Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you have questions about the DCUC Subcription?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:37 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

j1h15233 wrote:
Not to mention, that you wouldn't be able to buy those magazines off a rack if enough people hadn't subscribed to them in the first place.

There are so many other points to argue there too but I don't think I'll waste my time.

FYI, Neither Detective Comics or Entertainment Weekly offered subscriptions at launch. The basis for a magazine surviving is not how many subscriptions they have, but total readership, which determines ad prices, which is where most publishers make their $$ (not big two comics publishers who make most of their income from ancillary products, but magazines). No one cares where or how the issues are sold, meaning you could theoretically have a successful newsstand-only magazine with NO subscribers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:48 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Actually, you are only partially accurate there.

Magazines rely on subscriptions to set the baseline for ad dollars. the Subscription pool gives potential advertisers a "guaranteed audience of x". Newstand sales are ancilliary and may or may not affect the cost of advertising space.

Major magazine publishers MAY launch initially without subscriptions, but it is always with the intent of grabbing and maintaining a large enough subscription body mass as the periodical progresses.

If you have ever had a magazine subscription that has lapsed, you may have noticed how these publishers will continue to send you "please come back" offers for years after you chose not to renew.

You are correct in that the comic publishers function under a much different model. Since they have built the "Direct Market", they have maintained a "subscription pool" of dedicated customers, albeit in a much different fashion. By utilizing the sales figures of these publications across the Direct Market, they can land a revenue stream through merchandising and advertisement, with the former being the more coveted revenue stream. However, the industry, as a whole, has been watching the slow decline of the dedicated audience and is, possibly too late, trying to alter its business model to accomodate a new audience.

In any event, any periodical publication that relied SOLELY on newstand sales with NO SUBSCRIPTION might succeed in theory, but in theory only.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:58 am 
Displays Backwards

Jroug wrote:
FYI, Neither Detective Comics or Entertainment Weekly offered subscriptions at launch. The basis for a magazine surviving is not how many subscriptions they have, but total readership, which determines ad prices, which is where most publishers make their $$ (not big two comics publishers who make most of their income from ancillary products, but magazines). No one cares where or how the issues are sold, meaning you could theoretically have a successful newsstand-only magazine with NO subscribers.

As a charter subscriber to Entertainment Weekly, I can attest that it did launch with a subscription. The first issue in my mailbox featured a cover story about k.d. lang and Neneh Cherry.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:13 am 
shirtless hugger

If the subscription goes forward, will the figures be available for sale individually, like MOTUC and ghostbusters?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:20 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yes, Mattel has already stated that this will run the same as each of the other subscriptions.

If you buy in, you get each figure each month (for DCU it is 9 monthly and 3 oversized). The subscription figures will begin shipping 2-3 days before the sale date to the general public.

There will be a small percentage of figures produced for sale on Matty.com on the 15th (or the closest Mon to that date) but they have already hinted that it is at "sell out in minutes" levels so I wouldn't plan on relying on that method at this point.

I've been in since the sub went live and each new announcement just makes me that much more ready for it.

So, while this may seem utterly confusing and bass-ackwards to some, it is what I've been hoping for since that damnable site launched.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:24 am 
Hat Pooper

Zodach wrote:
nquick wrote:
What if you get a figure you don't like? Can you return it for another one or credit for next month figure?

Nope. If you decide to purchase the subscription, you are all in no matter what the figures are. If you are afraid that you might not like some of the character selections, then don't buy the sub. But you will miss out on the sub exclusive figure which could be Metron or Rocket Red. You might not have any trouble selling the figures you don't like but it is your obligation to take them as a subscriber.

nquick wrote:
Why don't they offer a reduce shipping or free shipping with these figures?

Mattel doesn't want to lose money by offering discounts on shipping. They are in this business to make money and they have to pay for postage and supplies just like anyone else as well as pay Digital River to pack up the items. You can combine shipping with all subscriptions (MOTU, Ghostbusters, and Voltron) which could be a great way to save some money if you are interested in those subscriptions.

Thanks I appreciate your answers. The figure things doesn't bother me as much as the cost of shipping. I think if you get the subscription that should be one of those perks or have the option to combine shipping some how. Maybe send figures on a quaterly basis if that will reduce shipping. I rather not pay $8-$10 to ship one figure if I can pay a little more ( $10-15) to ship 4 at once.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:34 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

All this discussion is moot. We haven't cracked 30% yet.

Unless we got an extension, stick a fork in it, it's over. :evil:

I got two of them (for my and my friend), so I was very excited about the sub. Poison Ivy made it even more so.

But now I kinda feel like the JLU fans who saw all those new toys at ToyFair that they're never gonna get.

I almost don't want any more info on who's in the sub, 'cause it'll just be more salt in the wound. :x

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:08 am 
shirtless hugger

Jroug wrote:
Way to insert a whole bunch of your own conclusions.

The original analogy was Entertainment Weekly & Detective Comics. Can you buy both of those by subscription and on stands individually? Yes, you can. One does not preclude the other.

So to clarify: My point/statement was this: with most comic or magazine subscription items, you have a choice to subscribe or buy off the stands after you've had a chance to evaluate them in person, which is not the case here. Simple. Any questions?

Let me try to clarify what I'm talking about.

You go to a newsstand and you buy an issue of Entertainment Weekly. You flip through it and decide you would like a subscription. When you buy the subscription, you're not going to get something that is exactly the same as that first issue of Entertainment Weekly every week. You're going to get a new issue, with new content - new articles, new letters, new pictures, new everything (there might be an ad or two that carry over).

People have had several years and eighteen waves to buy DCU Classics off the stands and evaluate them in person (or a few waves fewer than that, depending on distribution). It sounds like your objection is not to the subscription itself, but mainly to the fact that DCUC as we know it won't be available in stores anymore. Am I reading that right?

Quote:
Further to that point, there have been some awful choices in the DCUC line, and while you can't please everyone, I think it's safe to say that few if any subscribers would be happy if they only got repaints all year, for instance. So maybe it would have been a better launch for this campaign if these issues had been thought through and addressed BEFORE the sub program showed signs of tanking. Even listing a pool of characters that were up for consideration would be better than "these three and a big one."

I agree that the subscription feels like it was hastily thrown together with very little thought or planning (at least they could have had some sort of a FAQ ready before they announced this thing). That said, I think having been shown Jay Garrick, Atrocitus, and Starman should be more than enough to give subscribers an idea of what to expect, based on character selection and the amount of tooling involved.

I think what it boils down to is this: the subscription is going to be just like the retail line, in that there will be figures you like and figures you don't like. When you buy a subscription, you don't know exactly what you're going to get. As I said in my first post, it comes down to a risk vs. reward decision. It sounds to me like you'd rather not take the risk, which is a totally valid opinion and one I absolutely understand. Me, I'm all in.

Quote:
As far as online shopping and I are concerned, I buy almost everything online. The reason I don't like to buy from Matty.com is because it provides the worst online customer experience I have ever had - consistently!

Here we are in total agreement - mattycollector.com is awful. But think about this: if you bought the sub, the figures would be automatically sent to you and you would never have to deal with the website at all.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

My only questions is: Can Matty guarantee that none of the subscription figures will be repaints or rereleases of previous figures?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:51 am 
PVC

shishalzafrazz wrote:
ok, i have a question for mattel:

will the 2012 sub GUARANTEE that the Metal Men and Doom Patrol teams be COMPLETED, or will we just get more of each team with the hopes that the teams might be completed in the 2013 sub?

shishalzafrazz, not mean to be disrespectful about your opinion....

because for Mattel, this is a damn you do and damn you don't... why? because you simply can't please everyone.

for example, this isn't a sub. for only Doom Patrol and Metal Men.

I really don't care for both group. I am not sure how many characters left to consider the both group is complete. At least 2 for Metal Men and 3 for Doom Patrol?

2-3 characters from both group is okay, I can deal with, but not 4-5 characters that's too much for someone who doesn't follow the two groups.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:56 am 
Daniel Pickett

alkatrazzz wrote:
My only questions is: Can Matty guarantee that none of the subscription figures will be repaints or rereleases of previous figures?

I asked them that question as part of the Q&A I sent in to them, but I think it's a safe bet there won't be any straight repaints. If you look at the history of their other 2 subs -MOTUC and Ghostbusters there haven't been any re-paints. Slimed Egon might be considered a repaint but he was a comic con figure and not part of the sub. Marshmallow Ray is kind of a repaint, but he was just the sub exclusive figure. Slimed Peter had a new head, a stand and the proton beam. So not really a repaint as such.

And there haven't been any "repaints" in the MOTUC subs. Every release has been a different character or a different version of a character. Any repaints have been out side of the subs.

Hope that helps
D.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:46 pm 
Smack! Smack! Smack!

I was really excited for this as well. I was expecting people to be interested as all but Starman are heavily desired figures. But so many people just broogle and moan about every detail. In some ways, I hope Mattel doesn't release any of these at retail for a long time just to spite people. What does it take to please people? I really hope they extend the subscription period. With the garbage that is Marvel legends returning, it may have been a bad time to due this sub...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:00 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Actually, you are only partially accurate there.

Magazines rely on subscriptions to set the baseline for ad dollars. the Subscription pool gives potential advertisers a "guaranteed audience of x". Newstand sales are ancilliary and may or may not affect the cost of advertising space.

Major magazine publishers MAY launch initially without subscriptions, but it is always with the intent of grabbing and maintaining a large enough subscription body mass as the periodical progresses.

If you have ever had a magazine subscription that has lapsed, you may have noticed how these publishers will continue to send you "please come back" offers for years after you chose not to renew.

You are correct in that the comic publishers function under a much different model. Since they have built the "Direct Market", they have maintained a "subscription pool" of dedicated customers, albeit in a much different fashion. By utilizing the sales figures of these publications across the Direct Market, they can land a revenue stream through merchandising and advertisement, with the former being the more coveted revenue stream. However, the industry, as a whole, has been watching the slow decline of the dedicated audience and is, possibly too late, trying to alter its business model to accomodate a new audience.

In any event, any periodical publication that relied SOLELY on newstand sales with NO SUBSCRIPTION might succeed in theory, but in theory only.

That's why the word "theoretically" is in my post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:01 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

GregNYC wrote:
Jroug wrote:

As a charter subscriber to Entertainment Weekly, I can attest that it did launch with a subscription. The first issue in my mailbox featured a cover story about k.d. lang and Neneh Cherry.

My recollection is different. I had been buying it for six months or so before a sub was offered.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:16 pm 
MINT!

Joe G. wrote:
Ram wrote:
One of my biggest concerns is the price of the figures. At $15 per 6" figure we're paying almost exactly what they would be at retail. However, built into that retail price is the cost to Mattel for shipping that figure to the retailer, the cost of the retailer distributing the figure to their stores, and the profit margin for the retailer to stock the figure. With Mattel selling the figures directly to the customers through their website, there is none of that cost incurred but we're still charged the same price plus shipping. With the cost of the figure being what it is with another $10 in shipping on top of it, we're being asked to pay around $25 for a figure that costs us less at retail. This means that for someone who is on a tight budget in this economy, with toy purchases comming in low on the list of priorities, there is no real benefit to participating in Mattel's subscription service. Now if Mattel offered free shipping or at least a reduced cost on the figures, I would be happy to sign up for the subscription, but it doesn't yet make sense to me.

You've got to figure that Mattel is also going to be making fewer of these figures for the online market than they would be for mass market retail, though. Lower production run = higher production cost, which is how we get to the $15 per figure even without all of those other costs you factored in.

I would love it if Mattel offered free shipping on anything. The day they do that, though, is the day the devil goes ice skating in hell.

A lower production run is Mattel's fault. They're already admitting that they are offering the most wanted figures. These are the figures that would fly off the shelves at retail anyway. They are choosing this route. The production costs are already pretty low compared to other lines considering they are reusing many existing parts. Not to mention, there's no C&C pieces. They are offering the the large scale figures but you're paying for them directly and not in pieces therefore they don't need to be costed out. There's no reason these figures should be sold online at these prices.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next