Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toy Fair 2011 - Green Lantern thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:44 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I'm not sure what B-movie hell that thing crawled out of, but that is NOT Parallax.

It's almost the love child of a Ghostbusters creature and Ursula from the Little Mermaid...

I am now officially a "PASS" on the entire GL line up of toys in all scales.

Thanks for that Matty, my wallet appreciates it.

I hate to give credit where credit is due, but this may not be Mattys fault. These ARE based on the movie and we have not seen Parallax from the movie yet to compare. Nonetheless, I have no interrest in this either.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:50 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Wow that things looks like crap. This is exactly why I completely avoid movie masters.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:10 pm 
An Insider

I think the toy looks great. Lots of detail and a good quality sculpt. However, I'm not excited about that design of Parallax. Based on this and the other toy from the 4 inch scale I would say that it looks like he is merged with Hammond and thats why he has a huge head. I would much rather have the leaked design we saw previously.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:49 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I'd much rather have the classic Comic styles of all of these characters than most of what I've seen of the movie designs so far.

Yes, I agree, that these figures' interpretations/style are not Matty's fault, but the design team behind the movie.

Why it is that "movie people" have to change EVERYTHING, especially when it is already based on an extremely visual medium under the guidance of teams of skilled writers and artists is beyond me. These have already been worked out, refined, cleaned up, and made ready for presentation and translation. A big part of what you are interested in the properties for is because of what they "look and feel like" but then as soon as you get a green light, you start changing it all around until it isn't anything like the source material. It happens all the time (this little rant is only in the GL thread because this is the most recent example and the one that I have the most invested in personally).

Ugh!

For those of you that like the style of these figures, more power to you. I hope you have a very easy time finding them all and getting a great deal on them. I know I won't be getting in your way...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:52 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Of course they'll get a great deal on them. How can you beat buy one get three free?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:46 pm 
An Insider

j1h15233 wrote:
Of course they'll get a great deal on them. How can you beat buy one get three free?

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:49 pm 

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I'd much rather have the classic Comic styles of all of these characters than most of what I've seen of the movie designs so far.

Yes, I agree, that these figures' interpretations/style are not Matty's fault, but the design team behind the movie.

Why it is that "movie people" have to change EVERYTHING, especially when it is already based on an extremely visual medium under the guidance of teams of skilled writers and artists is beyond me. These have already been worked out, refined, cleaned up, and made ready for presentation and translation. A big part of what you are interested in the properties for is because of what they "look and feel like" but then as soon as you get a green light, you start changing it all around until it isn't anything like the source material. It happens all the time (this little rant is only in the GL thread because this is the most recent example and the one that I have the most invested in personally).

Ugh!

For those of you that like the style of these figures, more power to you. I hope you have a very easy time finding them all and getting a great deal on them. I know I won't be getting in your way...

To quote Dr. McCoy: "I know engineers, they love to change things."

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:25 am 
Brand Manager

bnjmnrlyr wrote:

I was going to get this version for my JLU Green Lantern Corps on account that it reminded me of the Comic Book version. But now I don't know.

Is he supposed to have wings?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:01 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

In the comics Parallax is much more "bat like" than he is in the movie form.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:17 am 
Variant Head

funtime3 wrote:
Here's a glimpse of the "Not Final Product" Parallax Movie Masters Collect and Connect figure.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/03/27/a-better-look-at-parallax-the-green-lantern-movie-toy-not-final-product/

Not to be negative, but my interest in building Parallax has decreased quite a bit.

I saw that yesterday, and IMO it look really bad, but I haven't post a link cause it doesn't look like the shadow that appears in the back of the carded figures, even the tentacles are different.

That 4 inch scale Parallax could be one of the few figures that will be released based in early designs of the movie. I really hope so.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:23 am 
Variant Head

Oklahoma's Man of Steel wrote:
I think the toy looks great. Lots of detail and a good quality sculpt. However, I'm not excited about that design of Parallax. Based on this and the other toy from the 4 inch scale I would say that it looks like he is merged with Hammond and thats why he has a huge head. I would much rather have the leaked design we saw previously.

Totally agree. I would prefer 10000000000 times that design over that of the figure. Anyway, it really must be Parallax merged with Krona in the final battle of the movie, or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:35 am 
Variant Head

bnjmnrlyr wrote:

Ugh!

I give you that I don't like theses guys changing everything, but it wouldn't lok any good in the big screen if all the alien GLs look like the same human muscular body with different rubber masks.

I really looks most of the changes, and why they could be changed in the comics (look at Stel, Salaak, Chip and even Sinestro) and not in any other media. The problem IMO is changing a good design to a bad one, wich looks to be the case of Parallax. Anyway, I'llwait until I could see the final look of the figure.

;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:39 am 
Variant Head

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I'm not sure what B-movie hell that thing crawled out of, but that is NOT Parallax.

It's almost the love child of a Ghostbusters creature and Ursula from the Little Mermaid.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 am 

Magog wrote:
I give you that I don't like theses guys changing everything, but it wouldn't lok any good in the big screen if all the alien GLs look like the same human muscular body with different rubber masks.

I really looks most of the changes, and why they could be changed in the comics (look at Stel, Salaak, Chip and even Sinestro) and not in any other media. The problem IMO is changing a good design to a bad one, wich looks to be the case of Parallax. Anyway, I'llwait until I could see the final look of the figure.

;)

Why not put the actors in motion suits like Avatar did. Old technology that still works really well. Then you just CG the alien features over the actor. That would still look like the comic.

Now the only one I have ever had a problem with is Tomar. He comes off looking very cartoonish in the book, but the look is canon so I leave it alone. That does not mean I like the movie version better. Wait and see.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:27 am 
Variant Head

Sold! :mrgreen:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... struct-set

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next