Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DCUC Legion of Super-Heroes - Quick overview/review
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:50 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I've been anxiouslty awaiting the DC Universe Classics LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES set since it was first announced. Along with being a collector of DC Universe Classics, I've been a longtime fan of the Legion, and except for those rather overpriced DC Direct figures some years ago, which honestly didn't impress me that much, there's never really been a good line of Legion of Super-Heroes action figures.

This 12-pack wasn't cheap, certainly, but I very much scrimped and saved, and it was worth it! Here's a basic overview and review.

The set features Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy -- in other words, the three founders -- Superboy, Brainiac 5, Chameleon Boy, Karate Kid, Colossal Boy, Wildfire, Timber Wolf, Ultra Boy, and Matter-Eater Lad.

The package is extremely impressive. It's designed to resemble the Legion's original clubhouse, the yellow inverted rocket. It folds out into seven panels, most of which contain two figures. The center panel features the larger Colossal Boy figure, as well as a small figure of Proty, and a Legion ring. For the sake of symmetry, this left one panel vacant, which is marked for Invisible Kid. Mildly amusing joke on Mattel's part.

Most of the figures are slightly smaller than average DCUC figures. They're about the size of the teenage Kamandi figure from several assortments back, as well as the Connor Kent Superboy figure, and may even share some of the same parts. There are, however, several notable exceptions to this.

Wildfire and Ultra Boy are slightly larger. I'm not entirely sure why they were singled out for this. I suspect the general intent is to portray Ultra Boy as a powerhouse, even though he ends up larger than Superboy, and Wildfire, after all, is disembodied energy in a containment suit, which doesn't have to be scaled to teenager proportions.

Saturn Girl, the lone female in the set, seems to use many of the same female body molds as many of the female figures in the line. Since they tend to be on the smallish side to begin with, she blends in with the Legion set rather nicely. Colossal Boy, obviously, is the largest of the lot, and uses some of the same larger body molds that we've seen on Atom Smasher and Apache Chief.

Both Brainiac 5 and Karate Kid have a number of distinctive parts. Brainiac 5 is an entirely unique figure, although he's the same height as everyone else. Karate Kid is wearing his loose-fitting tunic, but is also otherwise the same height as the others.

My criticisms, in light of my own nit-pickiness when it comes to DC Universe Classics figures, and the fact that there are TWELVE figures here, are blessedly minimal. Wildfire's right hand isn't entirely snapped in, and I'm not sure why. I am extremely reluctant to try to remove it to determine the cause. Superboy has a slightly overly cheesy grin on his face. And I really, really, really could've done without the double elbow articulation on Karate Kid. I've got a few figures with slightly stuck parts, but I think I can handle that. At least nobody is floppy loose.

None of this spoils the set for me, of course, and I am truly delighted to have it, and truly pleased that Mattel has seen fit to produce it. I'm very glad to have all of these amazing figures. Everybody is properly assembled, neatly painted, no significant glitches whatsoever.

I'm also glad that this set was well in the works before the DC Relaunch, of which DC Universe Classics is something of a victim, becoming an online subscription series while I assume Mattel has to come up with a new line in conjunction with the "New DC 52" or what the hell ever -- may this repugnant aberration die a quick and well-deserved death.

As such, I don't know if there are plans for any additional Legionnaires, but there's certainly plenty to choose from. Heck, Mattel could do another 12-pack if they wanted to, but that might be a bit much. However, if I were to list the top five additional Legionnaires that I would like to see, that list would feature Mon-El, Element Lad, Sun Boy, Shadow Lass, and Blok.

In the meantime, I'd like to thank Mattel for producing this amazing set of figures, and making a longtime Legion fan and action figure collector very happy!