Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Super Powers Penguin to be in a Three-Pack
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:10 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Maybe with a brown Kalibak repaint?

I think the light blue Superman and/or the Wonder Woman repaint would also make sense since Mattel has already spent the development $ on those.

Or maybe an Orion with that funny SP style hat/helmet thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:24 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I hope it's something good. I've wanted this Penguin since the old Batman Mattel line.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:03 pm 
Aspires to be #1

regwec wrote:
The only problem with a Silver Age Catwoman is that it would be slightly redundant if you have the DCD version. That figure may be barely half-articulated, but it is beautifully sculpted and scaled to fit very well with the other DCUC/DCSH/Batman Legacy figures. She looks great alongside 'Legacy Joker, wave 1 Penguin and wave 16 Riddler.

An 80s/90s Catwoman would be ideal, and ought to be achievable with just a new head sculpt.

Nope, DCD is a separate line. Mattel should make any and every figure DCD if they want to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:55 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I am aware that the two are separate, which is why I referred to them separately. My point is only that Mattel's Silver Age Catwoman can only really improve on DCD's in the field of articulation. Personally, that isn't enough for me to own both.

I realize that a lot of people would want both, and a lot of people don't already own DCD's offering. But the fact that DCD's is nicely in scale with DCUC/DCSH means, to me, that Mattel have a better opportunity to fill a gap in their range by producing an 80s/90s Catwoman, since DCD's Knightfall Catwoman is a giantess.

I know that the two companies aren't exactly focused on cooperating to better satisfy their customers, however, and the fact that we have already seen the Silver Age Catwoman obviously means that we are getting it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:19 am 
Former King of Posts

j1h15233 wrote:
Nope, DCD is a separate line. Mattel should make any and every figure DCD if they want to.

IMO, Mattel and DCD should coordinate so that there is a gap between offering the same character, especially in the same costume. I think this would maximize sales of each figure.

DC Direct seems to currently be focused on short spurts of characters as they appear in certain stories (Superman/Batman arcs, Blackest Night, Brightest Day, Flash Point). Mattel in general has gone with more long standing characters and costumes. The new rainbow Lantern corps seems to be an area of repeated overlap.

DC Direct's only new showing at NYCC was figures for the DCnU version of the JLA and Batman video game characters. Mattel's big reveal was Larfleeze and some repaints. We know Mattel considered doing some Black Lanterns and Blue Lantern Saint Walker as they were on some lists that popped up.

It will be interesting to see where the two "lines" go in the future. So far they seem to be continuing as they were.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:10 pm 
serves the Otter

JuliusMarx wrote:
Maybe with a brown Kalibak repaint?

I'd be disappointed if that was JUST a repaint. I don't want to see Mattel half-ass some Super Powers Kalibak release. If they were to do it right, it would require almost a completely new sculpt to accurately reflect the SP costume. Go compare the DCUC C&C figure with the Super Powers version side by side and you'll see that the costume is not simply just a different color. Given that they did a new headlsculpt for SP Penguin (which didn't seem necessary, but much appreciated), it gives me minor hope that they'd put some effort into a SP Kalibak too, more than just a cheap repaint. But then again, look at the SP Mr. Freeze in the Batman Legacy line. :roll:

Besides, I doubt we'll ever see any C&C figure re-released. If they were to do that, the first one absolutely should be Giganta considering the demand for her from those who were never able to get her head with Gentleman Ghost.

Ideally, I'd just like to see this 3-pack include the prototype blue cowl Batman from DCUC wave 1 and the unreleased light blue suit Superman from the cancelled 2-pack. I'd hate if one of the figures is just a straight repack that none of us needs, like one of the Robins. Unfortunately, Mattel doesn't always make smart decisions (what an understatement :)) because the pegwarming Captain Marvel/Black Adam 2-pack should have included that unreleased SP Captain Marvel repaint too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:20 pm 
Cold-cast

Hcs7 wrote:
How about with a clear superman and a felix faust, like in the one super powers episode that Penguin appeared in?

http://www.cartoonscrapbook.com/02pics- ... am_L15.jpg

sweet idea just wtched that episode yesterday love felix faust :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:57 pm 
5th Horseman

Hcs7 wrote:
How about with a clear superman and a felix faust, like in the one super powers episode that Penguin appeared in?

http://www.cartoonscrapbook.com/02pics- ... am_L15.jpg

GEEEEEEEE-wait for it-EEEEEENIUS!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:25 pm 
Wonderdog

isnt the mattel one a FA catwoman? ie golden age catwoman?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:43 pm 
serves the Otter

I'll be shocked if the other 2 fgures in this 3-pack are not specifically Super Powers themed. Penguin isn't exactly an "anchor" for a 3-pack, and offering him in this SP paint variant indicates that Super Powers is clearly the theme of this pack. Not Batman themed... not Super Friends themed.... just Super Powers. Wasn't a Super Powers multi-pack originally rumored for 2011/2012? Maybe this 3-pack is what ultimately became of that rumor.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:07 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Maybe it will be the brighter colored super powers superman and wonder woman everyone has been wanting packed in with Penguin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:43 pm 
serves the Otter

the clock king wrote:
Maybe it will be the brighter colored super powers superman and wonder woman everyone has been wanting packed in with Penguin

That's what I'm hoping for and expecting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:32 am 
Variant Head

shabbyblue wrote:
the clock king wrote:

That's what I'm hoping for and expecting.

I would love to see it coming with SP colored Superman and Brainiac :wink: