Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What if......Mattel and a JLU Subcription...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:08 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

ian5555 wrote:
/sigh

You still don't get it.

~Sigh~

You still don't get it. JLU fans live on.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

Last edited by An-Gel Sakura on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:09 am 
Fugitive Dust

ian5555 wrote:
/sigh

You still don't get it.

I probably do but the kid in me that saw and loved the show don't want it to end. :D

Just imagine a little boy yelling NO, stomping his feet and then falling to the ground crying. That's the kid in me not wanting to leave JLU.

Great list An-Gel! Although if they released a Miss Martian figure before YJ that is sad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:21 am 
Mint on Card

I would be all over a JLU subscription. This is a good idea Superfriend. It's funny because a survey was taken on the Matty forum asking if we would buy 10.00 figures right?

I guess just offering the figures they've shown already along with the unannounced figures like Firefly or Dr. Destiny would be a way to complete a year long subscription right?

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:55 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Velocity wrote:
ian5555 wrote:
/sigh

You still don't get it.

I probably do but the kid in me that saw and loved the show don't want it to end. :D

Just imagine a little boy yelling NO, stomping his feet and then falling to the ground crying. That's the kid in me not wanting to leave JLU.

Great list An-Gel! Although if they released a Miss Martian figure before YJ that is sad.

I don't want it to end either but I'm just stating the facts. Once you get to a certain point in any line that you run out of your A and B list characters there just isn't a whole lot of demand for the same characters. Like I said most everyone likes Batman or Superman but how many people are a Jay Garrick fan for example? Not many in comparison and Mattel knows this. They make more $$ selling Batman and Superman then they do any other character so the plan as any toy company is to reboot to get those characters out there again. It make perfect sense. Hasbro does it with Transformers and Gi Joe once they have exhausted their many version of Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Megatron or Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow and this is what Mattel wants to do.

It gets to a point where what fans wants are very specific and different so you end up with alot of fans but as far as specific figures go probably not a whole lot of demand for one specific figure. My want list would look very different from Angel's list just as an example. Not really so at the start of either line. Everyone wants Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, GL, Aquaman, Hawkgirl and that is why neither line would do well as a sub most likley. Too many people like myself will pick and choose and if it comes to the line dieing or I have to pay for figures site unseen that I might not want then the line can die. I will not pay for figures I do not want just in hopes they make figures that I do.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:59 am 
Brand Manager

Quote:
I don't want it to end either but I'm just stating the facts. Once you get to a certain point in any line that you run out of your A and B list characters there just isn't a whole lot of demand for the same characters. Like I said most everyone likes Batman or Superman but how many people are a Jay Garrick fan for example?

The beauty of JLU is that they come in 3-packs, and a lot of A-listers wore different costumes (and variations of their costumes) through out the series. And because of this, you can have the best of both worlds, i.e. a 3-pack with 3 different characters of which one of them is still an A-lister.

Here's an example: Sgt. Rock, Spy Smasher and Savage Time Batman

Or... Return of the Joker deco Joker, Derek Powers/Blight, and Inque.

All easy to make, and all in a 3-pack that I would consider having equal shares of "A", "B" and "C" characters. One more for the road?

How about Brave New World Superman, Jax-Ur and Mala.
    Or Legacy Superman, Stompa and Mad Harriet.

Man, I could go on, and on, and on. But that's the problem right there; us "fans" always saw more potential in the line and better mixes than Mattel did. So instead of getting Static, Ra's Al Ghul and Toy Man; we got Black Vulcan, Samurai and Apache Chief.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:27 pm 
Knows his stuff

ian5555 wrote:
MOTU classics started on Matty but quickly changed to a sub after it had massive sellouts. They had a huge selection of popular characters to work with and still do. JLU and DC Universe have both basically run out of A listers even B lister characters really so the figures they pump out now are wanted by alot less people. Everyone pretty much will want a Batman, Superman or even Wonder Woman for a collection but how many people really want Starboy or Metron? In comparison not that many I'd bet.

I'm not a MOTUC collector nor do I really follow the line, but I did watch He-Man as a kid. With the exception of Ram-Man, what other A-listers, or even B-listers, do they have left?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 pm 
shirtless hugger

I would love a JLU Club and subscription. However, given that DCUC has a broader collector base and it is having trouble getting enough sales to start the club, I doubt a JLU one would get past 10%.

Sad face.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:54 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

If only someone had mapped out a way they could keep it going for several years. With repaints included that actually made new characters so they could save on some tooling. And laid it out chronologically so they had a road map of some sort....

If only...

http://dchallofjustice.com/news/?p=6493

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:01 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

jamiwa3 wrote:
ian5555 wrote:
MOTU classics started on Matty but quickly changed to a sub after it had massive sellouts. They had a huge selection of popular characters to work with and still do. JLU and DC Universe have both basically run out of A listers even B lister characters really so the figures they pump out now are wanted by alot less people. Everyone pretty much will want a Batman, Superman or even Wonder Woman for a collection but how many people really want Starboy or Metron? In comparison not that many I'd bet.

I'm not a MOTUC collector nor do I really follow the line, but I did watch He-Man as a kid. With the exception of Ram-Man, what other A-listers, or even B-listers, do they have left?

http://pages.suddenlink.net/soundwavemp ... klist.html

2012 has alot of the ones from the original series but there are still quite a few left to do. Those are really the only ones I collect so I have no interest in a sub.

Mekaneck, Jitsu, Ram Man, Spikor, Stinkor, Modulok, Mantenna, Extendar, Rio-blast, Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Rattlor, Tung Lashor, Clamp Champ, Rotar, Ninjor, Mosquitor, and Squeeze are some of the more well known from the 80's line I guess.

I personally think MOTU Classic will hit a wall by the end of 2013 unless they start cutting back on the original line of figures but that is what most people want.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:10 pm 
Santos L. Halper

I would love it, would sign up in a minute, but it ain't ever gonna happen. The numbers just aren't there. Its sad, 'cause i really would have like these announced figures that have been canceled (Valdal Savage, Mongul, Toyman, etc.). :(

Last edited by Krypton1976 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:11 pm 
5th Horseman

red Ricky wrote:
I've posted on numerous occasions that JLU should've had a sub all along. For this year alone, Mattel has scheduled five 3-packs, an oversized figure and a 7-pack. That's akin to the Ghostbuster's bi-monthly subscription. Only in our scenario, STRIPE would've been the Sub-exclusive. You know... what Metron in a Mobius Chair is to the DCUC Sub.

On the plus side, I like the current system of being able to buy two 3-packs at once (and save on shipping), instead of buying one every other month and paying for shipping every other month. So there is a silver lining.

Very interesting points. There are a subscription's worth of figures, and it is nice that they can be bought and some shipping can be combined. About 33% of the costs of a subscription are shipping, which is why I think it's a horrible way to buy figures. Mattel likes it because subscribers commit to buying everything no matter what. That goes along nicely with Ian's point. You're not getting A-listers, and you might not even want a bunch of these characters, but with a subscription you're committed to buying them.

My feeling about JLU is that for $3.33-5 a figure as they were in the old days, I would buy pretty much each and every figure with excitement! If $10 plus shipping was the Mattycollector price, I don't know if I really care about all of those villians so obscure that even I can't name them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:59 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Genius.

I am a JLU fan and collector. Only JLU. When Mattel decides to mothball JLU permanently, my money will not go towards Young Justice, a DC Classics sub, the New 52 Reboot DC Classics tripe, or anything else for that matter.

Likewise, when Mattel wants to make more JLU past the announced 2011 stuff, then my money will go towards that. J-L-U needs a S-U-B!

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:51 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I'd really love for a Timm-style line to continue. There is just so much more they could do with it. I'd get at least one JLU subscription if it was ever offered.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:53 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Me two!

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:13 am 
Kool Moe Dee

We already know what the most of the first year would be, but two slots would have to be filled by new characters plus
a bonus figure. My votes go to Deathstroke, Super Friends Riddler and Granny Goodness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next