Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU Firefly sells for $1,025.00 on eBay
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:48 am 
Aspires to be #1

Bunger43 wrote:
Cookie_TXPSY wrote:

Sorry to change the subject again. Your argument of "go buy/find a box, gas costs, time costs...etc." doesn't hold water. You can order boxes and envelopes from USPS for free that will come to your door in 7-10 days. They come in bundles of 10-25. Most of the different styles you can order anywhere from 200-500 at a time. You can print out your labels from home and the mailman will come to your house and pick it up. So there isn't any gas cost and time to do this is greatly reduced.

Didn't realize that. Although I can't really do that stuff at the office I work at, and I'm not sure my mailman will show up prior to 6:30 or after 7. Do they do pickups on the weekends? No way I'm leaving boxes out on my porch where I live.

But...if how I handle it is I do go find boxes, and spend gas...then yes, it absolutely holds water Whether I choose to utilize USPS services is irrelevent(but it is on me), but it doesn't negate the costs that I incur if I don't use them, and those costs being passed onto the buyer are justified. As I do when I bid on something, if I think the sellers costs are too much, I move on. I wouldn't expect a buyer to look at me any different.

On top of, if I go out specifically looking for an item to sell (HATE ON SCALPER HATERS) either for a board member at cost or someone else, that's time and costs that I incur. Simple as that.

This service is very unreliable in my experience. I've never ordered the boxes from them but I used to print out the labels and have them do door pickup and about 50% of the time they were too lazy to get out of the mail truck and walk to the door to pick up my package which was sitting out in plain view. In fact, one time I had to schedule the pickup 3 times because the first two times they left it on the porch. The third time I left a note for them to stop being lazy and to come pick up my package at the door and they finally did.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:59 am 
declined to be a vampire

At the end of the day, most of my experience with the USPS (as far as people go) has sucked. When I was in a small town it was awesome, but I'm not anymore.

And again, at the end of the day, if I want to charge 30 bucks shipping on a product I'm selling, I have ever right to do so. No one has to buy my product if they think that's outrageous.

Now, do I do that? Absolutely not. If I'm selling something on ebay, I just look at similar items and see what a normal shipping cost looks like and goes with it.

If I'm shipping something here, I use info from when I've shipped before. I would hope that everyone here I've traded/swapped with has been pleased and doesn't think I've ripped them off.

j1h15233 wrote:
This service is very unreliable in my experience. I've never ordered the boxes from them but I used to print out the labels and have them do door pickup and about 50% of the time they were too lazy to get out of the mail truck and walk to the door to pick up my package which was sitting out in plain view. In fact, one time I had to schedule the pickup 3 times because the first two times they left it on the porch. The third time I left a note for them to stop being lazy and to come pick up my package at the door and they finally did.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:38 am 
Collector Inspector

I've traded with Bunger many many times and I can say the guy is a super good trader. At this point, We always make sure that we charge exact shipping amounts. I know he's refunded me and stuff. And he we probably eat some expenses when it's a direct trade, but when it's a figure he wants and something I want, who cares?

I agree that way of working is almost impossible on ebay. Here on Afi, I have good enough relationships with traders that I can get the cost down as low as possible. That includes shipping loose if need be, or refunding money, and avoiding ebay and paypal fees by working directly with them instead of having ebay and paypal in the middle. I've screwed up on ebay plenty of times by not charging enough for the shipping.

Those Priority Mail boxes are free but Priority Mail certainly isn't always necessary. It's fine if it's something valuable or heavy but normally if you can get your own box (dumpster diving?) First Class Mail is perfectly adequate and it's usually just one extra day, maybe two.

On ebay, I might work in a couple extra bucks into the cost to cover the box (usually $1.30-$3.00 from Target or Kmart). That's just necessary. I'm not going to buy boxes in bulk unless I'm some Super Seller. No point in that. I agree my time is super valuable, I don't charge for it, but I don't go out of my way for trades anymore.

I do sell some of my unwanted toys international because I know some international buyers are willing to pay a lot because their stores don't carry the stuff. I just sold my Walmart Exclusive Dynamic Duo 2-pack and it almost went for 3 digits. But the shipping was a lot! almost $20 to South America. So you have to watch out for international shipping. But it would have been a little less if it was going to the UK or Canada, I was told. I've helped some international people here, I always ask "are you fine with the shipping?" first. If it's someone i've traded with before , I'll let them pay after I send it , which is a little scary but I haven't been screwed yet! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:19 am 
declined to be a vampire

Agreed, and thanks. I want to treat you guys the way I want to be treated. It's one reason I work with the same 3-4 of you so much. I can trust you.

funtime3 wrote:
I've traded with Bunger many many times and I can say the guy is a super good trader. At this point, We always make sure that we charge exact shipping amounts. I know he's refunded me and stuff. And he we probably eat some expenses when it's a direct trade, but when it's a figure he wants and something I want, who cares?

I agree that way of working is almost impossible on ebay. Here on Afi, I have good enough relationships with traders that I can get the cost down as low as possible. That includes shipping loose if need be, or refunding money, and avoiding ebay and paypal fees by working directly with them instead of having ebay and paypal in the middle. I've screwed up on ebay plenty of times by not charging enough for the shipping.

Those Priority Mail boxes are free but Priority Mail certainly isn't always necessary. It's fine if it's something valuable or heavy but normally if you can get your own box (dumpster diving?) First Class Mail is perfectly adequate and it's usually just one extra day, maybe two.

On ebay, I might work in a couple extra bucks into the cost to cover the box (usually $1.30-$3.00 from Target or Kmart). That's just necessary. I'm not going to buy boxes in bulk unless I'm some Super Seller. No point in that. I agree my time is super valuable, I don't charge for it, but I don't go out of my way for trades anymore.

I do sell some of my unwanted toys international because I know some international buyers are willing to pay a lot because their stores don't carry the stuff. I just sold my Walmart Exclusive Dynamic Duo 2-pack and it almost went for 3 digits. But the shipping was a lot! almost $20 to South America. So you have to watch out for international shipping. But it would have been a little less if it was going to the UK or Canada, I was told. I've helped some international people here, I always ask "are you fine with the shipping?" first. If it's someone i've traded with before , I'll let them pay after I send it , which is a little scary but I haven't been screwed yet! :)

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:29 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

ian5555 wrote:
The free USPS boxes are for the flat rate shipping which is usually more expensive then if you buy a box and do it all your self plus I can't add a few bucks to cover some of the fees. Screw that.

Not true- they are for all priority mail boxes on there site (including poster tubes and the 20 or 30 so other priority mail type boxes)- as well as envelopes, labels, delivery confirmation slips,

Ive never got the issue with ebay and shipping cost-- you weigh the item -- put the weight in the calculator- and the way you are going to ship-- there is even a spot to put a handling fee if you so choose.. I can see a little price hike-- where ebay now charges you fees on your shipping cost. (which despite their argument-does not stop people from charging low prices and then insane shipping costs-- it just hurts the honest seller).. But generally charging me additional cost just to buy your item is bad form.. And I tend to avoid those people-- or at least give them one star ratings for their shipping costs-- I especailly love guys who wont combine shipping-- If they wont- then I will demand that they ship each item seperately-- because your not going to make extra money off me-- if you are making me pay extra for shipping then you better give it to the US post office -- not your pocket...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:16 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Really? I thought the priority boxes they give away was for flat rate? Pretty cool if so but I do ship First Class alot as it is cheaper especially when shipping loose action figures. Not a bad option for sure though, thanks.

I don't see why anyone would complain about a seller putting their costs into an item. Actually, I take that back who am I kidding people complain about anything. But, any retail store would do that like Wal-mart, Target or other stores are going to put their shipping and handling costs into the price of an item. I don't view this as any different. Personally I think Ebay should automatically add a certain percentage so the buyer pays half the fees. The fact that the seller has to eat all the costs is ridiculous to me and people are being really cheap-asses imo to expect that. I certainly would not mind paying it although as a buyer I understand it is my goal to get the best and cheapest option.

For example the seller of this Firefly figure has to pay around $93.00 to Ebay for selling this item. That is BS if you ask me.

I'm really surprised that Ebay has kept such a monopoly on the online auction world. As much as they screw over the sellers you would think people would just say, forget this and try to find another outlet for their goods.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:20 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

ian5555 wrote:
I'm really surprised that Ebay has kept such a monopoly on the online auction world. As much as they screw over the sellers you would think people would just say, forget this and try to find another outlet for their goods.

I wonder about this all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:33 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

Ebay used to be great when it was pretty much an online garage sale, but they have intentionally moved away from that and tried to make it so it's not worth listing small or cheap items.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:44 pm 
Aspires to be #1

shishalzafrazz wrote:
ian5555 wrote:

I wonder about this all the time.

They're just really dug in. eBay has become a term like coke or Kleenex. There are other sites out there but they've made little to no traction.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:59 pm 
shirtless hugger

vancleef9000 wrote:
Ebay used to be great when it was pretty much an online garage sale, but they have intentionally moved away from that and tried to make it so it's not worth listing small or cheap items.

Well, I think that's great, maybe the scalpers will leave the figures on the shelves more often in the future. I certainly will never have sympathy for the scalpers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:17 am 
declined to be a vampire

They'll send you free boxes, right? What if you don't use them for shipping?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:22 am 
declined to be a vampire

At the end of the day, scalpers are a very small % result of what is being bought up.

I have no issue with someone who wants to make a buck. They have to spend their cash to buy a product and resell. It's not against the law, so why shouldn't they do what they can to better themselves? I've been fortunate to come across some items and I've done it. If I can buy an item, and make a quick double (or more) on it, why not? I'm sure my wife appreciates when I can sell something for more than I paid, and take her out to dinner or something (which I've done a few times with purchases).

The only issues I have is with the ones who do it through a "connection" and get stock before everyone else has a chance. Or they work at a place and take it before it ever goes out. That's where I have an issue with people re-selling "general public" items. If the general public never gets a shot at them, then yeah, kind of cheesy.

BCYa wrote:
Well, I think that's great, maybe the scalpers will leave the figures on the shelves more often in the future. I certainly will never have sympathy for the scalpers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:26 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Bunger43 wrote:

Well there not exactly free-- since as a a consumer of the postal service you eventually are paying for them (even if it is an additional $ .01 a stamp at a time).. But if you order over so many, really close in a row- the Postal service can deny them from you - at least delivered)--- they cant stop you from getting them at local Post offices--

THey are sturdy boxes-- I remember in college several kids building different types of furniture out of them-- at least tables and the like (although I do remember seeing at least one couch made out of them-- and now with the padded envelopes and the like available on their as well-- you might even be able to make an uncomfortable bed (WWII guys used to sleep on Corn Flake Boxes)-- so it just depends on how cheap you want to be,,, :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:36 am 
declined to be a vampire

I know it's terrible of me, but I was thinking of getting them for christmas, or for shipping to you guys when I mail stuff (I usually wrap all my stuff in the brown shipping paper).

stewbacca wrote:
Bunger43 wrote:

Well there not exactly free-- since as a a consumer of the postal service you eventually are paying for them (even if it is an additional $ .01 a stamp at a time).. But if you order over so many, really close in a row- the Postal service can deny them from you - at least delivered)--- they cant stop you from getting them at local Post offices--

THey are sturdy boxes-- I remember in college several kids building different types of furniture out of them-- at least tables and the like (although I do remember seeing at least one couch made out of them-- and now with the padded envelopes and the like available on their as well-- you might even be able to make an uncomfortable bed (WWII guys used to sleep on Corn Flake Boxes)-- so it just depends on how cheap you want to be,,, :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:38 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

ian5555 wrote:
For example the seller of this Firefly figure has to pay around $93.00 to Ebay for selling this item. That is BS if you ask me.

As much as we all complain about the 8.5%--(I will agree whole heartedly with them having no right to put that percentage on shipping).

Selling items with a real auction house or consignment shop is worse... they normally charge about 20% for their services to the seller.. Not to mention most local auction houses charge a buyers premium of 5% or more (which means you are paying for the right to buy an item), plus usually 2% to use your credit card and sales tax...

Amazon takes around 12-15% of all your sales depending on your standing.

So personally in the grand scheme of things- based upon the numbers of possible sellers ebay brings to the table they still cost me 50% less than using a normal auction house or other methods-- (and I despise using things like Craigslist- based on all the constant barrage of inquires)-- So what else are you going to use-- other than posting it on forums and then having other members complaining that your prices are too high or you are a scalper or doing a yard sale- where the goal is to get it even cheaper than you are selling it for..

As much as people thing ebay is gouging them on everything (and I would love for them to drop their rates)-- they are still the best value for you to sell with...Plus if you become a power seller-- you do get a 20% discount-- and their new 50 free auctions a month at any starting price-- has made a big difference in my listing costs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next