Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU Firefly sells for $1,025.00 on eBay
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:29 pm 
3 3/4"

Velocity wrote:
I don't want to switch topic or anything but it has been said (from Matty Fan Forums) that someone at PowerCon asked about JLU's future and they reported that Scott (ToyGuru) said that if they were to manufacture the JLU in line with the quantities being purchased, the price on each product offered would have to triple. So that's about $60 for a three pack. So I guess those that want the remaining figures (like me) either have to pray for a miracle or save up BIG to pay for the unreleased figures on eBay in the future.

I'm in for $60 3-packs as long as we get the figures that were shown! I'd much rather pay that amount to Matty then drop hundreds (or in some cases thousands) of dollars on eBay to Chinese sellers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:52 pm 
Cold-cast

Hmmm...$20 per figure vs. $500 to $1,000 per figure. count me in for the price increase.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:00 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Anybody willing to pay "$20" per figure already has Batman and Wonder Woman. So in a pack like Mongul/Batman/Wonder Woman you're really paying $60 just to have Mongul. It works out better if we're talking about the Micron/Static/Aqua Girl pack obviously. I think if Mattel is having a hard time selling 3-packs at $20 raising them to $60 a pack isn't going to work out anyhow because the number of people buying these packs is almost bound to go down due to price regardless of who is in the packs. I just don't see it happening.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:13 pm 
Cold-cast

I agree, the remaining JLU figures will probably never see the light of day. Just for fun, let's say in an alternate universe Mattel went forward with $60 three packs.

I would prefer they eliminate the "filler" duplicate figures, like Superman and Batman. Also, limiting the sale of the packs to a once or twice a year event, like a convention exclusive, might also help. So six figures per year, $120 total for the year. Still cheaper than $6,000. But I'm a fanatic. So I understand some people would not be into it for that price.

The fact remains that these last figures have been released already. They are being made illegally and sold for ridiculous prices. This is hurting both Mattel and collectors.

Mattel could even have a promotion where you buy figures from the other DC lines (YJ, DC Main line, Dark Knight, etc.), send the proofs of purchase to Mattel and purchase the remaining 3 packs for $15 or something. I would totally be on board with that too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:26 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I agree if they WERE going to do this, they need to spread it out over two or three years. I can't afford those kind of prices unless I have time to save up for them. I'm sort of for that idea but if they released the last figures on a monthly basis I'd be ticked.

I'd much rather they be regular priced convention exclusives. You might wind up paying that much anyway from a eBay scalper but at least then you have a few more options and Matty could recoup it's money easier since they wouldn't have to make as many.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:51 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'm not ruling out the packs at $20 each. I still think there is a reasonable chance that it could happen. I've never believed the situation was quite as dire as Mattel would have us think. Just like the DCUC subscription situation. They said it had to be 100%... So I don't think JLU is completely doomed yet. Now at $60 a pack... Unless Mattel is planning to drastically cut the price down from $60 (unannounced) in the weeks/months following the initial sales, it's not going to be pretty and that's at the risk of infuriating the early buyers if they even care. Really, I don't care what they do to get the figures out there. I was worried more before about them ruining the line with high prices but at this point what do we have to lose? It's not like the has a much life left as it is.

Last edited by whakojacko1976 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:59 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Fone Bone wrote:
I agree if they WERE going to do this, they need to spread it out over two or three years. I can't afford those kind of prices unless I have time to save up for them. I'm sort of for that idea but if they released the last figures on a monthly basis I'd be ticked.

I'd much rather they be regular priced convention exclusives. You might wind up paying that much anyway from a eBay scalper but at least then you have a few more options and Matty could recoup it's money easier since they wouldn't have to make as many.

I totally get what you're saying but I think if Mattel were to drag these packs out over a couple of years that too many people are just going to lose interest the closer we get to the end. I think they can spread them out over a number of months in 2012 but not years. Like 2 3-packs every other month for about 6 months.

...and that's at the $20 price tag not $60.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:04 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I'm skeptical about a sixty dollar price tag too. I think that would drive away five consumers for every one they snagged. I think that should only be a last resort. I can wait a couple of years for Mattel to find a way to give them a proper release (like Indiana Jones fans did for Hasbro) but they should do their best to avoid this scenario at all costs unless there is no other option.

whackojacko1976 wrote:
I totally get what you're saying but I think if Mattel were to drag these packs out over a couple of years that too many people are just going to lose interest the closer we get to the end. I think they can spread them out over a number of months in 2012 but not years. Like 2 3-packs every other month for about 6 months.

At 60 dollars each? Wince. I don't know if I'd be able to take that financial hit and I'm sure I'm not alone in this economy. I HAVE to eat.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:23 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Fone Bone wrote:

At 60 dollars each? Wince. I don't know if I'd be able to take that financial hit and I'm sure I'm not alone in this economy. I HAVE to eat.

I was totally talking about Mattel doing that at $20 not $60. You might have missed my edit to my previous post while you were typing yours. I'd wince at this at $60 too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:09 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

My apologies if someone already posted this, but Mongol and Micron sold for over $500 apiece. My fridge just went out recently, I needed to raise a little extra cash since I had to shell out $600+ for a new fridge, so I put a few things on line that I knew had value. My JLU Aquaman (on card) sold for $100. I was pretty surprised at that. I hated having to sell one of my JLU figures, but I really needed the cash, and someday I will replace him.

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:20 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I still believe that a Firefly, Volcana, & Dr Destiny three-pack would be a big seller on Matty. They should at least give it a shot and see. If it fails, then the fans will know that the line is DONE.

Perhaps they throw in Toyman and make it a four-pack and charge $50.00. Then they can justify a higer price. It's worth a shot. JMO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:34 am 
Aspires to be #1

rono wrote:
I still believe that a Firefly, Volcana, & Dr Destiny three-pack would be a big seller on Matty. They should at least give it a shot and see. If it fails, then the fans will know that the line is DONE.

Perhaps they throw in Toyman and make it a four-pack and charge $50.00. Then they can justify a higer price. It's worth a shot. JMO.

Neither of those are going to happen without several other things happening first.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:21 am 
5" Scale

rono wrote:

they are doing this, with the Final 7 pack, if the sales numbers are not there for a 7 pack of new figures, the line is done. I am still amazed TG was able to squeeze that 7 pack out.

Its way past time to face the music, JLU is dead.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:43 am 
declined to be a vampire

fball13z wrote:
rono wrote:

they are doing this, with the Final 7 pack, if the sales numbers are not there for a 7 pack of new figures, the line is done. I am still amazed TG was able to squeeze that 7 pack out.

Its way past time to face the music, JLU is dead.

JLU died when the figures went from 4.99 to 8.99/9.99 basically overnight. I've not purchased one since.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:02 am 
Aspires to be #1

Bunger43 wrote:
JLU died when the figures went from 4.99 to 8.99/9.99 basically overnight. I've not purchased one since.

This never happened. The price raised itself over a year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next