Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: GL:TAS + Mattel = possible JLU tie-in line!
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:09 am 
shirtless hugger

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/coming-soon/index.html#greenlantern

Man, they just HAVE to use the JLU bucks to make figures for this show. The poster basically looks like a Hal Jordan JLu figure! If they don't make this line in scale with JLU Mattel will be officially nuts!

Last edited by bat313 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: New GL:TAS poster up!
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:13 am 
Collector Inspector

Agreed!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:14 am 
Aspires to be #1

This isn't new. That image has been out for months. It does resemble Timm style though.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:22 am 
shirtless hugger

j1h15233 wrote:
This isn't new. That image has been out for months. It does resemble Timm style though.

I guess i should have said new cartoon network site update with final art poster? I'm just glad the final product is still true to the Timm style!

Post subject: Re: Edit: New GL:TAS site update!
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:31 am 
my tummy itches

bat313 wrote:
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/coming-soon/index.html#greenlantern

Man, they just HAVE to use the JLU bucks to make figures for this show. The poster basically looks like a Hal Jordan JLu figure! If they don't make this line in scale with JLU Mattel will be officially nuts!

Agree! Toyguru, you don't even have to mention the JLU line or that you're using those bucks because of JLU fans. Just use those bucks, let us buy them and add to our JLU collection, and we'll all keep a straight face and act like we don't know what's going on.

Thanks in advance! (Thanks for what? I don't know what you're talking about.) :wink: (Did you just wink? No, there's something in my eye.)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:16 am 
AFA Graded

Nudge...nudge...wink...wink, say no more, say no more. :wink: :wink:

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:49 am 
Aspires to be #1

I would be really surprised if they didn't use JLU parts with new heads. They love to be cheap and that's the cheapest thing they could do.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:17 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I'm thinking that they might look at the B&B molds with hex-holes, think of all the fun things they could do with constructs and just start using all those body molds with new heads ...

... ya know, just to MAKE SURE we can't get a JLU GL Hal ...

:twisted: :wink:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:33 pm 
Former King of Posts

Well, we didn't get a Hal Jordan in that line either :P

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:42 pm 
Aspires to be #1

That's because they used them all for DCUC.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:28 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

superfriend wrote:
Well, we didn't get a Hal Jordan in that line either :P

Now see, I got in trouble the last time I mentioned that lol...

But honestly, the style is pretty darn close to JLU. It would seem to be an obvious fit. Which like someone else says means it will never happen knowing Mattel.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:00 am 
Brand Manager

texgnome1 wrote:
But honestly, the style is pretty darn close to JLU. It would seem to be an obvious fit. Which like someone else says means it will never happen knowing Mattel.

Based on the fact that they already have tooling for The Manhunters, Abin Sur, Hal Jordan in a flight suit, Sinestro, Tomar-Re, Star Sapphire, Dr. Polaris, Katma, Arkkis, Eclipso, Evil Star, Alan Scott, Guy Gardner and Gold Face... It will happen.

Honestly, this is Mattel we are talking about. They are still recycling John Stewarts that were manufactured in 2001!!! Or to put it in another way... when was the last time you saw Batgirl, Penguin or the Gray Ghost in an actual, honest to God, JLU Episode?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:23 am 
Collector Inspector

red Ricky wrote:
Based on the fact that they already have tooling for The Manhunters, Abin Sur, Hal Jordan in a flight suit, Sinestro, Tomar-Re, Star Sapphire, Dr. Polaris, Katma, Arkkis, Eclipso, Evil Star, Alan Scott, Guy Gardner and Gold Face... It will happen.

And let's not forget the unreleased Mongul! This is what gives me hope that we will see him released even if it's not as a JLU figure.

I know folks hate it when anyone compares any toy line to Star Wars or GI Joe but this is the fundamental thing Mattel needs to grasp: The MAIN reason these two lines are so successful is that they honor their original scale/style as a base line. Sure they add figures, change sculpts, add atriculation, even create new non-compatible lines. But there is always that base line scale/style running. You take an original Chewbacca figure and stand him next to an Ahsoka Tano from the Clone Wars line and they're still compatible. If Hasbro woke up one morning and said "Let's end this line and start over. Let's only make Star Wars figures that are 5.75 inches tall and scrap everything else. It'll give new toy fans a good starting place and therefore we'll get more money," they'd lose a HUGE fan base.

I'm not saying the new animated GL series figures have to be rebranded JLU figures. But they absolutely should be close enough is scale and sculpt to be compatible if they want to get $$$ from JLU fans.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:41 am 
shirtless hugger

Quote:
Honestly, this is Mattel we are talking about.

That's what I'm afraid of, RR. Because it is Mattel, they'll probably do the figures in a 6-inch scale with hyper-realistic detailing. They've also got those Young Justice bucks to work with now, too. Never underestimate their ability to screw up.

That said, I find both Stel and Hannu from the movie lines to be fairly 'animated' looking and they are acceptable additions to my JLU GL Corps. So sometimes they get something right. Here's hoping.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:08 am 
Brand Manager

Yeah, but Mattel is cheap above everything else. And someone high-up in the Warner Bros. Animation Department still has to approve and/or ban figures, clear their designs, etc. (yeah, you guys know what I'm talking about!) I mean, from what we've been told, there are checkpoints to ensure that the figures retain the Bruce Timm style. Hell, from the number of MOC Figures the man has signed, one of those checkpoints might be Bruce Timm himself.

And by the way, I'm also adding Movie figures to my JLU collection. In my case it's Isamot Kol, Stel and the Green Man. Not only are they okay as background Lanterns; but their constructs are some of the best ones out there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next