Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU Firefly sells for $1,025.00 on eBay
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:24 am 
declined to be a vampire

red Ricky wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
Alright, so send it with a tracking number. If you get burned using eBay and paypal, it's really your fault most of the time. Take the proper steps and you'll be good.

For items that sell for over $250, a tracking number is not enough. You need signature confirmation also. If you don't use it, a buyer can claim they never received it (even if the tracking number says it was delivered) and Ebay will refund their money. And it's those little "unusual" details that scammers exploit.

Look, this is not a competition between you and I. I'm just trying to give people a heads up because we are all friends here and some of them have already paid $200+plus dollars on some of these figures. So you know, a little friendly advise and some fun reading can't hurt. The alternative is finding out... the hard way.

Anyways, I did my best. Good luck to y'all.
http://www.newlifeauctions.com/ebay_scams.html

I think what's really sad here...is the lack of common sense that our society seems to display these days.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:29 am 
declined to be a vampire

Wow. A lot of that stuff is terrible.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:32 am 
declined to be a vampire

How much of this is confirmed on Paypal/Ebay's websites? In their FAQ's or what not?

Hey Caped Crusader...have you seen that? Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:13 pm 
Cold-cast

maybe this is a trust fund kid. Also there is no guarantee that the bidder will actually pay. Sometimes the seller using a different account(s) will create a "false" sale to get the price up. This happens quite a bit on ebay. There are times when the person you are ego bidding against is actually the seller. Either way this is nuts. If this is a genuine sale and they release the figures at retail, i pitty the fool !! (mr t accent)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:28 pm 
serves the Otter

Bunger43 wrote:
red Ricky wrote:
Sure, but a lot of cases are opened after you've received your money and shipped the items. And if the transaction was done electronically... it can be voided and/or reversed at a later date without your consent. So if I were you, I would ask for your JLU winnings in cash, non-sequential, unmarked $50 dollar bills (they are harder to counterfeit and easier to cash.) :twisted:

Um...you can revoke paypal funds after they've been received?

Not you or I. But if you open a case, or someone opens a case against you... Ebay acts as the arbitrator. And if you lose, they can direct PayPal to refund your money to the other party. I think you can "appeal" their decision, but they basically act as judge, jury and executioner.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 pm 
active in the community

You can get funds back from a seller via paypal because I've done it.I also see nothing wrong in purchasing these figures at the price they were.
If you have the funds,why not?Hell if I had the funds I would've bid on that Action comics that went for over a million.Its my money.You can't take it with you,so have fun with it.And yes,my purchase of these figures equalled out to a little over 200 a figure,so I'm looking good right now.
These chinese factory workers are laughing at us collectors.Laughing all the way to the bank.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:23 am 
Knows his stuff

Bunger43 wrote:
Zodach wrote:
That's not always the case. I sold a DCUC Grundy on eBay a few months ago. The item was confirmed as delivered using delivery confirmation. The buyer filed a chargeback claim with his credit card company more than 60 days after the item was delivered saying the item was not as described. He never responded to my eBay messages and he never returned the item. Paypal took my money, plus the shipping, plus a nice $20 fee and I have nothing to show for it. I lost what I originally paid for the figure, the shipping cost, the eBay fees, and the $20. The buyer totally screwed me on that one and Paypal said they can't do anything about it because they're at the mercy of the credit card company.

Something doesn't sound right here.

What about it doesn't sound right? It happened and it's a loophole that the buyer exploited. I called Paypal and walked through everything with them and they basically told me they can't do anything about this. If you know how I can get my money back, please let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:31 am 
declined to be a vampire

[quote="Zodach"]

Let's start here

1. Where is it in paypal's description that they can nail you with a 20 dollar fee
2. If they take your money, the burden of proof lies on them to show that your item was not as described

It's a shame this is the way the system works.

As far as getting your money back, no clue. But I'd like to see where paypal can nail you for another 20 bucks. That's wrong, and people should throw more input around about that crap.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:22 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Zodach wrote:

What about it doesn't sound right? It happened and it's a loophole that the buyer exploited. I called Paypal and walked through everything with them and they basically told me they can't do anything about this. If you know how I can get my money back, please let me know.

Sounds like it was the credit card company that did this and not really Paypal but Paypal still should have made them return the item. The only time the buyer is allowed to keep the item according to Ebay is if it is a fake/ko sold as an original. Buyers hold all the cards when dealing with Ebay these days and it keeps getting worse and worse.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:58 pm 
Collector Inspector

Probably because if buyers had no leg up against getting scammed, a lot less people would use it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:20 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

We need to pray for a miracle that something happens to get these released, or
I would suggest getting casters like BatStew to make these for you.
He has casts of the ones that leaked out of the Asian factory. It would cost less than ebay.

AFi Positive Feedback: +198

Last edited by An-Gel Sakura on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:25 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

ian5555 wrote:
Zodach wrote:

Sounds like it was the credit card company that did this and not really Paypal but Paypal still should have made them return the item. The only time the buyer is allowed to keep the item according to Ebay is if it is a fake/ko sold as an original. Buyers hold all the cards when dealing with Ebay these days and it keeps getting worse and worse.

Not that its right- or helps you know-- you can set up yor paypal account to not accept credit cards-- at least it elminates a fourth party from getting involved-- and paypal then controls everything involved.. And none of that doing something after the paypal/ebay 45 day deadline..

What's funny is every buyer that complains- always says ebay always picks the side of the seller- and every seller says that ebay/paypal always takes the side of the buyer.

Ive won and lost claims in both positions (although when I usually lose as a seller- I at least end up keeping the money and just my feedback takes a hit,)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:37 pm 
Wonderdog

I just want to say how much I appreciate all of the information and stories you all are sharing. My wife is after me to do something about downsizing my collection, and I've never sold anything on eBay, just purchased. The knowledge I've gained just from this thread is absolutely invaluable. Thanks to all, especially red ricky for that great link on page 2.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:57 am 
declined to be a vampire

If you're ultimately worried about this, I guess the only 100% failsafe method as a seller is to only accept checks/money orders, and not ship anything until it clears. That way you stay away from buyers trying to screw you.

Might be harder to sell, but you're safe at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:01 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

BatStew wrote:

Here's one Stew made for me.

AFi Positive Feedback: +198

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next