Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Movie 4" Figures Discussion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:57 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I avoided these for a long, long time until finally checking out the film and enjoying it so much that that, along with the sudden clearance slashing of prices post-Xmas, led me on a 2-day binge that filled my GL coffers for around $100 (Got 1-16 at Wal-Mart at $3.40 each, 17-20 at a Kroger for around $6 ea and all the Wal-Mart, K-Mart and TRU exclusives). I am not a dedicated collector of figures, sticking only with the Marvel Universe 3-3/4" line as well as the short-lived New Gods and anything Judge Dredd I can find. I am new here and very late to the game but wonder re: theories here re: the failure of this line?

My guesses (almost all "duh"-level obvious) are: the failure of the film at the box office/critically relative to other comic films; the glut of other movie lines filling shelves this year; the underwhelming design and execution of the figures; and - key to me - the "sameness" of the corp, leaving them looking very much alike and confusing to parents as well as the lack of villains. We have 19 good guys versus one rogue Guardian (who you can only find at Kroger stores, apparently) and, if parents spring for it, Parallax? This is where the strict film tie-in failed the toy line, in my opinion. That said, on the flipside, as a GL Corps fan from the 80s run of the book, I LOVED the possibilities of literally thousands of variations of Lanterns and, while I am sad we'll see only about a dozen, this movie line as a whole looks pretty impressive as a group.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:33 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

All true, but there is one small flaw in your case: DCIH. Granted Mattel tanked this line almost as bad, but given the number of figures done, it can hardly be considered a failure, and the scale is close enough that the half dozen or so GL villains could easily be used for this line, from a kid point of view. I could see how a Marvel only collector might miss this small detail.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:30 pm 
ABS

Any ideas what stands I would use to help my GL Corps stand up? any ebay links for a lot of them would be helpful. thanks

cory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:30 am 

Saw these on clearance at Walmart tonight: $3.40 for singles, $6.40 for 2 packs, $9.90 for the chopper. I guess we will never get the other 3 2 packs.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:37 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

LordMudd wrote:
Saw these on clearance at Walmart tonight: $3.40 for singles, $6.40 for 2 packs, $9.90 for the chopper. I guess we will never get the other 3 2 packs.

CCC.

I saw a couple posts on Fwoosh where folks claimed to snag 4-6 (one supposedly in Canada?). I have yet to see any on eBay, Amazon or any other resale sites and fear they won't really ever make it out.

On the other hand, the clearance pricing gave me an awesome collection at a great price. Coup de grace was convincing Target manager to price match their online (sold out) clearance price of $10.38 for the Salaak 4-pk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:12 am 
Loose, Missing Package

CJF28 wrote:
Any ideas what stands I would use to help my GL Corps stand up? any ebay links for a lot of them would be helpful. thanks

Haven't tried 'em yet, but I'd bet that the Infinite Heroes stands at Matty Collector will work. Seems like Mattel has settled on that peg size for all of their 3 3/4" and 4 1/2" lines. I'll check later today and post the results.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:51 am 
Cold-cast

My off-and-on-again relationship with this line has definately been *on* due to Target's 50% off sale, KMart's 50% off clearance, and Target+Wal-Mart clearances.

Over the past month I've picked up:

Leader of the Corps 4 pack. $15 for Salaak hurt, but it hurt less than the $30+ it was normally(when I COULD find it). I kept Stel as well, but his design is SO terrible he adds no value.

G'Hu $4. Since he was part of the semi-elusive 3rd wave, I didn't think waiting to possibly find him for less was prudent.

Target exclusive Supercharged Voz $3. Only saw him at *1* Target* out of the 50+ in the Twin Cities, and to my surprise he was still there 2-3 months later even at 70% off. Still an awful design AND horrible figure, but the novelty of owning such a seemingly rare(for now) GL figure was hard to pass up at the price. That said, I fully expect that wave to hit the Ross/TJX/Gordman store in the near future.

I have yet to purchase a Green Man or Hannu. I'm holding out hope we'll see the WM Guardian 2nd series either at Wallys or the off price retailers and if not there's enough Green Men at TRUs that I can wait for a xx% off clearance sale or Rewards coupon. I would have picked him up for $2 if I saw him at KMart, but I did not. :(

Hannu is just SO awful, I probably would have hesitated even for $2 at Kmart.

Is there a list of the 4" alien Corps members anywhere on-line? Here's what I think is all of the unique sculpt articulated 4" alien GLC figures made:

The 6 Wal-Mart Guardians from their 2-packs: Sayd, Ganthet, ?, ?, ?, ?
Fallen Krona
Sinestro
Abin Sur
Kilowog
Tomar Re
Green Man
Isamot Kol
Hannu
Gallius Zed
G'Hu
Voz
Stel
Salaak

Have I missed any?

*Funtime, it was the Otsego Super Target where I initially found him and eventually bought him. Have you seen the Supercharged Voz at any other metro Targets?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:26 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

My local Target still have the supercharged figs for $6 each(Im waiting for them to go lower so I can have the constructs and my 3 year old can have the figs). The regular 4in line is still full price.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:02 am 
Collector Inspector

Thanks, manthing. I think I saw charged Voz once, but it was a while and I haven't seen it lately. It certainly was at the tail-end of the distribution and it wasn't widespread. I have charged Voz but I got it off ebay.

I had an opportunity to get the Salaak pack at $15.00 and I passed it up. I guess I just wasn't in the mood. I want him, I just wish it could be $10 at the most.

I think my enthusiasm waned for these over time while my fondness for the Movie Masters increased over time. I still love my DCIH though. I like the sculpting on the 4 inch Green lanterns, but there's just something about them that reminds me that I've been sold a cheap kid's toy, whereas I look at my DCIH and I see a line that was trying at the end but was a victim of market trends, retailer dismissal, and a bad initial launch.

And the movie didn't help. Plus, there were no bad guys to buy. Although looking at the pegs of Captain America, it looks like the same scenario. I wish I waited to buy these. I rushed out to buy all of these at full price. Oh well, I'll learn next time.

3 guardians. Good enough I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm 

funtime3 wrote:

4 if you count "Krona." I don't see that as Krona because he never looked like that in the books, or the video, so it can be just a random Guardian.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:41 pm 
Collector Inspector

LordMudd wrote:
funtime3 wrote:

4 if you count "Krona." I don't see that as Krona because he never looked like that in the books, or the video, so it can be just a random Guardian.

CCC.

But they did make him look like that in the books for the recent "War Of The Green Lanterns" cross-over (probably to bank of the movie). They made him a floating midget in a robe with chains and a big head (and a small patch of black hair). They even ditched his mustache I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:23 pm 

Long after I stopped reading. He looked like the other way in Emerald Knights and that is what I have seen most recent. Of course, to quote Arisia: "He's as big as a moon!" in that one too, which I always thought would make for a great BaF.

The problem I have with FF and EK are the glaring inconsistencies. In FF Arisia is a full member I seem to recall seeing in the background, and Sinestro goes bad. In EK Hal just started mentoring her and Sinestro is still good. Then there are the background GLs. In the Avra story the guy who gets the 3rd ring after the girl dies appears in the scenes fighting Krona, and appears in the background in FF. The big hulking guards all over the place in FF are represented in the background in EK too. I guess the artists were just being lazy in creating background GLs, but we get no Katma Tui, or Eddore, or even Kreon. There are so many cool looking possibilities that were ignored there.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:45 pm 
Cold-cast

haven't had any issues with any of these in my area except Krona which i saw only once. Hope Wally GL 2pk 4-6 is available in abundance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:50 pm 
Collector Inspector

I have Emerald Knights but I haven't seen FF yet. In Emerald Knights, they do play off of stories featured in Tales Of The Corp (as far as I remember), even for the Krona part, which was kind of odd. They made some changes and new characters for dramatic purposes. The Laira story is a great improvement to the original story. Mogo Doesn't Socialize was pretty straight forward though.

I'd LOVE 4 inch action figures based on Green Lantern Emerald Knights. in fact , I'd love figures from most of those DC Original animated movies. The style of Green Lantern The Animated Series doesn't do anything for me. It's way too cutesy for my taste. It's a little too much Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger for me. We got DCIH figures for Gotham Knights, Public Enemies and a few for the Best Buy releases, but man, I wish there were more like Under The Red Rood and JL: Crisis On Two Earths.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:55 am 

Amen. Check out my custom thread, your gonna like whats next.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 49  Next