Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: AFi First Look - JLU 7-pack
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:08 am 
Kool Moe Dee

When I walked up to him I introduced myself as one of the loud but not numerous guys on the internet who bug you about JLU all the time. I asked him if Deathstroke was ever a possibility and he flat out told me that he was never on any lists, that's when he mentioned Luthoriac and The General, so a list might be as far as they made it. Of the unreleased, Mongul was the one he was most disappointed didn't make it out which is when I told him that Mongul is supposed to be yellow, TG was surprised by that and said that pink was the color provided to them. The only mention of the unreleased getting out would be in 3 packs that were $40-$50 and he asked if I would pay that. I said I would if it were 3 new figures in a pack but not the way they were set up originally, he didn't respond to that verbally, he just kind of nodded. That's pretty much all the JLU stuff I squeezed out of him, he was headed for lunch but took a few minutes to talk.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:51 am 
Wonderdog

texgnome1 wrote:
Ed, normally I'd agree with you. While I haven't been ToyGuru's biggest fan because of some of his wording choices, I do give the guy credit for what he accomplished with the line. But this is the first I've heard of The General and Luthoriac actually having been on the drawing board. I don't even remember them being mentioned on the video AFI posted. Several others were, but not them. *sniff*

I don't want to be misunderstood here. I wasn't trying to bash the guy, especially in my original comment. I really would've thought twice were I in his shoes because that's just 2 more figures for people to get bent out of shape about not getting. Overall, I think TG did a great thing with this line. There's no doubt in my mind that he was the one pushing the suits at Mattel to keep it going. I'm totally over any feelings of frustration I ever had with him. Now that I'm not frantically hunting for figures all the time, I can just sit back and enjoy my collection.

As far as whether he always told the truth, I'm not calling him a liar either. But he didn't always give completely accurate information either, for whatever reason (and I'm sure the reasons were many and varied).

Like I said, I was just surprised he put it out there like that because it seems like the official Mattel policy is usually to play things pretty close to the vest.

But then again, I never met him in person, either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:20 pm 
Brand Manager

vancleef9000 wrote:
I asked him if Deathstroke was ever a possibility and he flat out told me that he was never on any lists.

That's too bad. Thanks to Atom Smasher's noggin, he is one of those characters that they could've made with existing body parts.

vancleef9000 wrote:
The only mention of the unreleased getting out would be in 3 packs that were $40-$50 and he asked if I would pay that. I said I would if it were 3 new figures in a pack but not the way they were set up originally, he didn't respond to that verbally, he just kind of nodded.

Good work Vancleef! Your four questions got more information out, than five months worth of Ask Matty! So thanks again!

And as far as the $40 dollar 3-packs go... it is kinda weird, because I've been buying multiples of the last releases. So in a sense, I've already been paying $40. Which makes me wonder if raising the price would do any good. In my case, I would go from buying two to just one (and the net sum effect would be zero).

Hopefully they have decided to sell the Toyman/Vandal Savage/Static 3-packs at the Conventions next year; while incorporating Mongul, Guy Gardner and Blue Beetle into the Animated Green Lantern Line. This would only leave Dr. Destiny, Firefly, Volcana and Fire unaccounted for.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:26 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Thanks for that VanCleef. Glad he could take a few minutes, as I'm sure he could easily have brushed it off now that the line is over. Especially as busy as he probably is at those things.

I'm just sad that they were on Mattel's master list and never gotten to. I went back through the interview, and oh the possibilities.

Brainithor / Luthoriac
The General
Granny Goodness
Wild West versions of John Stewart, Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince
Jonah Hex
Batlash
Circe
Agent Faraday
Professor Hamilton

All mentioned by ToyGuru at one point or another. Ah well...

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:42 pm 
AFA Graded

I would have loved to have those. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:36 am 
Wonderdog

He really said Jonah Hex? Whoof, that one hurts. :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:46 am 

He mentioned Jonah, Batlash, and Western versions of John, Bruce and Diana on the post-mortem interview he did in February. That they wanted to get to them, but they would require so much new tooling they couldn't justify them in place of some of the others (Waller, Toyman, STRIPE etc). While I wanted him, I can't argue with any of the others they put in front of him.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:06 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

Jonah Hex would be great for sure... But the western versions of Bruce, Diana, etc... I don't know if the line would survive those poor sales. They're very lackluster. At this point in the line (post mortem?) IF anything else is going to be released, and the releasing of further figures constantly depends upon the sales of the latest release, these are really lackluster... I get everything and even I wouldn't buy these.
We don't need anymore hawk people, amazos, justice lords, alternate versions that don't make sense (Disco Brainiac and Hooker Canary I'm looking at you!)
Transluscent fire, Hereafter Superman... These make sense, even Hereafer Superman is pushing it for me, but the western versions of characters are unacceptable. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:13 am 
Wonderdog

red Ricky wrote:
vancleef9000 wrote:
I asked him if Deathstroke was ever a possibility and he flat out told me that he was never on any lists.

That's too bad. Thanks to Atom Smasher's noggin, he is one of those characters that they could've made with existing body parts.

*Adds to customizing to-do list*
Thanks, Ricky! One more thing I gotta do!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:14 am 

While I wouldn't mind them, I do agree that I'd rather have new characters. It's just like the civilian versions of the big 7. Again, I'd love to have them but not if doing them means they can't offer Angle Man or Killer Frost (etc).

As far as Hereafter Superman, I'm glad we got him, but I'd much rather have Jonah Hex. That Superman required a LOT of new tooling. To the point that Stew can't even cast him properly. And it feels incomplete to have the Hereafter Superman and NOT have the Savage Time Batman to go with him. :(

Having said that, the good news is: IN ELEVEN DAYS WE GET TO OWN THE REST OF THE CARD-CARRYING LEAGUE MEMBERS! WOO HOO!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:21 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
Because I can't remember any time he commented on what was in the works without making a more 'official' announcement of it. And honestly, if I was him, I wouldn't even want to tell people about the things that were planned but now won't be coming. Not much good can really come out of it.

See, I only think it's a bad move if we react badly to this news :) So let's just not do that, right?

I'm glad Toyguru spoke candidly with a fan about what was being considered. And yes, it's sad that we all aren't getting EVERYTHING we want, but isn't it nice to know they were at least considering a Luthoriac? Especially since we spent years getting bizarre, pointless repaints of Green Lantern? I think it's great. And for the record, I prefer to the crazy tentacle version over the eye-sore Gold version. Really...that design looked pretty lame on-screen.

That's the amazing this about the JL/JLU line. It really wasn't doing well when it started, and then in the end - whammo! Character selection! Great sculpts! Fan requests! Ahhh...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:36 am 
Brand Manager

jzachery wrote:
At this point in the line (post mortem?) IF anything else is going to be released, and the releasing of further figures constantly depends upon the sales of the latest release, these are really lackluster... I get everything and even I wouldn't buy these.

I agree. The focus should be on the most important and most recognizable characters. Characters that were missed or put off by Mattel, but still have their own draw.

Agent Faraday is nice. But I believe there are more recognizable characters out there. Characters that could help boost sales. Like Mxyzptlk, Killer Croc, Poison Ivy and even Owlman and/or Power Girl. It's like this... I like Evil Star, but I can't help thinking that my collection would've been better off (and more complete) if Trickster had gotten the nod first. So my approach would be to get to the recurring villains. Villains that were somehow missed by Mattel, but had more exposure than the "one-offs". Felix Faust before the Tattooed Man, if you catch my drift.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:10 am 
Collector Inspector

Top Five Villains (not counting the announced/unreleased figs) Wish List

1. Felix Faust
2. Trickster
3. Circe
4. The General
5. Royal Flush Gang Box set!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:32 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

tuning4k wrote:
Top Five Villains (not counting the announced/unreleased figs) Wish List

1. Felix Faust
2. Trickster
3. Circe
4. The General
5. Royal Flush Gang Box set!

oh boy... now you've done it.... must fight urge to make wish list

:D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:56 am 
Wonderdog

red Ricky wrote:
Characters that could help boost sales. Like Mxyzptlk, Killer Croc, Poison Ivy and even Owlman

This always perplexed me. That they started off two separate JLU analogue teams (Justice Guild & Crime Syndicate), and skipped the Batman analogues in both of them. It just seemed to go against the logic they ordinarily worked by.

DisneyBoy wrote:
See, I only think it's a bad move if we react badly to this news :) So let's just not do that, right?

I have to admit, I'm very impressed by the restraint being shown.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next