Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU Firefly sells for $1,025.00 on eBay
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

We're only a few years away from 3D printers hitting retail prices. When that happens and we're all happily printing these things out, buddy paying over a thousand bucks for them is going to feel awful foolish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:19 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Hilarious. I sold my entire JLU collection of over 200 figures for a little over 1/3 of what Firefly went for. In essence, a little over $1 per figure. And I don't regret it one iota.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:55 am 
Aspires to be #1

Luthor wrote:
We're only a few years away from 3D printers hitting retail prices. When that happens and we're all happily printing these things out, buddy paying over a thousand bucks for them is going to feel awful foolish.

And by a few you mean 10-15 years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:32 am 
Wonderdog

All I can say is, it must be nice. I can hardly imagine how much money I would have to have in order to be able to drop that kind of dough on one toy. (And if I DID have it, probably I'd have spent it already, on a Holiday Hal MOC because I'm more nuts for GL than I am for Batvillains! Or on a celebrity swag press kit from the GL movie. Or on a roof. You know, more useless stuff.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:08 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

alcinde4 wrote:
Hilarious. I sold my entire JLU collection of over 200 figures for a little over 1/3 of what Firefly went for. In essence, a little over $1 per figure. And I don't regret it one iota.

You don't regret it one iota when it seems like you could have gotten a lot more for it? I'm not quite sure I understand the logic behind that. If I were you, I'd be pretty stinking pissed off right now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:15 am 
Aspires to be #1

Backward Galaxy wrote:
alcinde4 wrote:

You don't regret it one iota when it seems like you could have gotten a lot more for it? I'm not quite sure I understand the logic behind that. If I were you, I'd be pretty stinking pissed off right now.

It's not like he had a Firefly or some other unreleased figure in there. He had the same figures that everyone else did and he helped out a lot of collectors when he sold it off. I'm sure he doesn't regret it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:27 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

j1h15233 wrote:
It's not like he had a Firefly or some other unreleased figure in there. He had the same figures that everyone else did and he helped out a lot of collectors when he sold it off. I'm sure he doesn't regret it.

In the context of helping out other collectors, that makes sense. Relative to the topic discussion of people overpaying for this stuff, it still seems like an odd comment to make that one is satisfied having paid probably 5-10x as much as one sold the entire collection for AND seeing that one figure went for 3x as much, even if it is a super omg 4r33lz special one.

In other words, I'd probably understand the comment a lot more if it wasn't in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:52 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

It isn't always about the money for some of us.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:34 am 
Resin

callmedude wrote:
Dear person who bought that expensive firefly. I will also buy three figures made from that mold. ;)

Hope it was spy magician or something! sigh.

I really have a longshot hope that some of these guys will see the light of day. Pls mattel! Check it out! We will buy them!

My Firefly was in the hands of custom molders the day after I recieved the figure ;) The backpack presents a challenge and the customizing brain trust is kicking around how best to tackle it.

Marvel Figures: Deadpool,just about any Deadpool

DC Direct Figures: New 52 Vibe/New 52 Catwoman

[/i][/b]Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:36 am 
Aspires to be #1

It's funny how many people still don't know about Stew and his casts. We already have every unreleased figure in the hands of casters so one way or another, I'm getting them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:58 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

If I were Mattel I would just leak a figure onto Ebay every now and then :mrgreen: This doesn't prove that there is a market for these figures only that a few people (at least 2) were willing to pay alot of money for a prototype that may or may not be released.

Personally I think this is beyond ridiculous but it's their money. I bet some Chinese worker is just laughing his butt off right meow.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:07 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Some Chinese worker just made more money in a weekend then he probably makes in a month of wages.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:15 am 
Brand Manager

BFantana wrote:
I guess its time to sell mine! At these prices there no way I cant. Much as I like having them in my display cases...Money talks. And Loudly.

Ebay favors the buyer, the cunning and the eloquent. There are also some gambits, cons, and hustles that can be run. If someone paid $1,025.00 for an auction of mine, I'd be worried that there's a loophole they can exploit, an account that can be hacked or some sort of scam that they can run. Basically, it's good that that kind of dough can be made, but... sellers can get burned by Ebay, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:08 am 
Aspires to be #1

red Ricky wrote:
BFantana wrote:
I guess its time to sell mine! At these prices there no way I cant. Much as I like having them in my display cases...Money talks. And Loudly.

Ebay favors the buyer, the cunning and the eloquent. There are also some gambits, cons, and hustles that can be run. If someone paid $1,025.00 for an auction of mine, I'd be worried that there's a loophole they can exploit, an account that can be hacked or some sort of scam that they can run. Basically, it's good that that kind of dough can be made, but... sellers can get burned by Ebay, too.

If I sell something on eBay, I never ship it until the funds have come to my paypal account and then on to my bank account

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:18 am 
Collector Inspector

j1h15233 wrote:
It's funny how many people still don't know about Stew and his casts. We already have every unreleased figure in the hands of casters so one way or another, I'm getting them.

True. I have his Guy Garnder kit, his Toyman kit, and the heads of every unreleased figure (except, of course, for translucent Fire or Volcana's translucent hair). I even have the Mattel prototype for Vandal Savage. But it's never quite the same as having the offical, factory made final product. I love Stew's work (and need to get his Harvey Bullock kit) but I'm still going to keep pushing Mattel to release those 13 unreleased awesome figures.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next