Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU Firefly sells for $1,025.00 on eBay
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:06 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Nearly doubling in price in one year's time hurt the line. No doubt about it.

Greed isn't good. Thanks Mattel & Target!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:33 am 
Kool Moe Dee

Even if Mattel has made no comment on JLU other than "the 7 pack is the end" they would know by now if anything is coming out in 2012.

If there is no news at NYCC, I'd say the fork has officially been stuck in the fat lady and she is singing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:00 am 
categorically opposed

rono wrote:
I still believe that a Firefly, Volcana, & Dr Destiny three-pack would be a big seller on Matty. They should at least give it a shot and see. If it fails, then the fans will know that the line is DONE.

Perhaps they throw in Toyman and make it a four-pack and charge $50.00. Then they can justify a higer price. It's worth a shot. JMO.

You really think that a pack with one already-released character and two characters that have had speaking roles in two episodes would outperform highly-fan-demanded Kalibak or STRIPE? People keep saying, "Well, release Character X, and then if that fails, we'll agree the line is dead."

But you know that if Character X fails, everyone will say, "Well, if they release Character Y and it fails, we can agree the line is dead." At what point do you admit that the efforts are futile?

The bottom line is that no one that actively collects the line is going to be happy when it ends.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:08 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

If they didn't double it the line most likely would have died. Greed is fine with me if someone is will to pay it hell look at the people shelling out $1000 for a figure :mrgreen: I sure as hell would be taking advantage of that situation.

Bling Bling!!!!

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:10 am 
Collector Inspector

Bunger43 wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
Just a quick note about shipping...when I sell things on eBay, the shipping costs for me usually includes the packaging costs as well as shipping costs unless I already have a box or envelope. If I'm selling something and I have to ship it for 5 and buy an envelope for 3 then you're paying at least 8 shipping.

When I trade with other members here I usually just eat that extra cost to help someone out but strangers on eBay can pay what I paid.

This.

I think a lot of people think "man, that's only 5 bucks to ship"...but ignore the fact that the person has to go buy/find a box, gas costs, time costs...etc.

I don't mean to be a dick...but it is an absolute pain in the ass for me to get to the post office because of my hours and my job duties. So when I sell something online, that cost is going to be reflected.

I do try to make it easier on peeps here though, because they help me out too.

Sorry to change the subject again. Your argument of "go buy/find a box, gas costs, time costs...etc." doesn't hold water. You can order boxes and envelopes from USPS for free that will come to your door in 7-10 days. They come in bundles of 10-25. Most of the different styles you can order anywhere from 200-500 at a time. You can print out your labels from home and the mailman will come to your house and pick it up. So there isn't any gas cost and time to do this is greatly reduced.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:23 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

You still have to buy label sheets and spend your own toner (which ain't cheap BTW) AND you have to be home when the mailman comes, which isn't an option for most of us with a day job (mine comes at 2 PM).

Please you're assuming they actually come to your house. Where I live mail is put in a big locked box along with my neighbors down the street. My mail person nev er comes to the old homestead.

I'm with Burger, going to the post office is a pain in the butt, especially since most of them out here close at 5 PM and I have to make a special effort to get there before it does. I eat the cost for my buddies here, I pass it on to everybody else.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:51 am 
Collector Inspector

Shellhead wrote:
You still have to buy label sheets and spend your own toner (which ain't cheap BTW) AND you have to be home when the mailman comes, which isn't an option for most of us with a day job (mine comes at 2 PM).

First you do not need to buy labels. Sheets of paper work just as good. So what does that cost, Pennies. You are right ink does cost money and so does tape but when you average that in per package it's still just pennies. I never had any problem with the mail picking up packages, even when I shipped 15-20 packages at a time. There is an option on the website to let the mailman know pick up at front door.

Shellhead wrote:
Please you're assuming they actually come to your house. Where I live mail is put in a big locked box along with my neighbors down the street. My mail person nev er comes to the old homestead.

I never once had a problem with the mailman coming to my door when I lived in an apartment. Even now when I live in a house with a central mail box for the neighborhood, still no problem getting him to my door. Maybe you should report your mail delivery.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:09 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

The point is, I would have to leave the package out in order for him/her to pick it up. I'm never home in the afternoons, even on Saturdays. The only day I'm usually around is Sunday, but there's no mail service.

And I don't know if I'd feel comfortable leaving something valuable out where anyone could take it for any significant length of time. Plus I have no way to determine how much postage would be needed.

I'm glad you are so well versed with snail mail. I never use it except when helping somebody out on this site. Heck, I don't even keep stamps at home. I pay everything online.

All I know is that whenever I have to ship something through a post office, there's always a line and it takes forever. The self shipping center helps out, but there's often a line for that as well.

I'm not gonna begrudge a person charging a few extra bucks. Dealing with the post office is a pain.

YMMV. :wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 am 
Collector Inspector

Shellhead wrote:
I'm not gonna begrudge a person charging a few extra bucks. Dealing with the post office is a pain.

Oh I am not either. I think there is reasonable shipping and unreasonable. I was just pointing out that there are was to do things with out spending all that time and money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:52 am 
declined to be a vampire

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:

Sorry to change the subject again. Your argument of "go buy/find a box, gas costs, time costs...etc." doesn't hold water. You can order boxes and envelopes from USPS for free that will come to your door in 7-10 days. They come in bundles of 10-25. Most of the different styles you can order anywhere from 200-500 at a time. You can print out your labels from home and the mailman will come to your house and pick it up. So there isn't any gas cost and time to do this is greatly reduced.

Didn't realize that. Although I can't really do that stuff at the office I work at, and I'm not sure my mailman will show up prior to 6:30 or after 7. Do they do pickups on the weekends? No way I'm leaving boxes out on my porch where I live.

But...if how I handle it is I do go find boxes, and spend gas...then yes, it absolutely holds water Whether I choose to utilize USPS services is irrelevent(but it is on me), but it doesn't negate the costs that I incur if I don't use them, and those costs being passed onto the buyer are justified. As I do when I bid on something, if I think the sellers costs are too much, I move on. I wouldn't expect a buyer to look at me any different.

On top of, if I go out specifically looking for an item to sell (HATE ON SCALPER HATERS) either for a board member at cost or someone else, that's time and costs that I incur. Simple as that.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:45 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

The free USPS boxes are for the flat rate shipping which is usually more expensive then if you buy a box and do it all your self plus I can't add a few bucks to cover some of the fees. Screw that.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:49 pm 
3 3/4"

The first Micron sold for $133, the second one sold for $66. These are slowly entering my price range. I would buy all the unreleased figures for $20-$50 each.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:49 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

Not sure where you saw a $66 Micron, there have only been 3 in the last month and they went from $133-$405.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:11 pm 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

When all is said and done, my Micron will have cost me under $10.
I bought a head cast from a real one and I'm using an Atom body to make a custom.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:34 am 
3 3/4"

vancleef9000 wrote:
Not sure where you saw a $66 Micron, there have only been 3 in the last month and they went from $133-$405.

Well apparently there have been 4 then because the latest one only went for $66.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next