Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Save The JLU Facebook page is live!
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:54 pm 
3 3/4"

bat313 wrote:
uberfriend wrote:
I completely agree.

I've read somewhere that around 5,000 to 7,500 units are produced for single-source exclusives, but who knows?

The point is, we as JLU fans shouldn't rest on our laurels regardless of how many supporters we wind up with on the Facebook page. Anyone hoping for even just one of the unreleased figures to eventually come out should be doing his or her share---no matter how big or small, on the Facebook page or elsewhere---of helping out with the campaign.

Wow, that number just seems too high to me! But the Save JLU campaign is moving along nicely so it should be real interesting to see how well Stripe sells.

Yeah, that does seem awfully high. I think it's more in the 1,500 - 3,000 range.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:34 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

See this is what bugs me, Mattel will never let us know the "magic number" of figures produced and how many exactly need to sell through in what amount of time to be considered a success. Ok, fair enough, company secrets and all that malarky. BUT.... we asked if they could just make a ball park statement along the lines of .... "If the online 4 packs that were released had got double the sales then we would have considered them a success and been ready to continue with them."

See by saying that, each person knows what they themselves has spent on those packs, and would know that they may have to double up to keep them going, or at least encourage a friend to buy a set also. This way everyone can do their bit, get the sales to where they need to be but Mattel still gets to keep secret what their production numbers are as there's no way all the people buying these would know who else or how many people had brought them.

But that's not gonna happen so we're fighting blind I guess.

But the fact that so many people are looking to buy seconds and also the fact people are looking at picking up an extra STRIPE to make a JLU Stel out of may help him sell through.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:36 pm 
Fugitive Dust

MisterMiracle wrote:
bat313 wrote:

Wow, that number just seems too high to me! But the Save JLU campaign is moving along nicely so it should be real interesting to see how well Stripe sells.

Yeah, that does seem awfully high. I think it's more in the 1,500 - 3,000 range.

I am hoping it is! :-)

I can't remember where I read that, but it was a general figure in terms of action figure production... not necessarily pertaining to Mattel or JLU.

If it is around 1,500 to 3,000, I'm feeling a little better about our chances.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:43 pm 
Fugitive Dust

elvis8batman wrote:
But the fact that so many people are looking to buy seconds and also the fact people are looking at picking up an extra STRIPE to make a JLU Stel out of may help him sell through.

Don't forget the folks who are buying for the first time... there are quite a few folks on Facebook who either didn't know that Matty existed or didn't know when the sales happen... and they're looking forward to the sale.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:07 pm 
Former King of Posts

uberfriend wrote:
Thanks for resurrecting this thread!:-)

Who let some one sign up for the forum as "uberfriend"? I claim copyright infringement! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:27 pm 
Fugitive Dust

superfriend wrote:
uberfriend wrote:
Thanks for resurrecting this thread!:-)

Who let some one sign up for the forum as "uberfriend"? I claim copyright infringement! :)

Hehe. Interestingly enough, I first used the nick years ago when I attempted to use 'superfriend' as an eBay login, but it was already taken. That wouldn't be you, would it?

:-)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:49 am 
serves the Otter

MisterMiracle wrote:
uberfriend wrote:
I've read somewhere that around 5,000 to 7,500 units are produced for single-source exclusives, but who knows?

I'm going to chime in.

1. The Production run on a single source exclusive is around 5,000. If you look at last year's DC Direct Arkham Asylum Batman, you'll see a sticker that reads "Limited Edition" 4000 units.

2. Matty won't give us "the" Magic number, but I assume it's around 8,000 units. The thing is... it's Matty. JLU could sell 7,950 units and they would still continue to treat us in the manner in which they are accustomed to treating us. Sometimes, it's better to just step back and let the chips fall where they may.

3. It's not on us to sell 8,000 units. And we don't have to. You see... on a bad day, and without doing any marketing, Mattel probably sells between 5,000 to 6,000 sets of JLU figures. That's their famous baseline. We can't do worst than 5,000 units because that's the number you get with Zero support. That also works in our favor. You see... by supporting the line, promoting the line and marketing the line; we are hoping to bring in 2,000 new customers. 2,000 new customers is an attainable goal specially if you factor in International Collectors (where the love for JLU is big, but support from Mattel is small to nonexistent!!!) And if you add those 2,000 new purchases to the existing 5,000 to 6,000 baseline... well, you get the boost that this line needs to get over whatever "magic hump" Mattel Execs have impossed on it.

4. Again, it bears repeating. JLU has consistent numbers. That "Doom Patrol/Parademon Number" that Scott alludes to... well, it might not be the greatest; but it's good enough for Mattel to okay the sale of the Convention 3-packs, the 7-pack, STRIPE and the Golden Age 3-pack. Remember, this line (as a Matty Exclusive) was pronounced dead before the Justice Guild 4-pack came out 3 years ago. But the thing is...sales tend to decline over time. JLU staying consistent after 3 years is probably a good thing. And like I said before, we only have to add to the existing sales. It's not on us to sell this line from square one, day one, unit 1.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:05 pm 
ABS

Thanks for that illustration red Ricky. The scenario is clearer to me now. I've always wondered, and have exhaustively polled, to get a grasp on numbers. But apparently, from what has been gathered in Facebook (561 collectors up to now, and I'm not adding the ones on the Group cause many are repeats) the vociferous fanbase, with an online presence is still strong, and bigger than I expected. Maybe this is doable. And we can get the figures revealed at Comic Con... though, as time passes by and Mattel keeps adding packs on to the site, I get the feeling it might be a ruse to get us to buy more. I don't know... that's just the conspiracy theorist in me.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:26 pm 
Fugitive Dust

thejokerslastlaugh wrote:
Thanks for that illustration red Ricky. The scenario is clearer to me now. I've always wondered, and have exhaustively polled, to get a grasp on numbers. But apparently, from what has been gathered in Facebook (561 collectors up to now, and I'm not adding the ones on the Group cause many are repeats) the vociferous fanbase, with an online presence is still strong, and bigger than I expected. Maybe this is doable. And we can get the figures revealed at Comic Con... though, as time passes by and Mattel keeps adding packs on to the site, I get the feeling it might be a ruse to get us to buy more. I don't know... that's just the conspiracy theorist in me.

I haven't updated my member list in a couple of days, but I'd say we have around 740 supporters now between the page and the group, not counting the duplicates, which actually are relatively few. The admins decided to shut down the group site to avoid confusion, so it'll be easier for everyone to track participation.

I love the conspiracy theory... however unlikely, I actually wouldn't mind it if it were true. Bring it on... we'll buy more. :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:55 am 
Fugitive Dust

To keep this thread on top of the heap, here's an update:

As of today, the Save the JLU! campaign now has 797 followers!!!

There are 294 group members and 619 page "likes", with a 119 member overlap.

The group site will be "shut down" starting Sunday to avoid confusion; the Facebook page will remain as the campaign's official site.

If you're on Facebook and haven't signed up yet, please go to facebook.com/savethejlu. If you have already signed up, please help keep the page significant by posting, commenting, and answering weekly questions. Matty's watching... by keeping the page busy with activity, we can show that not only are we "loud", but we may have the numbers to back it up!

:-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:33 am 
Fugitive Dust

Hey, folks...

Not long after the Save the JLU! "group" was created on Facebook, we realized that a Facebook "page" would better serve the campaign in the long run. The "group" has now been... deactivated... to avoid confusion from having two existing sites and run a more focused campaign.

Currently, there are 174 "group" members that have yet to make the transition onto the Save the JLU! "page". If you happen to be one of them, please go to facebook.com/savethejlu and press that cute, little "Like" button.

FYI: the Save the JLU! page now has 717 "Likes" and growing everyday (just last week, we had 619 "Likes"). If all 174 "group" members join in, we move closer to 1,000... with over a month to spare before STRIPE goes on sale on July 15!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:24 am 
shirtless hugger

uberfriend wrote:
Hey, folks...

Not long after the Save the JLU! "group" was created on Facebook, we realized that a Facebook "page" would better serve the campaign in the long run. The "group" has now been... deactivated... to avoid confusion from having two existing sites and run a more focused campaign.

Currently, there are 174 "group" members that have yet to make the transition onto the Save the JLU! "page". If you happen to be one of them, please go to facebook.com/savethejlu and press that cute, little "Like" button.

FYI: the Save the JLU! page now has 717 "Likes" and growing everyday (just last week, we had 619 "Likes"). If all 174 "group" members join in, we move closer to 1,000... with over a month to spare before STRIPE goes on sale on July 15!

Awesome job guys! I've already switched over and check it daily!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:47 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Just sent in my "like" to the page. Good luck guys and gals, hope it works out for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:17 pm 
5" Scale

Is there anything I can do to help? I could probably afford to buy a second STRIPE.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:23 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Asked and answered.

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next