Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ghostbusters Club Ecto-1 Subscription Canceled by Mattel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:19 pm 
shirtless hugger

Awesome. But the line isn't canned, so I guess we win, right?

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/mat ... tersUpdate

Quote:
Update on Ghostbusters™ Subscription & 2012 News

September 19, 2011

Ghostbusters™ Fans,

You know how much love the Matty team has for Ghostbusters, and although we were ready to support a subscription in 2012, sales were lower than we expected. We regret to announce that we have to cancel the 2012 Club Ecto-1 subscription. All 2012 orders will be promptly refunded. If you purchased a 2012 subscription, you should see the refund in your account within 5-7 business days of your refund being processed, depending on your bank. All 2011 subscriptions will continue to ship as scheduled.

Like you, we're disappointed that the subscription will be going away for 2012, but to show our appreciation for you fans who stepped up and bought a 2012 subscription, we're working on a "thank you" just for you. Stay tuned as we'll have something special coming for you in appreciation for your support.

Please know that the Ghostbusters line isn't over! To do right by all Ghostbusters fans, we're still moving forward with the previously announced figures for 2012 (Ready to Believe You Peter with Taxi Cab Ghost, The Rookie, Dana as Zuul) and a fourth figure in the fall, to be announced. These figures will be available at our regular monthly sales. Like our other lines, costs have risen since the brand was launched and the price of the 6" figures will increase to $22 each.

Now on to brighter news. In celebration of the boo bustin' boys' favorite time of the year, we're going to re-release some of your favorite figures during a special Ghostbusters Halloween sale. The sale will run from 10/17 through 10/31, and it's the perfect time to fill in any missing characters in your collection and stock up on favorites. But wait… yes, there's more! Not only will we have a great selection of characters, the October 17 sale will also bring the long-awaited Ghost Trap prop, plus the return of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!

Again, on behalf of the team, thanks for being a loyal fan. Long live the Ghostbusters!

—Matty

Post subject: Re: Ghostbusters Club Ecto-1 Subscription Canceled by Mattel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:59 pm 
serves the Otter

Not sure how I feel about this. I'm glad that we're at least getting the figures that were already announced, but I wonder if they will be the last figures we ever get in this line. We still need Gozer and the demon dog. It would be pretty sad if we get Vigo but never get Gozer. :(

Last edited by shabbyblue on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:07 pm 
5" Scale

Sucks for the GB fans :(

I really doubt we will get a DC sub next year, heck Im even worried about what will happen to my beloved MOTUC sub.

I think this economy is just too bad, I have a feeling the "collector" market is going down big time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:11 pm 
Resin

Another wonderfully mismanaged line by Mattel that drove away fans and then thanked the remaining, loyal few by not even granting them combined shipping with their other subs. I'm really not happy about how this entire thing has been treated. Meanwhile, they never said anything about the line being in trouble, but they bent over backwards for the DC sub. I know these are just toys but just from a business perspective of management and communication, this is an infuriating failure. If they're making all of the announced figures anyway, they should have just honored the subs, rode the year out and charged cherry-pickers more. I may not buy these now at all because of this. Let's see how few they can sell.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:47 pm 
serves the Otter

Wasn't the SDCC Stay Puft exclusive a fast sellout both at the convention and online? I was surprised by that, given it's high price, so that makes it confusing as to why they didn't meet their subscription quota due to "low demand". As mentioned above, there was no indication that this subscription was in trouble. It really annoys me that they suddenly pulled this sub away from us when we thought it was a sure-thing. Looks like the beginning of the end for another Mattel toy line. :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:01 pm 
5" Scale

shabbyblue wrote:
Wasn't the SDCC Stay Puft exclusive a fast sellout both at the convention and online? I was surprised by that, given it's high price, so that makes it confusing as to why they didn't meet their subscription quota due to "low demand". As mentioned above, there was no indication that this subscription was in trouble. It really annoys me that they suddenly pulled this sub away from us when we thought it was a sure-thing. Looks like the beginning of the end for another Mattel toy line. :(

well Stuff puft makes sense for a fast sell out, the problem is they thought people would just keep buying the same 4 guys over and over and over. I was surprised it lasted this long

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:26 pm 
categorically opposed

fball13z wrote:
I was surprised it lasted this long

So are most people.

Now everyone who questioned how it was possible for Ghostbusters to have enough fans to support a sub while the DC properties didn't can have some closure. I never really paid attention - did the Ghostbusters products ever sell out quickly enough that a sub was necessary?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:33 pm 
5" Scale

MoMoney wrote:
fball13z wrote:
I was surprised it lasted this long

So are most people.

Now everyone who questioned how it was possible for Ghostbusters to have enough fans to support a sub while the DC properties didn't can have some closure. I never really paid attention - did the Ghostbusters products ever sell out quickly enough that a sub was necessary?

they seem to sell better than the JLU figures did lol, that should say a lot. j/k

but really I always wondered why they kept it going, they seemed to stick around forever on matty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:32 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

fball13z wrote:
but really I always wondered why they kept it going, they seemed to stick around forever on matty

Wait until the Back to the Future Line-- that will make Ghostbusters look like Hotcakes... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:39 pm 
We're going streaking!

Disappointing? Yes. Surprising? Not really.

I agree with those that say the excessive repaints hurt the line. No Gozer. No Terror Dogs. Too few ghosts. Lack of extra accessories. All equals low Ecto-1 subscriptions.

I have enjoyed the line and I am looking forward to what is still coming in 2012. But like most things Mattel, the line could have been handled better.

BUT... we did get Louis. We did get Peck. We are getting Dana and Vigo. We go the containment unit (an excellent piece!).

My biggest disappointments, if we do not get them (which, depending on what the 'Thank You' and the Fall 2012 figure is, we probably won't see more than one of these), will be no Zuul, no Terror Dogs, no GB I Janine (w/Desk!), no plain clothes Winston (did that ever have a shot?) and no Tony Tony Scoleri (could that be the 'Thank You?'). Outside of those and more ghosts, I think the line would have been complete for me (I would have added Janosz, but he wasn't really necessary for me). Oh, and an in-scale Ecto-1 would have been nice, but that was pipe dream!

What I won't mind not getting... more Marshmallow Mess figures (that's an easy 'Thank You,' isn't it?). The completest that lives inside of me will be okay with not completing that grouping.

I guess I will try and grab an extra Slime-Blower Winston so I can swap his head onto the GB II Set Winston's body.

Last edited by TRDouble on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:46 pm 
We're going streaking!

Might I add that if it wasn't for the fact that you have to have all five Lions to complete Voltron (and all that went into the development of the figures), we might not be seeing that subscription go through either. Along with the cancellation of the Club Ecto-1, I think the bundling of the Voltron Lions & Pilots as a set for non-subscribers shows how badly the 2011 subs did across the board.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:46 pm 
serves the Otter

stewbacca wrote:
fball13z wrote:

Wait until the Back to the Future Line-- that will make Ghostbusters look like Hotcakes... :wink:

What line? I doubt there ever will be an action figure line for Back to the Future. Mattel has been sitting on that license for...what, almost 2 years now? And it looks like the most they're ever going to do with it is produce Delorean Hot Wheels cars. Diamond Select at least did a few creative things with BTTF such as the prop replicas and 1:18 scale Deloreans, but Mattel apparently is in no big hurry to produce toys.

Meanwhile, rabid BTTF fans are spending thousands of dollars on Nike shoes made to look like the ones Marty wore in 2015. So I'm pretty sure a decent quality 4" or 6" line would sell well enough to the BTTF fanbase out there that's been eagerly wanting figures for years now. What a waste of a good license. :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:22 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Wow. I f***in hate mattel right now. So, I assume we wont be seeing plain clothes Winston, Dana Barret or Louis Tulley, probably no Janine at all, no Gozer or Terror Dogs, and I'm assuming no weapons or ghost packs, and no ecto-plazm or Ecto-1. Probably the "Than[f**]k you" figure is Tony Scolari. Why weren't we notified that club ecto-1 was in danger like the goddam dcuc sub? That's all anybody talked about for 2 whole months! It was on CNN or something. How was the contingiency of the Ecto-1 sub's existance not even F***ING MENTIONED!? I would've bought 2 of them, even though I have NO money to be wasting on toys right now, if I'd known that the coolest thing Mattel's ever done was about to go away. This is epic bullshit. Where the f*** is Rhobyn DeJesus right now?! Still dodging answers, I see. Clearly since there were so many Stay Pufts left over there's an obvious explanation as to why it took 3 weeks to ship the goddam things out. They were all buried under more Stay Puft figures! She's probably going to be promoted to head of some other doomed-due-to-mishandling line like back to the future or sh***y voltron.

Hey, Rhobyn DeJesus, how about a couple answers on this one, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:46 pm 
serves the Otter

I'm surprised nobody else noticed or commented on this yet...

Mattel is apparently going to charge ALL of us the "cherry picker" price for the remaining Ghostbusters figures they plan to release, similar to what they're doing with the DCUC subscription for those who chose not to purchase the DCUC sub.

HOWEVER... even those of who were loyal enough to buy into the Ghostbusters subscription are now going to have to pay an extra couple bucks per figure like everyone else. As the original subscription page indicates, we would have been paying $20 per figure in the subscription: http://www.mattycollector.com/store/mat ... .233873500

But the press release above states they're going to charge $22 per figure now, with the excuse of "rising costs". Yeah right. It's more about making up for their losses due to lower demand and fewer subscription purchases.

That's a real nice "thank you" to the loyal collectors, milking us for a few more dollars while you still can. They should have just honored the subscriptions they already got, as they're doing with DCUC, and make everyone else pay the cherry picker price. :roll:

Last edited by shabbyblue on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

True enough, and, price gouging aside, you know what really pisses me off about this? The "sign up bonus" is different now. Maybe the "thank you" item is something I would've paid the sub fee for immediately. The rookie was of no interest to me at all, but now that figure is wasting a spot in the dwindling line-up and something else is the sign-up incentive (again, probably the other Scolari, and I could care less about that, actually, but if it's a weapons pack or a can of ecto-plazm, I'm gonna freak the f*** out on the entire city of ontario). That blows.

Honestly, with Louis Clortho and Zuul Barrett, i can live with not getting a plain clothes Dana or a tracksuit Tulley. Obviously, I'd love to have them, but I can get by without them. I'm TOTALLY pissed we probably wont see a plain clothes Winston, however. We get a nameless rookie from a non-movie related product! Woot. I'm not even that crushed we may not get a Janine, especially since it looked like they couldnt make Janine from the first film, but I am EXTREMELY disappointed that we probably won't be getting Gozer. And I can even choke down the bitter pill of not getting [what could only be] an AMAZING in-scale Ecto-1 with the four guys with detachable proton packs, but seriously, we're not gonna get the Terror Dogs!? WTF!?

Hopefully, the weapons pack isnt entirely off the table yet, cause all that stuff is already sculpted. That would be an awesome way to go out, since the whole "reasoning" before as to why there hadn't yet BEEN a weapons pack was cause they were trying to use the weapons pack-ins as an incentive to buy the figures you might not want. I'd say an ecto containment unit, camera, goggles, pke meters, sniffer, a trap,and 4 proton streams would be about the coolest weapons pack you could release. And again, like I said, same reasoning behind making the ghosts pack-ins instead of individually carded figures, re-cast them in different colored transluscent plastics and put em all in a ghost pack. Awesome. Especially if both of em came with little cans of Ecto-Plazm.

Last edited by shishalzafrazz on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.