Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Farewell DCUC...we barely knew ye...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:23 pm 
serves the Otter

In my opinion, the new rebranded line not having C&C figures is a GOOD thing. Most of us were likely to pick and choose the new DCnU crap anyway, so Mattel has removed any temptation to be completists just to get a C&C figure in each wave.

I'll probably get the new Wonder Woman and Cyborg, and maybe some other of the new costumes that I like, but I definitely wouldn't have wanted to buy ALL of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:27 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Here is one interview about it that AF Times did, it's a video interview

http://aftimes.com/2011/07/sdcc-2011-mattel-dcuc-wave-20-and-beyond/

Here's a quick transcription I did of the first two questions/answers from that interview for those interested (a few of my thoughts after)...

Q: We're here with Fan Girl 2.0. Everybody has been talking about how DC Universe Classics has come to an end, but it hasn’t come to an end at all, in fact it’s really gearing up…

A: As we announced yesterday at our fan panels, if nothing else it’s getting bigger.
So for next year instead of just having product at retail, you’ll now find 6’ inch figures at retail, like you always have, in addition to our subscription program. So that subscription program is what we’re adding that’s new, but we’re not taking anything away.

The product at retail is changing a little bit and I think that’s what maybe is causing the rumors online. In the past we’ve offered our figures in waves, including the collect and connect piece, instead that collect and connect is going to be replaced by oversized figures. Which are actually so much better, because it offers the opportunity to do figures that were larger than we could previously fit in the package…

Q: Now will those be at retail or part of the subscription…

A: Part of the subscription. And then for the retail execution, because we no longer need that collect and connect there, because we are offering the oversized, awesome things online, we’re now going to offer figures that are little bit different than what we’ve done before, just in terms of not being in waves, not including the collect and connect, giving us a little more freedom and flexibility to not have themed waves.

Also, with the DC comics reboot, renumbering, rebranding, etc.. it gives us an opportunity to do our own rebranding. Now this doesn’t mean that we are going to be doing is just characters from the new reboot.

But it does mean it opens the door to move away from what we may have been doing in the past, in addition to offering some of that. It really opens the door to new opportunities; it gives the chance to not be stuck with what we were doing and allows us the freedom and flexibility to offer what the fans are looking for.

---------------

Some of my thoughts:

- What's causing the rumors online is that at the DC panel you announced the line was ending, not really sure why they blame the fans for speculating. It would have made more sense to announce what the follow-up plans were at the same time then letting the news dangle out there.

- She says the real benefit is freedom and flexibility, but gives no information on what that means. Flexible to do what? Offer different number of figures at one time, instead of concrete waves of six or seven figures, they can now release one at a time? Or does she mean flexibility/freedom when it comes to character selection? She's so vague, I don't see how this is going to calm collectors down.

- If they are taking away the collect and connect piece, are they decreasing the price of the figures? I doubt it, but that should decrease the cost of the figures, they should pass on that savings to their customers. The new Batman: Legacy line isn't cheaper so I doubt the rebranded line will be.

- Also, I agree BlackCanary that removing the collect and connect isn't a bad thing if the line will be split with redesigns/classic designs. It will help collectors just be able to buy figures they want and not be forced to buy entire lines just for the pieces.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:35 pm 
declined to be a vampire

Mattel has to pass that decrease cost to the retailer. If they don't, we won't see it.

So for a change...the costs of these new 6 inch figures is up to Mattel. If oversized figures are made based on subscription totals...then there is absolutely no reason that "tooling" costs should be considered in the retailer DC line (in relation to the CnC).

Like someone else said...Batman legacy has nothing and they are still 16 bucks.

Hey mattel...get the cost of these things down. You've got "flexibility" now (or so you say)...so use some of that flexibility and get the cost of the figures down to an affordable price (for the quality you give us)

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:13 pm 
ABS

I can respect people who are fine not having a Collect and Connect piece since it definitely helps with just cherry picking the figures you want. Given the price of these figures, from the consumer side of things it certainly alleviates fiduciary concerns. I was just commenting on the fact that it might eventually lead to severe pegwarming which can kill the line.

The other unfortunate consequence of dropping the Collect and Connect oversized figures in the retail line is that if the Club Infinite Earths subscription fails to go forward, you are looking at no new oversized figures beyond Nekron. Unless the subscription succeeds, it looks like the only way to get a properly scaled DCUC Doomsday is as a SDCC exclusive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:23 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

SDcomics wrote:
Also, just so you all know, and as some of you already surmised, I'm pretty sure Mattel was blindsided by all this, just like we were.

I really get the feeling that if they had their way, they'd be rolling merrily along doing what they did for the first 16 waves before the line became GEOFF JOHNS EGO CLASSICS.

I can see the looks in their faces. Scott and Bill don't really want to waste their time on the Robin with the chicken wings. I'm sure the Four Horsemen have lots of other DC figures they'd rather do than Superman with blue jeans. They're trying to hide it, but you can tell they're disappointed.

So they're not to blame. They got dealt a s**tty hand, same as we did.

Mike
(All we can do is deal with it and move on. We vote with our wallets. Support the classic figures and send the suits at the WB a message.)

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:51 am 
declined to be a vampire

That's nice and all, but blindly supporting some line when all we get from Mattel is "vote with your wallets"

I think the sub is a good idea, but I need to see more.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:06 pm 
Variant Head

I am sorry but Fangirl strieks me as the girl who works somewhere based solely on the fact that shes a girl. I mean I hate to be negative but she said nothing but vague comments that did nothing but leave me asking more questions. I get the feeling she is in charge of DCU now because she will have less input and be more of a Yes woman.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:16 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Wow.

Sexist, much? :roll:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:41 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Shellhead wrote:
Wow.

yes, now be quiet and get me my dinner, sugar buns! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:00 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

elvis8batman wrote:
Shellhead wrote:
Wow.

yes, now be quiet and get me my dinner, sugar buns! :wink:

That's Miss sugar buns to you, pally! :lol:

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

HA HA :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:20 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I don't think she's there just to be a "yes" girl but she doesn't sound very knowledgeable either. And if you watched the video of their presentation, the people in the room hardly sounded excited about most of the things she had to say.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:24 pm 
Brand Manager

BlackCanary wrote:
I can respect people who are fine not having a Collect and Connect piece since it definitely helps with just cherry picking the figures you want. Given the price of these figures, from the consumer side of things it certainly alleviates fiduciary concerns. I was just commenting on the fact that it might eventually lead to severe pegwarming which can kill the line.

But bad case packouts also lead to severe pegwarming. Remember, retail cases didn't come in a 1:1 ratio; so there was always an excess of one part and a scarcity of another (Giganta comes to mind, but I believe Kalibak also had excessive limbs).

Either way, the availability of the C&C figure on Matty allows Mattel to wet their beaks in the secondary market. And by that I mean that it allows them to sell figures to those of us who liked the oversized figure far better than the regular figures and would buy them in order to complement our DC Direct Collections.

BlackCanary wrote:
The other unfortunate consequence of dropping the Collect and Connect oversized figures in the retail line is that if the Club Infinite Earths subscription fails to go forward, you are looking at no new oversized figures beyond Nekron. Unless the subscription succeeds, it looks like the only way to get a properly scaled DCUC Doomsday is as a SDCC exclusive.

Not necessarily. Doomsday could still be part of a Superman Legacy line and/or Man of Steel Classics line.

From what I could gather, DCUC is canceled. It was probably canceled because the big 3 (Walmart, Target & Toys R' US) lost interest and cut/lowered their orders. This left Mattel with two extra Waves and nowhere to put them. Well, except for Mattycollector. The thing is... they could sell all these figures at once, or they could sell them on a monthly basis. The latter makes them more money on account of how much they currently charge for shipping; plus it also acts as a Pre-Order. Only it's a pre-order for the whole wave, not just "a" figure.

Anyways... Going forth, I expect them to follow the Public Enemies/Green Lantern Classics/Young Justice/Batman Legacy "business model" (i.e. a series of lines consisting of 1 or 2 Waves that they can "sell" to Retail on an individual basis, as opposed to trying to convince them to "stick" with the flagship line.)

The problem with this scenario... well, it's evident by the examples I just mentioned. Specially if you remember the Public Enemies fiasco, or are currently buying the Green Lantern Movie Masters.

Either way, I don't buy the "corporate line" that DCUC ended because of the new DCnU. That's too close to an excuse I would give my parents for failing a test. I mean... first of all, DC has never dictated to Mattel "which" characters to make. True, DC has final say/approval and has "blocked" certain characters, but that is mostly as a quality control/image measure. Dictating to Mattel something akin to a character list would make Mattel a subcontractor, not a partner. Plus, there's also the fact that DC has not figured out how their villains are going to look. Sure, they have new looks for their Heroes, but the new look for characters like Brainiac and Cheetah are "up in the air", yet again.

Last edited by red Ricky on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:26 pm 
shirtless hugger

The only thing that she does that grates on me (and this would be true of anyone not familiar with the lingo) is that she actually says the roman numerals for legacy characters outload. I am almost positive that I haven't head anyone in my entire life say "Flash 2" before. It's not a big deal, but learning just a handful of legacy names would allow her to sound much more versed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:37 pm 
Brand Manager

Yeah, Doc Owen had to explain (for her) that we were talking about a White Lantern Flash. In the meantime, my mind wondered if she was talking about a Wally West version. The thing is... if you go by history, Barry Allen was the second Flash and he is already out. And if you go by the line, Flash has already been released in normal costume, variant costume, all-star and blue lantern. So there's no way you can figure out what she means when she says Flash #2. Unless, of course, she means "poopy" Flash. But that's probably another line.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next