Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Sub Question (Not for mattel, but for us..give me your .
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:48 am 
Displays Backwards

I signed up because I'm a completist. I really love this line, and I will collect it to the very end.

But I do look forward to finishing some teams, especially the Metal Men and the Doom Patrol, and starting some new ones, like the Royal Flush Gang.

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
If you use the TT as your team example:
Robin, Kid Flash, Speedy, Wonder Girl, and Aqualad
I say we have 2 of the above (depending on your use of Robin from DCUC 16?)

Wolfman/Perez:
Robin/Nightwing (we possibly have this Robin, but definitely NOT this Nightwing yet)
Wonder Girl/Troia/Donna Troy (all very different incarnations of the character in very different costumes represeting different eras in the teams history)
Cyborg (have)
Changeling (have)
Kid Flash (need)
Raven (have)
Jericho (need)

Don't forget Starfire! (I'd love to get Terra, too.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:21 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Van Statten wrote:
I always though when people said finish the team... they mean whatever incarnation of a team was close to being completed. Like Classic Titans or Marv Wolfman's Titans... those two versions are close to completion, like one or two figures shy of being finished.

My point is team's change. Who is to say what Mattel was thinking when they did some of these characters. I highly doubt they are thinking let's do Marv Wolfman's Teen Titans or Classic Teen Titans they just do characters. Classic Titans for example added Speedy later on and Aquagirl, Lilith Clay, Mal Duncan, Hawk and Dove. Then you get into people wanting Classic TT or 1980's TT and it is just WAY too much for Mattel to do. Don't even get me started on people wanting certain versions of costumes. It's a mess so imo teams are very hard to ever "complete" due to the fact they change and add characters all the time. Even the FF4 has added people over the years and there are just 4 of them.

Didn't mean to go off-topic jut saying it's got to be a pain completing teams because there are so many incarnations of each with different artists as well.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:25 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I would actually think that the 4H and Mattel ARE thinking along the lines of, "let's do this character in the Wolfman/Perez-ish style now, so we can do the Grummett-ish style (again to use Titans as the example) later as a refresh".

For them to just blindly go in and say, "we're going to make Nightwing now" shows very little foresight and planning into the longevity of the line.

Based on the interviews and whatnot I have heard from the 4H end alone, they definitely have more of a plan in mind for the majority of characters they are doing.

Granted, some are simply, "the most iconic interpretation we can muster", but many others are not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:23 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

While there have been mistakes (Vigilante, Kamandi, Golden Pharoh the most glaring IMO), an unfortunate fixation on the Super Friends (Dunder Twins, the Ethnic Super-stereotypes), and just some bizarre choices of order (Shark before Vandal Savage, Killer Moth before Poison Ivy, Skittles Wave before more enduring versions of the characters (Blue Flash before Wally, Black Hal before Classic Kyle, Indigo Atom before Indigo-1, etch.), I have to see I'm pretty satisfired with the diversity of what 20 waves has brought us.

I'd give them a B, with my biggest complaints being no Mera, Aqualad(or Tempest), Huntress, Vixen, or Ralph. Too few villains are well.

Still, they ended up light years better than their first modern attempt MOTU 200x.

My hope is that after a few years of the sub, a lot of gaps will be closed.

Trade Rating +55 and counting