Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: WB CONSUMER PRODUCTS EXTENDS AGREEMENT W/ DC and MATTEL
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:19 am 
Aspires to be #1

I guess you guys are right, I mean Mattel has only given us thousands of DC figures over the last few years in several different scales and styles. They really suck :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:28 am 
5" Scale

j1h15233 wrote:
I guess you guys are right, I mean Mattel has only given us thousands of DC figures over the last few years in several different scales and styles. They really suck :roll:

lol some people just want to doom and gloom about everything, like I said i am very happy Mattel kept it, I was worried for a bit it wasnt going to get renewed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:58 am 
categorically opposed

fball13z wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

lol some people just want to doom and gloom about everything, like I said i am very happy Mattel kept it, I was worried for a bit it wasnt going to get renewed

I never doubted it for a second. I'm not sure another company (other than Hasbro) would be able to afford the DC license, and given Hasbro's involvement with Marvel, I'm not sure that they would be able to take on DC.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:36 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I don't have a problem with what Mattel has been putting out under the DC banners.

The biggest problem for me is the constant disconnect between the supplier (Mattel) and its retail partners. We constantly have issues with regional disparity, waves of product all coming out simultaneously at different venues (BatLegacy 2, DCUC wave 18, & 19 all hit within weeks of eachother at 3 different outlets with little to no crossover of DCUC waves), and the constant glut of "old" merchandise that doesn't get addressed by Mattel because it is "the retailers problem".

If Mattel were to have any sort of physical presence (meaning a SALES REP) in any of its retail partners' stores, many of these issues could be addressed if not completely resolved I would think.

Mattel is a very old, very successful company and they are seemingly very resistant to changing with the marketplace.

I love their product, I don't like very much their business model (as it pertains to delivery to enduser).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:05 am 
Resin

Mattel did the most important thing any toy company can do with the DC license. They appear to put DC Comics fans in charge of making the strategic decisions for each line.

One of the reasons so many passionate fans tend to "broogle" on this site, is because we feel like Mattel is actually listening to us. This would have been unheard of at Kenner, and Mattel deserves major props for giving us a voice in the direction of the DC product. No more rainbow Batmans. We now get variants that make sense, and so many DC "firsts" in plastic that would make your head spin.

Despite all of the JLU hiccups, Mattel still produced over 200 different unique and amazing Bruce Timm style characters. JLU is and probably always will be my all time favorite toy line. I'm cautiously optimistic that we will see the unreleased JLU figures made at some point in the future.

So thanks Mattel, for producing some of the best DC figures in my 25+ years of collecting. Looking forward to seeing what the future holds!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:09 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Did it actually say anywhere how long the agreement was extended for? I'll admit to reading the front page, but not the "continue click here" part.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I love their product, I don't like very much their business model (as it pertains to delivery to enduser).

QFT.

And to add a bit more, I think their quality control department needs a complete overhaul. There's nothing quite as frustrating as getting a new figure, pulling it out of the package and having it's foot break off(DCUC Robin, I'm looking at you) or getting a figure made out of cheap bendy plastic with bad paint apps(JLU for about 4 years now).

Make the product we want, of good quality and make it findable.

I'm willing to pay for it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:48 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I dont love their product- I love their license--- Hasbro has come leaps and bounds over what they used to do 20 years ago-- and some of the DC product now still looks worse than the Toy Biz lines of the 90's.

if I want DC cartoon toys- I have no choice but to buy Mattel.. and if I had a choice- I would go with Hasbro-- the only real similar lines to be had by both toy companies in the past 5 years or so has been the Toy Box Heroes- vs. Toy Story Buddies line-- ( and Hasbro only had it for like 3 months before Mattel took it over..) and I prefer the Hasbro versions-- (I know its a small sample size)-- but we all have our favorites...

Like Ive always said-- whose to say hasbro couldnt hire the 4H to keep consistency in a line..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:10 am 
categorically opposed

stewbacca wrote:
Like Ive always said-- whose to say hasbro couldnt hire the 4H to keep consistency in a line..

Given that Mattel uses the Horsemen for MotUC, it'd likely be a conflict of interest for them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:26 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

fball13z wrote:
you_will_forget wrote:
This seems to be summed up quite easily:

DCUC collectors - Yay!
Collectors of any other DC line Mattel produces - Boo!

I'm happy with the announcement, I collect just the 6-inch guys and Action League. I would like to see a decent 3 3/4 inch line, but I wouldn't be able to afford it as well.

Now I'm just waiting to see what next year brings.

Jo

hey has a YJ collector I am happy as well

Add me to that happy YJ collector list.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:00 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
j1h15233 wrote:

Don't get me wrong I am grateful we got what we did from Mattel, but IMO they did it in a very sucky way almost 99% of the time, (horrible pack-outs/distribution, re-paint upon repaint, not to mention all the Blaming of JLU's failings on the fans on top of that,) Sorry but while I thought Mattel did a good job when they first started (2003) and even up until about 2007, they really became a bunch of jerk-wads later on, (maybe it was when they hired Digital River to run their Matty site that they became completely incompetent) Also I am happy that people are glad Mattel still has the DC license, (really I am happy you guys/gals are happy :) ) and I hope they are able to make more DC stuff that everyone will enjoy. :)
Also remember folks this is all just my opinion though, but feel free to commence the public humiliation or throw tomatoes and such at me, ;)

D.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:47 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

You know what? Marvel Legends had a long, successful run. Marvel collectors could get many--not all, admittedly--but many of their favorite characters in 6" form. And now? Marvel Legends is back, because Hasbro can see that there's a segment of the marketplace that they aren't serving with Marvel Universe. And Hasbro's product is findable ENOUGH (most of the time--later movie waves not-withstanding) that ML collectors should feel like they have stuff to chase after AND stuff to look forward to.

Mattel, on the other hand, ran DCIH into the ground, and they're going against proven industry trends and standards on the 3.75" front (see GL movie vs. any Hasbro 3.75" product). DCUC is a beautiful line, but Mattel puts out terrible figures that don't sell for many reasons (reasons that are under MATTEL's control) and then blames the fans when they don't sell. Mattel has a HUGE segment of the marketplace (3.75" collectors) who have been woefully underserved by them, and who have no reason to expect any kind of competence or product from Mattel any time soon.

I'm not being a whiner for finding JLU unbuyable for me. I'm not being a whiner for not wanting to dedicate the resources or space to a 6" DCUC collection that can't display next to my MU figures. I'm saying honestly that Mattel has proven to me time and again that they just don't get how to sell action figures that I--or my fellow 3.75" buyers--want to buy, and I'd like to see the license go to a company that does get it. In fact, I'd like to see the license go to a company that can do BOTH, like Hasbro.

Giving us thousands of low-quality figures for inflated prices while Hasbro's SW and MU lines shine like gold isn't doing us any favors.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:04 pm 
categorically opposed

Eric Qel-Droma wrote:
Giving us thousands of low-quality figures for inflated prices while Hasbro's SW and MU lines shine like gold isn't doing us any favors.

Thousands? Really?

Their in-house 3.75" line sucked. I don't think anyone in their right mind would disagree. But the 6" DCUC figures are heads and shoulders above what was released in 6" from Hasbro. It's too early to say if the new Legends will be better, worse, or on the same level as DCUC.

I'd much rather have figures that are articulated like DCUC than those weird-ass joints that are on MLs. Just because they're not as articulated doesn't mean they're "low-quality."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:48 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I should have put "thousands" in quotes, as I was referring to j1h15233's post above. And I was referring to JLU, DCIH, and YJ in terms of quality. And I will go on record as not being a fan of a 5-POA aesthetic. It's cool if others are, but I'm not.

I'll also go ahead and disagree with you that DCIH sucked. When it launched, it was cheaper than any 3.75" line on the market. At $5/figure and $10/3-pack, I was more than happy to deal with its short-comings. Its final body-type, while not as good as the best MU figures, was at least starting to be competitive. The problem was the pricing and the quality combined to make it not remotely as good as SW or MU. DCIH was a line that needed to evolve to compete, and Mattel chose to kill it, instead. The dreck they came up with for GL 3.75", combined with their total misjudgment of the 3.75" market, has not improved the situation.

(Not that Hasbro's perfect here - look at the case pack-outs for Thor, for example. But the Captain America and Iron Man 2 lines had many, many excellent figures in them that had kid-AND-collector appeal and excellent articulation for the scale. GL? Not so much.)

As for DCUC being "better" than ML, I'm not a huge fan of either line, so I lack the knowledge to argue there. I'll only say that, if memory serves, ML was considered excellent and ground-breaking in its day. I'll happily take correction on that point if correction is needed.

Again, I meant to be quoting j1h15233 with the "low quality" thing. While DCUC isn't my scale, I am deeply envious of those who have the money and space to collect figures that nice. I think DCUC is pretty awesome all around.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:30 am 
Former King of Posts

So, in a nutshell,

1. Several fans of existing Mattel DC Universe lines are looking forward to them continuing. DCUC or its replacement. Young Justice. JLU.

2. Fans of the 3.75" scale wish that Mattel would put a better effort into the 3.75" scale or that Hasbro would get the license so the fans could get 3.75" DC comics product comparable to Hasbro's Star Wars and Marvel figures in the 3.75" scale. They did like Mattel's efforts in the Infinite Heroes line.

IMO, the problem is that JLU succeeded too well. Infinite Heroes appears to have been intended to replace JLU, but then ended up on shelves next to it. People did not switch. (To me, the scales was too close for me to rebuy the same characters. My investment in JLU was too large to switch.) Young Justice is now Mattel's main line in the roughly 4" scale. We also have Action League.

It is clear that there IS a demand for DC product in the 3.75" scale. So, Mattel, take this info and run with it.

Did I miss anything?