All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thingmaker 3D printer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:46 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/colu ... 4Y2LkBTZg#

Post subject: Re: Thingmaker 3D printer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:11 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

My son has been getting fairly comfortable with 3D printing in school and has been asking for a home unit. This might be the Christmas that it finally happens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:08 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

IF it does what it looks like it will, this may be perfect for the guys like myself who are customizers. LOTS of potential here.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:33 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

The price-point may be great but I get the impression that the thing is going to be VERY locked-in to only the files Mattel wants you to be able to print. You won't be able to create your own or work with outside files.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:16 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Sounds very time consuming *but* if you can get something the size of that scorpion out of it for $2 worth of material might not be too bad...

I could see the future of it making Hot Wheels cars like one of the vintage versions did or printing shoes and accessories for Barbie, Monster High or whatever. Could also be useful in making accessories-on-demand for lines like WWE or Multiverse that wouldn't necessarily have a place otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:28 am 
Fugitive Dust

it is time consuming if you want to make your own designs. printing takes a bit of time too. it states that the printer prints in pla and my experience pla is good but it can break if bent. abs has a more flexible prints but can stay firm. but from the video it states about using different materials, filament. now that would take a little tweaking of the printer settings to get correct and it depends on the environment the printer is in too. i'm no expert but i have played around a bit with mine and it can eat up some time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:53 pm 
ABS

I'm curious to see how this thing performs once it hits the streets.

To me, it sounds like the 3D printer equivalent of an Easy-Bake Oven. It's fun, and you can make great little cupcakes, but you'll never make Thanksgiving dinner with one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:06 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I think you hit a pretty good analogy with the Easy Bake... You can make the recipes Mattel offers but you're not going to be allowed to experiment on your own.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:17 am 
Santos L. Halper

I showed this to my wife when it was first announced. I'm not sure I'll jump on this one, but I'm pretty sure there will be a 3D printer in my future.

Now if Mattel were to provide "templates" of their discontinued or even current lines (hint: JLU) I'd grab one immediately. No question.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:52 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

All they really need to do is provide a template for a "blank". Which it kinda looks like it has (at least a "modular ball joint blank" (look at the scorpion and options they show in the demo video).

If someone were dedicated enough, I could easily see the entire DCU (or He-Man or whatever else is your fancy) getting pumped out of this machine.

They might not actively release a "JLU model" but I'm willing to bet you'd be able to find it in their library eventually.

If not, modder communities will have this thing broken down and hacked within minutes of it being released with any template ready to print you might want if you search hard enough for it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:47 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Quote:
If not, modder communities will have this thing broken down and hacked within minutes of it being released with any template ready to print you might want if you search hard enough for it.

That would be my guess, too, which, again, would make it a must-buy for me. If I can access templates, particularly for specific characters, then I'll absolutely do it.

My only hesitation would be that this is technology, and 3-6 months later, someone else will have a better/faster/cheaper version. If flat-screen TVs, smartphones and tablets have taught me anything, it's that you've got to take the long view.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:13 pm 
ABS

Seeing this purely for what its meant to be, I say cool. I'd get one in a flash.

On the other hand, I see a lot of disappointment coming for anyone who thinks this is the affordable 3D printer we've all been dreaming of since they invented 3D printers.