy to mold, reset and/or pop. You can pop them by hand or with a "dull" screwdriver. (That is 'cause you don't want to risk damage with a sharp one).

vicodinac wrote:
Is it easy to put back the original legs once you've taken them out?

Nope. Once you do it, you are pretty much "committed". Plus, once you separate the under seam, it stays like that. Here are some pics to help you along. As you can see by looking at the Superman leg, the diameter is pretty small. Nightwing's is pretty big. As a result, Nightwing's leg would not fit on a "normal" JLU buck. Well, not as it is. But Mattel could easily correct this by "filling in" the inside of the mold/tool the same way they did it in order to give "Hooker Black Canary" her fishnet stockings. Anyways, as you can see from my Kilowog you have two possible options...

1. Use the leg as is, in which case, the under seam will remain separated.
2. Use a sanding tool in order to match the diameter of Kilowog's peg hole to Nightwing's. If done correctly, the under seam will look "closed" even when the figure is placed in a sitting position.

vicodinac wrote:
Skinny thighs don't bother me nearly as much as the height of Bane. He can go in one of the backrows, problem solved!

I actually want Bane to have skinny legs!!! All my reference material shows him having skinny legs. He has them in the Batwoman DVD, Knight Time and Gotham Adventures. Casimir also went out of his way to give him skinny legs when he made his custom; and if you look at Cory Smith's Bane Maquette (pictured below), you'll also notice skinny legs. For me, it makes him different than KGBeast, as well as more show accurate. So I wouldn't change a thing. He is in fact, front and center in my collection.

Cory Smith's Bane Maquette

Casimir's Bane Custom

vicodinac wrote:
another Q - has anyone tried to make JLU vixen more show accurate? I like the character alot, but her figure's face bothers me so much.

You could try repainting an extra Ice head from the Fire & Ice 3-pack. Ice is cheap and she would make Vixen look like Halle Berry. If you are good at sculpting, you could probably give her a new hair do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:35 am 
Collector Inspector

red Ricky wrote:
Cory Smith's Bane Maquette

Does anyone have the dimensions to this Maquette?

Never mind I found it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:59 am 

whakojacko1976 wrote:

Thanks for the links, but they lead to the same page I had, and I cannot find on it anywhere where it says what he does commission or even how to contact him to ask.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:24 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

As far as contacting Glassman, the best ways are by PM at Custom Justice or by email at glassman6@hotmail.com.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:04 am 

texgnome1 wrote:
As far as contacting Glassman, the best ways are by PM at Custom Justice or by email at glassman6@hotmail.com.

Thanks.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next