Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matty 11/15/11---How'd it go for you?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:47 am 
Brand Manager

GregNYC wrote:
This might be a case where labeling an item "Sold Out" came back to bite Mattel. Thinking they might not see the four-packs again, most collectors probably turned to eBay a long time ago.

I thought the scalpers might swoop in, because the discount is very scalp-worthy. But they might have given up on JLU.

I'm thinking that Mattel may have shot themselves in the foot with this JLU-Sale. If it had been my call, I would have waited until after the 7-Pack and the Convention 3-packs went on sale.

As it stands... Now you have a Mexican standoff between Matty and those collectors who are willing to play chicken with them. Honestly. I tried to promote the Seven-Pack and the mood seemed to be... "Nah! I'll just wait a couple of weeks for Mattel to lower the price from $55 to $25."

Anyways... That's my take.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:56 am 
Daniel Pickett

Same reason why the line failed at Target. Too many fans waiting for clearance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:38 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

If I remember correctly wasn't the GB sale going on the same time as the Ghost Trap and Ray slimer release or at least a week or so later? That didn't affect the sales of them did it?

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:40 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

red Ricky wrote:
I'm thinking that Mattel may have shot themselves in the foot with this JLU-Sale. If it had been my call, I would have waited until after the 7-Pack and the Convention 3-packs went on sale.

As it stands... Now you have a Mexican standoff between Matty and those collectors who are willing to play chicken with them. Honestly. I tried to promote the Seven-Pack and the mood seemed to be... "Nah! I'll just wait a couple of weeks for Mattel to lower the price from $55 to $25."

Anyways... That's my take.

Good point.

I bought them all at full price because I didn't want to take the chance that they might not be available later, but I can understand other collectors wanting to save a few bucks. Those little bits of plastic can be expensive!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:44 pm 
Brand Manager

JuliusMarx wrote:

To be fair, the only JLU product I have seen Target put on Clearance (aside from when the line was recently discontinued) were the 6-packs. The 3-packs and Singles... Those I never saw Target put on clearance (just Kay Bee.) Hell, at one point, I actually saw a Fire & Ice 3-pack "magically" appreciate in price from $9.99 to $14.99, to $18.99. So chances were that if you passed on a 3-pack you really wanted... you missed it for good and never saw it again.

The funny thing is... that was our understanding about the MattyCollector stuff until "Gone For Good" recently became "Gone for Now".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:26 pm 
Ferret Farmer

I was able to get in between 1-1:30 eastern and was shocked that w18 had sold out. Was hoping for a Bronze Tiger to go with the JLU 7pk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:03 pm 
Cold-cast

JuliusMarx wrote:

The 10 - 15 month durations of the same 3 packs / singles hanging on the pegs didn't help either. Between the scores of Disco Braniacs and production delays, it's amazing Target kept JLU around for as long as it did.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:16 am 
5th Horseman

No one has mentioned the fact that the JLU 7 pack is made up entirely of D-listers! I love that they finished off the team with this pack (I bought one), but these are the absolute bottom of the barrel for League members. There's good reason they weren't made sooner, none of them are really strong enough to anchor a three pack or get packed as a single (maybe Speedy because of his Teen Titans appearances). I think 5 of the 7 have never warranted a figure before.

I think this pack was always going to be a tough sell, but I think the figures are well-done and the price is reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:47 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

My 7 Pack shipped this morning. Faster than I was expecting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:27 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

DanMan wrote:
No one has mentioned the fact that the JLU 7 pack is made up entirely of D-listers! I love that they finished off the team with this pack (I bought one), but these are the absolute bottom of the barrel for League members. There's good reason they weren't made sooner, none of them are really strong enough to anchor a three pack or get packed as a single (maybe Speedy because of his Teen Titans appearances). I think 5 of the 7 have never warranted a figure before.

I think this pack was always going to be a tough sell, but I think the figures are well-done and the price is reasonable.

Not to call you out but I completely disagree these are "D-listers". Most of them are B like Speedy, Dr. Mid-nite, Creeper and JT w/ Thunderbolt who have all either had their own comic or been a key member of a team. Most have also been on top 10 lists for a long time too.

I still want more JLU but the plain fact is people can keep making excuse after excuse regarding why it doesn't sell but it just doesn't perform well, period. It's a great line and the figures are awesome imo but it just doesn't have the collector numbers.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:40 am 
Bob Vila

I think you'd be really hard pressed to convince anyone that JLU still has the numbers needed to warrant continuation, but there is probably enough to match a small production run of the unreleased figures. But just to edge their bets maybe mattel should consider one of the suggestions from here.... include them as part of the GL animated line. Even if they only did these tie in packs on matty, they would get the buyers for JLU and the buyers of the new GL line in one hit. As also said before, characters that weren't in JLU were released as part of the line, so it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to do the same with the likes of Mongul, Vandal Savage etc. They can write up any old reason on the card back for why these characters have fought a GL, I doubt anyone cares, they just want the figures.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:54 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

The problem will be if any of those characters actually appear on the show-- and the previous sculpted figures are off model... That will bring a new level of hate on them from people who havent watched JLU and their first foray into a timmverse is the GL cartoon...

I think our only real hope for release is Comic Cons- there is precedent -- and as supposedly a new budget for the exlusive product-- maybe enough to at least get us new packaging...(or different 3 packs setups)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:00 pm 
Collector Inspector

majorjoe23 wrote:
My 7 Pack shipped this morning. Faster than I was expecting.

I'm surprised Stew's order didn't ship first just to clear out a nice chunk of space from their warehouse :p

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:41 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Mine shipped today, too. I'm looking forward to "watching" it wander around the country on the package trace site. It will meander aimlessly through five or six states, and then almost magically jump to Florida, and get delivered the next day. It's absolutely fascinating.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:49 pm 
3 3/4"

My last order was deemed undeliverable. I had to reorder everything and then fight to get a refund from the first deal. I'm hoping things go a little smoother this time around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next