Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Could a relaunched Masters of the Universe 4" line work?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:41 pm 
5th Horseman

Now seeing we have a Thundercats return in 3 different scales (4", 6" and Classic 8"), do you think the Masters of the Universe could accomplish something like this, or do you think Masters of the Universe would not sell well if they did it like this, and I mean at retail - obviously it would mean a continuation or reboot of the Masters of the Universe Cartoon (and if they did it which one would you like them to continue classic or 200x, or hell do what Thundercats has and start from scratch throwing out what doesn't work - I am all for He-Man being a Barbarian and Finding the Sorceress who gives him the Sword of Eternia, and not being Prince Adam).

Post subject: Re: Thoughts?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:31 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

I think with MOTU a 4" line would be fun, but I think it would be short lived. It would quirk nostalgia in a lot of people, but I think people would gravitate towards the classics still. This would all change if there were a cartoon to back it up.

Keep in mind, the one thing that works against some properties.... Look at DC... They have DCUC, JLU, YJ, ect. And a great deal of those lines are struggling, and it's because they are competing against themselves. Most people want to collect one scale for a line, and stick with it, not bounce all over.

For T cats, I'm sticking with the Classics, I'm undecided about dipping into the 4" line. Prob not going to do it. With thundercats though, I think they should have made the new line and classics both the same size so you could mix. Classics is in its own scale, I'd get more of the new stuff if it was in the same scale...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:14 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

As interesting as the barbarian He-Man... I don't think I could watch Conan-Man, something about Prince Adam and Cringer would be missing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:10 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I've actually been looking at the he man figures for a couple of days now and I think a 4" line could do well, I know I would buy them anyway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:43 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

They could if Mattel let someone else make them..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:26 am 
5th Horseman

Well said Stew, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:36 am 
5th Horseman

Van Statten wrote:
As interesting as the barbarian He-Man... I don't think I could watch Conan-Man, something about Prince Adam and Cringer would be missing.

Which would make me really happy, sorry but I have never liked the lame idea of Prince Adam and Cringer, I preferred the original idea behind He-Man where he was this kick ass Barbarian guy, one of the reasons I love Thundercats and Lion'o he has this sword and he wields it but he doesn't transform into super Lion'o and hide who he is - it works great in a super hero style setting, from what I have seen of He-Man he isn't a super hero, he's a Barbarian with a Magic Sword in a Techno/Feudal world - now don't get me wrong but I love the idea of He-man and the Masters of the Universe, just don't like some of the lameness, King Grayskull was kick ass and he was fully Barbarian he did'nt revert back to some weed, nor did He-ro or Vikor, not sure about Wun-dar. To be honest you drop Prince Adam and Cringer and the Storys would be the same, and keep He-Man and Battlecat.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:41 am 

You must really dig the live action movie then! :lol: Don't get me wrong, I made my parents take me so I was first in line too! Just, I like my "By the Power of Greyskull..." and all that hubbub. I just wouldn't dump any money into an animated version of that. But I think that formula (the barbarian) works wonders in live action! Just like the motion picture.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:17 am 
5th Horseman

I partly like the Live Action Movie, until they get to Earth then it looses it for me, He-man is supposed to be on Eternia not Earth, and especially not in 1980's setting Earth or was it 90's can never remember.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:30 am 

GreenArrow wrote:
I partly like the Live Action Movie, until they get to Earth then it looses it for me, He-man is supposed to be on Eternia not Earth, and especially not in 1980's setting Earth or was it 90's can never remember.

It was about 87-88... before Tom Paris was on Voyager! :lol: I liked the concept of going to Earth, espeically in an early draft of the script, Man-at-Arms finds a spacecraft on Eternia with USAF markings on it which was meant to belong to He-Man's mother. Eventually I believe all the King and Queen and television elements were dropped. As a kid I hated Gwildore in place of Orko but in my later years I can appreciate the Gnome Tinkerer more so then when I was younger. But really Frank Langella makes that movie as Skeletor!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:43 am 
5th Horseman

I can agree with you on that Langella was a great Skeletor.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:12 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I would love a separate line from the Masters of the Universe Classics...because I can't afford them. A new retail opportunity sounds exciting too, it's just I don't know if I'd be so into a new design of the characters. The 200X version has grown on me though.

I wish they'd just put out the 4H's Mini Masters in two packs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:52 am 
3 3/4"

jzachery wrote:
I think with MOTU a 4" line would be fun, but I think it would be short lived. It would quirk nostalgia in a lot of people, but I think people would gravitate towards the classics still. This would all change if there were a cartoon to back it up.

Keep in mind, the one thing that works against some properties.... Look at DC... They have DCUC, JLU, YJ, ect. And a great deal of those lines are struggling, and it's because they are competing against themselves. Most people want to collect one scale for a line, and stick with it, not bounce all over.

I have to agree. In a 4 inch line I know I would grab Skeletor and He-Man and some of my old time faves (ie trap jaw, Ram Man ect) but I wouldn't go whole hearted into the line. That's what I am doing with the Thundercats line already (although Grune did grow on me quickly when I learned he was voice by Clancy Brown LOL, now I am looking for him as well).

But I also agree with the jumping around scales for most people, there are characters I will do that for but not whole lines, I can't speak for anyone else but I think this idea has merit as I notice collections that are character focused as well.

Lastly, Matty's history with the scale is pretty bad, the original DCIH's were less than stellar, although they did a great job with some of the later figures (but it was too late at that point). THe GL line is one step above happy meal toys but prices as if it were a masterpiece line (Hasbro should have taught them this lesson already with the animated Wolverine and X-Men line, but I guess they weren't paying attention), However the Voltron pilots look ok in pics, I will have to have thme in hand to be certain though (If I do grab htem). Still overall they offerings from Matty with that scale have not done well at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:56 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

stewbacca wrote:
They could if Mattel let someone else make them..

unfortunately...I agree. I don't like what I've seen from Mattel in that scale...

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject: Re: Could a relaunched Masters of the Universe 4" line work?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:06 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

If they would release the Mini-Masters that were shown "to gauge interest", I would buy them whole heartedly.

If they were to announce and market a 4" scale line of action figures, I wouldn't bother.

and yeah, GreenArrow, I gotta disagree with you. If you remove Prince Adam and Cringer from the Mythos, it isn't He-Man. It'd just be some fancy pants barbarian cartoon.

Couldn't have said it better myself.