Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Another DCUC question...capes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:40 am 
declined to be a vampire

Is there anyone out there that does capes like some people do with head casts, etc? Like...more rubbery and flexible?

A good portion of the DCUC figures just have capes that are awful, but then a few have some where they give and take quit a bit. And then you have some of the DC Direct capes that are rubbery (Sinestro Corps Superman is a great example).

I'm working on some customs, but then even some of my regular figures don't pose well because of those stupid capes. Can you get them anywhere?

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

Post subject: Re: Another DCUC question...capes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:06 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I can't say that I remember ever seeing anyone selling cast capes and I can't imagine that they'd be very cheap, either. I know Strangefate offers a few 3D printed ones through Shapeways but they're going to be expensive, they'll need to be painted and may be even less flexible than the Mattel ones.

If you have to have flexible your best bet would probably be vinyl or heavy fabric that was heavily starched. Might check the larger fabric stores like JoAnn, Hancock or Hobby Lobby and see what they've got. If you need something to hold it's shape, there's something I remember from years ago but I don't remember what it was called or know if it's still made. It was plastic that came in thin sheets and you'd put it into hot water and you could form it into drapes and folds and when it cooled it was supposed to retain the shape (I don't think it was supposed to be flexible at all when it hardened). I think it was somewhere around 8 1/2" x 11" and I only remember it coming in white and metallic colors *but* it's been a very long time since I looked at that stuff so any of this info could be off.

Post subject: Re: Another DCUC question...capes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:52 am 
declined to be a vampire

Jim_Abell wrote:
I can't say that I remember ever seeing anyone selling cast capes and I can't imagine that they'd be very cheap, either. I know Strangefate offers a few 3D printed ones through Shapeways but they're going to be expensive, they'll need to be painted and may be even less flexible than the Mattel ones.

If you have to have flexible your best bet would probably be vinyl or heavy fabric that was heavily starched. Might check the larger fabric stores like JoAnn, Hancock or Hobby Lobby and see what they've got. If you need something to hold it's shape, there's something I remember from years ago but I don't remember what it was called or know if it's still made. It was plastic that came in thin sheets and you'd put it into hot water and you could form it into drapes and folds and when it cooled it was supposed to retain the shape (I don't think it was supposed to be flexible at all when it hardened). I think it was somewhere around 8 1/2" x 11" and I only remember it coming in white and metallic colors *but* it's been a very long time since I looked at that stuff so any of this info could be off.

Thanks Jim, appreciate the response. Wasn't sure the cost effectiveness of something like a cape mold.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime