Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 34  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:43 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1302
LOL - I'm sure you're not the only one who finds my preference odd. Honestly, I never liked the JL Superman. His arms never looked good for one thing. They always seemed short to me. And he's hunching forward too, which I really disliked. I've seen some custom versions where this has been corrected, but the figure still didn't look terrific, as Superman should.

The S:TAS figure just has a softer sculpt (look - muscles instead of sharp edges!) and a wider stance and a fabric cape, which I've always loved. Plus, he stands tallest. This Superman looks like the leader of the group. The JL one just looks...dumpy. So it'll always be S:TAS Superman in my pictures!

This is, however, the first time I haven't used my Keaton Batman in the group shot. Poor guy. I hope he doesn't feel like he's been replaced :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:22 am 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
I have to admit I would favor the Superman tas version over the JL Superman. I use to own the quick change Clark Kent and that Superman was fun!

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:29 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1302
This is the Quick Change version! Go figure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:37 am 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Not trying to fight, convert, or convince... I guess I just prefer the Superman who is on-model to his show compared to the "Fisher Price" STAS figure, lol. ;) just kidding... but I did find it funny how you think the JL Superman figures arms are too short... anatomy, Disneyboy anatomy! (well I guess real anatomy doesn't matter when animation is involved, ;) )
Anyways I think his arms are pretty much perfect length...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Dusty37/45g54g56h5h5h.png
Image
...again only the first release JL Superman, (later releases aren't horrible but they are less on model) but I don't just like the figure for the accuracy to the show. I like how he is exactly like the Maquette he was based off of, (which is awesome, heck I like all of those Maquettes, they are friggin sweet.)
Anyways, even as a kid I could not stand the STAS figures because they looked nothing like the show I loved, (I still collected all except 5 or 6, but still I wished they were more STAS-ish.) So when the JL figures came out I was like "Where were these suckers 6 years ago?!" lol.
Again not trying to be a jerk or anything, sorry I think my post did come off as such, but as always good people... Van Statten and DisneyBoy... to each their own. :) I guess I am just an annoyingly annoying person, especially when it comes to people hatin on my Mattel JL Supes! ;)


D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1302
Your post did not come off as anything other than a fun plea to see how awesome your beloved JL Supes is ;)

I really, really like the Supes Maquette you posted. Always have. But something major was lost in the translation from Maquette to toy. Event though they look pretty much the same in those two pictures you put side-by-side, in person his head seems shrunken and in no way stately or heroic. And the arms and legs seem oddly small. It's something about the way the elbows were sculpted. I don't believe those are real arms on him. They just look like sausages or something :P This Superman looks like one of those really ripped guys who stands at 5 foot 5, you know? Whereas the Kenner Supes stands taller (and he's not even standing up straight!) and the sculpt is a little dynamic. You can pose him to look like he's doing something, or just let him stand there if you prefer. That's always a plus in my book. When people say they love the static poses of the JLU figures, I always look to your Supes as proof of why that isn't a good thing. I even dislike the buck that was later used for Orion and Wildcat and Mister Miracle. He's too stout.

I can't deny though that those side-by-side pics make my criticisms seem invalid :lol: But I've never like JL Supes. I agree Kenner's toy is a bit of a departure from the design of the character in the show...but come on now, he's no Fischer Price!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:01 pm 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
The Kenner version is more of an action figure... where as the JL one is more of a Maquette. If I collected statues I'd love it.

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:08 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
DisneyBoy wrote:
Your post did not come off as anything other than a fun plea to see how awesome your beloved JL Supes is ;)

I really, really like the Supes Maquette you posted. Always have. But something major was lost in the translation from Maquette to toy. Event though they look pretty much the same in those two pictures you put side-by-side, in person his head seems shrunken and in no way stately or heroic. And the arms and legs seem oddly small. It's something about the way the elbows were sculpted. I don't believe those are real arms on him. They just look like sausages or something :P This Superman looks like one of those really ripped guys who stands at 5 foot 5, you know? Whereas the Kenner Supes stands taller (and he's not even standing up straight!) and the sculpt is a little dynamic. You can pose him to look like he's doing something, or just let him stand there if you prefer. That's always a plus in my book. When people say they love the static poses of the JLU figures, I always look to your Supes as proof of why that isn't a good thing. I even dislike the buck that was later used for Orion and Wildcat and Mister Miracle. He's too stout.

I can't deny though that those side-by-side pics make my criticisms seem invalid :lol: But I've never like JL Supes. I agree Kenner's toy is a bit of a departure from the design of the character in the show...but come on now, he's no Fischer Price!

Okay maybe he isn't like Fisher Price... but more like this: Image http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Dusty37/efsf.png ;) j/k
But yeah, I guess we just have different eyes, as the two things you dislike most about the JL Superman... are the two things I like most and think make him show accurate (the head and arms.) lol :)
EDIT: though I did think that the over-seas STAS Superman's head sculpt looked more like the show, (still not perfect, but closer than all the ones we got in America.)


D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:22 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1302
How were the overseas versions better? I need a picture :) (since you're so fond of posting them).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:20 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
DisneyBoy wrote:
How were the overseas versions better? I need a picture :) (since you're so fond of posting them).

lol, Okay, the first two pics are from random websites or auctions, the third pic is a custom by AFI member Mike (yo Mike!... you rock!) ;)
Image
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Dusty37/5y34t45y45y45y4y.png


I still like the JL headsculpt the most because I like the more sleek and less chunky design, compared to the rounded and almost chubby looking design that STAS had... JL Season One Forever!!! ;)


D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:27 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
DisneyBoy wrote:
in person his head seems shrunken and in no way stately or heroic.

BTW Mattel had variations of the orginal SM headsculpt. I have about 3 different ones from the first wave and all have slight differences in the sculpt (like the eyes are more deep into the head, or closer together, or the head itself is thinner on the neck/body.) But you would have to have a lot of spare time on your hands to notice the difference... which is what I have, lol. :wink: Anyways the JL picture I posted before is the sculpt that is the most on model, it is not thin, nor are his eyes too close together (and they are actually painted correctly, lol) Oh and it took me months to find him, (all the others had bad paint apps or the heads were not quite right to me.)


D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:09 pm 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
Dusty gets a point for the head sculpt... but I still like the Animated Series body better, especially if I were a kid.

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:17 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Van Statten wrote:
Dusty gets a point for the head sculpt... but I still like the Animated Series body better, especially if I were a kid.

Nice! I get a point! (in YO face DB! ;) ) Truthfully though when I was a kid, I loved the quick change Superman figure more than anything. I was 10 or 11 when I started buying STAS figures. But as I got older and more into the show, I started to realize the figure didn't really look like he did in the show, (and even as a kid things had to be perfect, lol.) Anyways, as a figure the "Quick Change Superman" wins out of the two because he can be 2 characters, plus he does look like he has a more "playability factor" than the JL figure for sure. Though if you put the JL Superman into boiling water and re-pose him into a cooler stance or something... it is fun. I did that a while ago and it really was kind of cool.


D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1302
I would like the defendant to repeat his last statement so the jury can hear him admit how he BOILED his so-called favourite Superman figure.

I rest my case.
8)

Yeah, I wanted Quick Change Supes because Clark was in there too, but I really, really hated that they didn't give us a normal Clark instead of Camping Clark. Because I love the Kenner Supes, it wouldn't do for Mattel to whip up a Clark because he wouldn't be in the right scale. Someday, I'm going to have to invest in a good custom, like the ones I've seen around here, with the Clock King body and Kenner Clark head or something.

Interesting how the Euro Head seems angry. Did he want wider distribution?

I think I bought some S:TAS figures in a lot a few years back and never opened them. One of them might be a Euro Supes....I'll have to check.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:44 pm 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
Image

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ramdom pics of our Mattel figures
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:22 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
DisneyBoy wrote:
I would like the defendant to repeat his last statement so the jury can hear him admit how he BOILED his so-called favourite Superman figure.

I rest my case.
8)

Yeah, I wanted Quick Change Supes because Clark was in there too, but I really, really hated that they didn't give us a normal Clark instead of Camping Clark. Because I love the Kenner Supes, it wouldn't do for Mattel to whip up a Clark because he wouldn't be in the right scale. Someday, I'm going to have to invest in a good custom, like the ones I've seen around here, with the Clock King body and Kenner Clark head or something.

Interesting how the Euro Head seems angry. Did he want wider distribution?

I think I bought some S:TAS figures in a lot a few years back and never opened them. One of them might be a Euro Supes....I'll have to check.


I actually boiled a newer 2010 Superman figure, you know one of the figures that had horrible plastic and black painted on his forehead instead of his eyes... (I would never think of subjecting my favorite perfect Superman figure to that,) and I only boiled the one figure to see just how far he could be bent and manipulated. So... your honor, I move to have the Jury disregard DisneyBoy's last statement. *motion granted. ;)


D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 34  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.051s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]