Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you have questions about the DCUC Subcription?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:18 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Joe G. wrote:
Jroug wrote:
Way to insert a whole bunch of your own conclusions.

The original analogy was Entertainment Weekly & Detective Comics. Can you buy both of those by subscription and on stands individually? Yes, you can. One does not preclude the other.

So to clarify: My point/statement was this: with most comic or magazine subscription items, you have a choice to subscribe or buy off the stands after you've had a chance to evaluate them in person, which is not the case here. Simple. Any questions?

Let me try to clarify what I'm talking about.

You go to a newsstand and you buy an issue of Entertainment Weekly. You flip through it and decide you would like a subscription. When you buy the subscription, you're not going to get something that is exactly the same as that first issue of Entertainment Weekly every week. You're going to get a new issue, with new content - new articles, new letters, new pictures, new everything (there might be an ad or two that carry over).

People have had several years and eighteen waves to buy DCU Classics off the stands and evaluate them in person (or a few waves fewer than that, depending on distribution). It sounds like your objection is not to the subscription itself, but mainly to the fact that DCUC as we know it won't be available in stores anymore. Am I reading that right?

Your clarification is fine, but it's not what you originally said, which is why I responded.

That said, it's not the same for everyone. With Entertainment Weekly or Detective Comics, you know you are going to get Entertainment Coverage or a Batman story. You might not like either of them, but if you subscribe, chances are you're invested enough in either to be happy MOST of the time. Also, it's a small investment per item (ET subs are practically free). In the DCUC case, it's quite likely some really awful garbage could be part of the mix, if not the main part of the mix. Obviously you can't please everyone all the time, but at approx $25 each after S&H, I'd like a better idea of what we're getting and the team should have anticipated that. The potential repaint factor is my main concern, and considering Scott's GL fetish, a real possibility.

No, my objection is not to the fact that it's not going to be in stores - it's due to the poor roll-out of the sub and the overall poor handling of this line since day one. If they'd run it properly, the sub service might be ancillary to the main line. As it stands, it's up to the fans (again) to try and resurrect/rescue a line that Mattel has badly bungled (again).

Quote:
Further to that point, there have been some awful choices in the DCUC line, and while you can't please everyone, I think it's safe to say that few if any subscribers would be happy if they only got repaints all year, for instance. So maybe it would have been a better launch for this campaign if these issues had been thought through and addressed BEFORE the sub program showed signs of tanking. Even listing a pool of characters that were up for consideration would be better than "these three and a big one."

I agree that the subscription feels like it was hastily thrown together with very little thought or planning (at least they could have had some sort of a FAQ ready before they announced this thing). That said, I think having been shown Jay Garrick, Atrocitus, and Starman should be more than enough to give subscribers an idea of what to expect, based on character selection and the amount of tooling involved.

I think what it boils down to is this: the subscription is going to be just like the retail line, in that there will be figures you like and figures you don't like. When you buy a subscription, you don't know exactly what you're going to get. As I said in my first post, it comes down to a risk vs. reward decision. It sounds to me like you'd rather not take the risk, which is a totally valid opinion and one I absolutely understand. Me, I'm all in.
Quote:

As I've said, I subbed. Twice. Willing to take the chance, just irritated at bad business (again).

Quote:
As far as online shopping and I are concerned, I buy almost everything online. The reason I don't like to buy from Matty.com is because it provides the worst online customer experience I have ever had - consistently!

Here we are in total agreement - mattycollector.com is awful. But think about this: if you bought the sub, the figures would be automatically sent to you and you would never have to deal with the website at all.

Believe me, that's a bonus. But if you look at it from many POV's, the drivers they had with MOTUC (and to a lesser extent Ghostbusters) aren't in place here. Retail availability is hardly the issue with this line anymore. Fans weren't begging for this. There are lots of reasons to be skeptical. I just wish they had their ducks in a row before saying "DCU is dead, here's a subscription to take it's place, go buy it."

And you STILL have to deal with Matty.com to get a sub.

And probably a refund.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:27 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

@Shell-Head doesn't feel to good to be on the other end of a "Matty'd", does it? Now you know why those JLU threads were started.

@JuliusMarx Can you really defend this attempt by Mattel? The announcement of this effort was so obtuse @ SDCC that both AFI and AFT had to conduct personal interviews with the brand managers @ SDCC for clarification. And obviously that still wasn't enough because now we have this thread you started to continue to try and get key answers from Mattel. Then there's the timing and marketing. Why is this program so rushed? We were told it wasn't directly because of the DC relaunch, so we can only assume it's because of lagging sales at retail. Why not prepare this plan, get all the details straight and then announce @ SDCC with all the proper info and allow at least a few months for people to buy into the sub. That might allow them to advertise the sub on websites, publications, maybe even a little insert into wave 18 and 19 saying if you want more, sign up!

But instead we're given mere weeks with a thermometer that does not update in real time and just sits there, implying failure to one or more parties involved. There's also the fan demanded poll which is available for anyone to vote as many times because... why? Then there's the big kicker, the one that's spawned so much vitriol. The teasing of fan-demanded figures that appear to be fully completed, but may never see the light of day. Did they not learn anything from the JLU unveil at this years Toyfare? This is what drives people like shabby blue to anger on a message board. After all the money we've spent on Mattel product as we sat through the umpteenth Hal Jordan mode and the nonsense of wave 17, we're told core, CORE DC Characters like Poison Ivy and The Golden Age Flash, may not happen because we don't buy into a flawed, mismanaged program. IMHO, that's not defendable.

Hasbro doesn't do this. Sideshow doesn't do this. MATTEL does this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:46 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Is this the Matty Collector boards because there seems to be an infusion of dumb arguments happening?

And I still don't understand why people complain about buying figures online. 15 dollars + 10 shipping or so is way freaking cheaper than 15 dollars + tax + gas + time + plus general hassle of getting to stores and finding items.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:43 pm 
5" Scale

j1h15233 wrote:
. 15 dollars + 10 shipping or so is way freaking cheaper than 15 dollars + tax + gas + time + plus general hassle of getting to stores and finding items.

amen and most of us where buying full sets and singels from places like BBTS or ETC, so its not really that much different, Im still hoping and praying that we will get like 50% and maybe mattel will give it a try, but Im not holding my breath.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:11 pm 
Brand Manager

And I still don't understand why people complain about buying figures online. 15 dollars + 10 shipping or so is way freaking cheaper than 15 dollars + tax + gas + time + plus general hassle of getting to stores and finding items.

Sorry but I loved DCUC at retail 15 bucks no sales tax in my state and I would just have WM oreder it and grab it the night came in no big deal. I understand not as easy for everyone else but for me this whole buying figures without checking paint apps first is a HUGE deal !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:17 pm 
Collector Inspector

talosman wrote:
shishalzafrazz wrote:
ok, i have a question for mattel:

will the 2012 sub GUARANTEE that the Metal Men and Doom Patrol teams be COMPLETED, or will we just get more of each team with the hopes that the teams might be completed in the 2013 sub?

shishalzafrazz, not mean to be disrespectful about your opinion....

because for Mattel, this is a damn you do and damn you don't... why? because you simply can't please everyone.

for example, this isn't a sub. for only Doom Patrol and Metal Men.

I really don't care for both group. I am not sure how many characters left to consider the both group is complete. At least 2 for Metal Men and 3 for Doom Patrol?

2-3 characters from both group is okay, I can deal with, but not 4-5 characters that's too much for someone who doesn't follow the two groups.

yeah, dude, i can totally dig that, my point is that if the existence of a sub or the line at all is contingient on people buying into it, then we should know all there is to know. or hold back 2 special surprise figures MAYBE. i am not a dcuc collector, i only want metal men and doom patrol, and if they dont plan to finish at least the core members of both teams, i'm not buying the sub. they have alluded to it, but if they dont come right out and say, yes, the sub will include elasti-girl, lead, tin and platinum AT LEAST, then i'm not buying it. i'm not buying 8 regular size and 2 big figures i dont want to get one more figure from each team or two from one and none from the other. for me, it is a doom patrol and metal men COMPLETION subthat includes a couple toys i can use to trade for other stuff from other lines, or it's just some random toy line i dont care about. there are 3 more metal men and i guess technically really only one more doom patroller, although there are three more important characters to go for that team. however, if i were guaranteed that we were finishing these teams with AT LEAST THOSE FOUR OTHER FIGURES, i'd buy the sub in a heartbeat and trade off the figures i dont want. and, to save on shipping, i'd buy a ghostbusters sub, too, and do the same with those. as it stands now, i'm buying neither, cause the gb line is happening either way, and if it's not going to save me shipping to combine it with dcu, i'll just buy the ones i want.

as for the subscription argument, my "issue" is, since entertainment weekly and detective comics are being used as examples, if i already know what stuff goes in the magazine and it's existance isnt contingent on me purchasing a subscription, put whatever you think everybody will buy in it. however, if you're asking me to commit to buying a magazine in hopes that it has some features on the new dark knight movie and has a couple issues with clayface 3 in it, but all i end up getting is black eyed peas interviews and mad hatter stories over and over, i'm going to be pissed i got it. and to go even deeper, from my own personal standpoint, if you tell me they MIGHT finish the last 3 parts of the chris nolan interview and the final chapter in the clayface 3 trilogy that they've already established IF i buy it and they dont, not only am i going to be pissed that i didnt get to finish those stories, and not only am i going to be pissed i'm now stuck with a bunch of crappy articles on george clooney's trips to madagascar and how nightwing got his groove back, but i'm going to be pissed you got me interested in the nolan interview and clayface story in the first place and feel like i was bamboozled into buying the incomplete issues that i already did.

does that make sense? sort of?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:26 pm 
Aspires to be #1

PBateman wrote:
Sorry but I loved DCUC at retail 15 bucks no sales tax in my state and I would just have WM oreder it and grab it the night came in no big deal. I understand not as easy for everyone else but for me this whole buying figures without checking paint apps first is a HUGE deal !

That's what you were doing anyway. Even if Walmart ordered a case just for you, there could still be bad paint. Then what would you do? Return them and have them send you more. That's the same as buying online.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:34 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Wasn't this supposed to be a thread for AFI to get your questions ask, not a pissing contest about how much Matty sucks? Is that really what this forum has become? If it is, count me out. I can understand being frustrated, but I think some of you folks are taking things a bit too far. I'm actually surprised that one of the staff hasn't come in here and deleted all of the posts that don't have a question about the subscription. Because that's really what this thread is all about, getting answers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:14 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Shut up and give Mattel your money, no questions asked.

8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:10 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

<<As Mattel explained – the 2012 is already in the works and in the process of being locked down. The line has not been "green lit" past 2012 from the Mattel execs. So there really no guarantee that the line will progress past 2012. >>

So it's ALREADY "greenlit" for 2012? So much unclear information out there about this and with every "clarification" it gets more confusing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:15 pm 
categorically opposed

Jroug wrote:
<<As Mattel explained – the 2012 is already in the works and in the process of being locked down. The line has not been "green lit" past 2012 from the Mattel execs. So there really no guarantee that the line will progress past 2012. >>

So it's ALREADY "greenlit" for 2012? So much unclear information out there about this and with every "clarification" it gets more confusing.

Wave 20 comes out in 2012 (as said in their panel), so yeah, it's continuing.

After wave 20, it will have a new name.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:43 pm 
5th Horseman

GregNYC wrote:
For those who want to know the number of subscriptions Mattel is seeking as a baseline, please be aware that Mattel does not release sales figures. Ever.

In fact, most companies keep sales figures a closely guarded secret because their competitors could use those numbers to their advantage. The best you can hope for are quarterly earnings reports broken down by unit.

It's not going to happen, so please stop asking. To keep asking a private corporation for this data is a waste of time.

You're certainly right, but I've always wondered how that info could help competitors. Do you have any idea how it would? Because I'm coming up blank.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:42 pm 
Displays Backwards

DanMan wrote:
GregNYC wrote:
For those who want to know the number of subscriptions Mattel is seeking as a baseline, please be aware that Mattel does not release sales figures. Ever.

In fact, most companies keep sales figures a closely guarded secret because their competitors could use those numbers to their advantage. The best you can hope for are quarterly earnings reports broken down by unit.

It's not going to happen, so please stop asking. To keep asking a private corporation for this data is a waste of time.

You're certainly right, but I've always wondered how that info could help competitors. Do you have any idea how it would? Because I'm coming up blank.

Generally speaking, a company could use a competitor's sales data to find a way to sell a similar product at a cheaper price.

In this case, it's a little more complex because Mattel has the DC license and its biggest rival, Hasbro, does not. But Hasbro does have the Marvel license and a line of 6'' Marvel action figures, and I'll bet Hasbro execs sure would like to know how much Mattel spends on its 6'' DCUC line. It's not exactly comparing apples with apples, though. Well, maybe Granny Smith vs. Fuji.

And that DC license is up for renewal soon, so I doubt Mattel wants Hasbro to be able to figure out how much money it makes off that license, just in case Hasbro is interested in putting in a bid of its own.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:20 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I'm surprised nobody is that upset at the real culprit, Warner/DC, for causing this mess in the first place. had they not decided they wanted to hide all evidence their characters had histories before the relaunch, Classics would have gone on. Matty had the rug pulled out from under them and are NOT to blame.

That said, I don't think the extension will help. Being online might make you think that people are just stubborn and are refusing to subscribe but the truth is the numbers aren't there for the subscription, at least as it's set up now. The bad economy results in a lot of us being unable to pay the subscription costs, especially with the overlap between DCUC fans and MOTUC fans. Maybe if they gave some kind of discount for holding multiple subscriptions, it might help. But as it is, it's tough for most people to commit to this because it's hard to say you'd have the money to pay a year from now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:32 pm 
Cold-cast

Here's an offer if anyone is having trouble affording the sub. Does anyone want me to buy the sub for you and hold onto them over time to ship together later? Since I'm going to join all their subs the extra shipping per figure to get them to me should be pretty minimal, around $3 (could be less if I sign a lot of people onto this)? They don't charge me tax. So it'd probably be $18 per 9 6" figures, $32 per 4 oversized figures, subtotal $290, plus 3% online payment fees (or you could send a check/MO to avoid that) making it about $300, plus shipping to you. I'd be shipping from PA, zip code 18202, through the U.S. postal service. So say possibly $20 shipping for everything at the end of the year gives you a total of $320. That seems like a savings of at least $35 off of subscribing yourself. Maybe more if you're overseas (calculate estimates on USPS.com from my zip code), but I have to declare the full value of the items if you want the protection of shipping insurance. I did this for someone with MOTUC so I can provide a reference through him.

I'd need you to pay me the sign-up fee that covers the exclusive figure before I submit my order the weekend before it ends. I'd also need your e-mail, work/home/cell phone numbers and shipping address in advance. Then you'd need to pay me each month for the figures as they come out through Google Checkout (which has the similar 3% PayPal-like fee). Then I could ship them to you whenever you want them shipped and have you pay the shipping then. If you want to wait until the end of year, or do 2 or 3 separate shipments that's fine. If you can travel to King of Prussia, PA, you can pick them up from me in front of the TRU there too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next