Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU Firefly sells for $1,025.00 on eBay
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:19 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

true that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:25 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
It isn't always about the money for some of us.

This. Exactly the point I was trying to get across. Thank you Ben.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:27 am 
Collector Inspector

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
It isn't always about the money for some of us.

Yeah, seeing how much some of these went for on eBay makes me wish I had taken my insider connection up on his offer to get them at $150 a piece.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:39 am 
Brand Manager

j1h15233 wrote:
red Ricky wrote:
Ebay favors the buyer, the cunning and the eloquent. There are also some gambits, cons, and hustles that can be run. If someone paid $1,025.00 for an auction of mine, I'd be worried that there's a loophole they can exploit, an account that can be hacked or some sort of scam that they can run. Basically, it's good that that kind of dough can be made, but... sellers can get burned by Ebay, too.

If I sell something on eBay, I never ship it until the funds have come to my paypal account and then on to my bank account

Sure, but a lot of cases are opened after you've received your money and shipped the items. And if the transaction was done electronically... it can be voided and/or reversed at a later date without your consent. So if I were you, I would ask for your JLU winnings in cash, non-sequential, unmarked $50 dollar bills (they are harder to counterfeit and easier to cash.) :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:48 am 
Aspires to be #1

Alright, so send it with a tracking number. If you get burned using eBay and paypal, it's really your fault most of the time. Take the proper steps and you'll be good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am 
Brand Manager

j1h15233 wrote:
Alright, so send it with a tracking number. If you get burned using eBay and paypal, it's really your fault most of the time. Take the proper steps and you'll be good.

For items that sell for over $250, a tracking number is not enough. You need signature confirmation also. If you don't use it, a buyer can claim they never received it (even if the tracking number says it was delivered) and Ebay will refund their money. And it's those little "unusual" details that scammers exploit.

Look, this is not a competition between you and I. I'm just trying to give people a heads up because we are all friends here and some of them have already paid $200+plus dollars on some of these figures. So you know, a little friendly advise and some fun reading can't hurt. The alternative is finding out... the hard way.

Anyways, I did my best. Good luck to y'all.
http://www.newlifeauctions.com/ebay_scams.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:00 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

red Ricky wrote:
I'm just trying to give people a heads up because we are all friends here and some of them have already paid $200+plus dollars on some of these figures. So you know, a little friendly advise and some fun reading can't hurt. The alternative is finding out... the hard way.

Anyways, I did my best. Good luck to y'all.
http://www.newlifeauctions.com/ebay_scams.html

I recommend everyone here that uses Ebay check that link out. Some really interesting info there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:45 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

First up, it's freaking ridiculous that someone spent that much money on such a (yeah - I'm going to say it!) crappy figure. Really. WOW! You could probably have hired an actual sculptor to make a better, one-of-a-kind figure for less.

Also, thanks for those links and suggestions regarding Ebay purchases, gang. I guess I've been lucky so far to not have ended up scammed in a major way!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:53 pm 
Variant Head

I mean I knwo this may come off as some how prejudice,though I am Italian, but I never ship to Italy EVER!I got scammed on a Heroquest boardgame years ago. I mean I know alot of people say only do Priority for international but I do First class all the time to Canada,UK and even South america and never had a problem in fact most of the time they get their stuff faster then priority lol.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:07 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Well I live in the UK, use ebay quite a bit for figures and first class or standard mail from the states has so far always got here ok. Thing is, if I order something from BBTS or get it sent over from a friend on here, I always have to pay custom charges, most of the time with ebay purchases it comes straight through the post. I always check the feedback from a seller when buying, and try to use the same ones.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:09 am 
my tummy itches

Location: Kegworth, just around the corner from Gotham, England
Ahh, customs and excise, the bane of my life.

It SHOULD be that anything marked over a certain value will get charged VAT, plus Parcelforce's handling fees - I think the values are £26 for anything marked "merchandise" and about £40 for things marked "Gift".

Not everything is checked, and sometimes the customs guys decide to read $ as £. If you don't want to pay the customs charge you have to refuse the parcel. You can argue it, but you've only got two weeks otherwise the package is returned to sender or destroyed.

I could go on, but I can feel the frustration rising just typing this.

On topic, yeah... that's a crazy price. Mind you, if I had that kind of disposable income and really wanted it, I might have snapped it up.

But I don't. To either of those.

Jo
Is thinking that the house evacuation plan would have to contain a "getting Firefly out" section

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:14 am 
Knows his stuff

j1h15233 wrote:

That's not always the case. I sold a DCUC Grundy on eBay a few months ago. The item was confirmed as delivered using delivery confirmation. The buyer filed a chargeback claim with his credit card company more than 60 days after the item was delivered saying the item was not as described. He never responded to my eBay messages and he never returned the item. Paypal took my money, plus the shipping, plus a nice $20 fee and I have nothing to show for it. I lost what I originally paid for the figure, the shipping cost, the eBay fees, and the $20. The buyer totally screwed me on that one and Paypal said they can't do anything about it because they're at the mercy of the credit card company.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:34 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Wow, dude, that sucks. You know, it's one thing to do the "figure swapping" or whatever when you buy something from Wal-Mart and return it with something else in it's place, and it's even another thing to buy up a bunch of toys and charge over-inflated prices for them, but a toy collector who uses ebay and paypal technicalities to screw a fellow collector, man, that's just f***n weak.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:21 am 
declined to be a vampire

red Ricky wrote:
Sure, but a lot of cases are opened after you've received your money and shipped the items. And if the transaction was done electronically... it can be voided and/or reversed at a later date without your consent. So if I were you, I would ask for your JLU winnings in cash, non-sequential, unmarked $50 dollar bills (they are harder to counterfeit and easier to cash.) :twisted:

Um...you can revoke paypal funds after they've been received?

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:22 am 
declined to be a vampire

Zodach wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

That's not always the case. I sold a DCUC Grundy on eBay a few months ago. The item was confirmed as delivered using delivery confirmation. The buyer filed a chargeback claim with his credit card company more than 60 days after the item was delivered saying the item was not as described. He never responded to my eBay messages and he never returned the item. Paypal took my money, plus the shipping, plus a nice $20 fee and I have nothing to show for it. I lost what I originally paid for the figure, the shipping cost, the eBay fees, and the $20. The buyer totally screwed me on that one and Paypal said they can't do anything about it because they're at the mercy of the credit card company.

Something doesn't sound right here.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next