Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matty 10/17/11: How'd it go for you?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:04 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Don't forget that the shipping was pretty reasonable for Matty as well. Surprisingly so.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:05 pm 
Daniel Pickett

BCYa wrote:
Well, this is just dumb all around. If Mattel makes a product that people want to buy, how does it benefit them to have it sell out in a few hours? Don't they want to make money?

I was hesitant on picking it up, but since they were almost gone, I decided to bite the bullet and pull the trigger. Or something like that.

I'm sure there was a low order made for this set. It was a risky venture for them to produce a 12-pack of figures and historically ALL the DCUC offerings sold on Matty have underperformed. So I KNOW Mattel had to be nervous going into this set because it's a LOT of money to ask collectors to drop AND the underperforming DCUC set AND subscription gave the appearance that fans wouldn't show up for this set.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:19 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Marc wrote:
Six sets of the Legion 12-pack have sold for $300 plus shipping on ebay. :shock:

Glad I was able to get one! Roll on more mega-packs, Mattel!

This is exactly why I considered buying 10 of them today and maxing out the credit card haha. It was a bit too risky though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:47 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Julius

This 12 pack is the perfect type of thing to offer to DCU subscribers in a collector club as a "thank you". Why not not let subscribers get a "fast pass" to order one per subscription before opening it the the public. I subscribe because I hate the mad dash on sale days. Hopefully this is "Sold Out" just like the Ghostbuster figures were listed as Sold Out.

JuliusMarx wrote:
BCYa wrote:
Well, this is just dumb all around. If Mattel makes a product that people want to buy, how does it benefit them to have it sell out in a few hours? Don't they want to make money?

I was hesitant on picking it up, but since they were almost gone, I decided to bite the bullet and pull the trigger. Or something like that.

I'm sure there was a low order made for this set. It was a risky venture for them to produce a 12-pack of figures and historically ALL the DCUC offerings sold on Matty have underperformed. So I KNOW Mattel had to be nervous going into this set because it's a LOT of money to ask collectors to drop AND the underperforming DCUC set AND subscription gave the appearance that fans wouldn't show up for this set.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:04 pm 
5" Scale

mrArticulate wrote:
Julius

This 12 pack is the perfect type of thing to offer to DCU subscribers in a collector club as a "thank you". Why not not let subscribers get a "fast pass" to order one per subscription before opening it the the public. I subscribe because I hate the mad dash on sale days. Hopefully this is "Sold Out" just like the Ghostbuster figures were listed as Sold Out.

What? A thank you?

And as being like the Ghostbusters being sold out, those are normally up for a week or so and then "sold out"

This one has sold out for real, they wouldnt pull it after 3 hours. I have a DC sub and require no "thank you" and if 3 hours is a mad dash, guess you dont collect MOTUC, we had some sell outs in 3 mins lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:20 am 
shirtless hugger

Noooooooooo!

I can't believe the LOSH set sold out already! I missed my chance. Darn.

I hope it will come back, like the Stay-Puft figure that keeps selling out and popping up again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:40 pm 
Wonderdog

I wish they had released the Legion in a smaller scale - I would have bought them in a heartbeat. The wife is running out of patience with me collecting large figures. :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:04 am 
5th Horseman

BCYa wrote:

While I agree with you generally speaking, it sounds like the limited edition of this item caused you to go through with a purchase you might not have made otherwise. It seems that in your case, scarcity/collectibility increased the desirability of the figures. That's actually smart business.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:25 am 
Displays Backwards

DanMan wrote:
BCYa wrote:

While I agree with you generally speaking, it sounds like the limited edition of this item caused you to go through with a purchase you might not have made otherwise. It seems that in your case, scarcity/collectibility increased the desirability of the figures. That's actually smart business.

Yeah, I hear ya. But I just think if there is enough demand to sell out in 3 hours, they could have made more, sold more, and then our chances of getting another Legion 12-pack or more Legion figures would go up. I just feel like a lot of fans who might have wanted this are out of luck, and selling out in a day is such a small window. They couldn't make enough product to last a week? They thought demand was going to be much lower than it really was?

Hopefully this is a positive sign, and not just the result of making minimal numbers. I loathe scalpers and feel sorry for anybody who wanted this but was a little late to the party. Just makes me a little sad knowing Mattel could have sold more, because I love the Legion and would like to see more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:58 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

from MattyCollector forums:

Quote:
Yes, the Legion 12-pack did sell out quickly! We have heard the fan requests and are exploring doing a second run. If we decide to proceed with this, you'll see the announcement here on Mattycollector.com!

-FanGirl 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:56 pm 
shirtless hugger

Woo-hoo! Great news! (Except for the scalpers selling them on eBay.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:39 pm 
MINT!

That would be GREAT news! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:33 pm 
Displays Backwards

GregNYC wrote:
Woo-hoo! Great news! (Except for the scalpers selling them on eBay.)

Whadya mean? Bad news for scalpers is always great news!

I hope they make more so more people can get them (my set is on this way, I just have to decide if can hold off until Xmas to open them or will I spoil it?)
But I hope they don't make too many (so Mattel is sad and won't make more Legion figs in the future) or too few (so that people still miss out). It's tough getting it just right, ask Goldilocks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:39 pm 
Ferret Farmer

During my lunch break, around 1 something, was able to order everything I wanted with no problems. Ray, Legion and 2 Hals. Just waiting on that shipping confirmation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:14 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Got my shipping confirmation but I went ahead and sold my set. $370 is too good a deal after spending $180 for something I'm pretty sure will get released again and now I can buy 2, one to open and one to keep MISB so basically will get one set for free :)

Not saying they did but it would be a good way to create a buzz on these sets if they "artificially" created demand by ending this early. Alot of people who were on the fence really want this now just because it sold out. I'd bet it was more low production though as they probably didn't want to be stuck with thousands of them though. Now future sets will most likely sell better because everyone will be scared they will sell out quickly but either way this is good for DC Universe line to have sell outs.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next