Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matty 11/15/11---How'd it go for you?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:39 am 
active in the community

My 7 pack arrived yesterday ... I live in Anaheim, CA. I gotta say these figures are great. ( only Johnny Thunder is HUGE!!! He towers over poor lil Creeper) :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:09 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

elvis8batman wrote:
it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to do the same with the likes of Mongul, Vandal Savage etc. They can write up any old reason on the card back for why these characters have fought a GL, I doubt anyone cares, they just want the figures.

Mongul fits in with GL pretty well, since he blew up Coast City.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:05 am 
Collector Inspector

Mine's on it's way, too. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:46 am 
Fugitive Dust

LBSuperman wrote:
My 7 pack arrived yesterday ... I live in Anaheim, CA. I gotta say these figures are great. ( only Johnny Thunder is HUGE!!! He towers over poor lil Creeper) :shock:

The way I thought of it was that Johnny was born on the 7 month on the 7 day of the 7 hour...everything involving 7 so I would assume he would be 7 inches tall (in real life) tall and the figure of him tried to represent that.

Last edited by Velocity on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:47 am 
Aspires to be #1

The way I think of it, is that the suit body is gigantic because it was made for the BTAS line and they never made another one haha.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:09 am 
Wonderdog

ian5555 wrote:
DanMan wrote:
No one has mentioned the fact that the JLU 7 pack is made up entirely of D-listers! I love that they finished off the team with this pack (I bought one), but these are the absolute bottom of the barrel for League members. There's good reason they weren't made sooner, none of them are really strong enough to anchor a three pack or get packed as a single (maybe Speedy because of his Teen Titans appearances). I think 5 of the 7 have never warranted a figure before.

I think this pack was always going to be a tough sell, but I think the figures are well-done and the price is reasonable.

Not to call you out but I completely disagree these are "D-listers". Most of them are B like Speedy, Dr. Mid-nite, Creeper and JT w/ Thunderbolt who have all either had their own comic or been a key member of a team. Most have also been on top 10 lists for a long time too.

I have to agree. Waverider is way more D-list than Dr. Mid Nite, and he got a single and a three-pack early on in the run.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:15 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Yeah, the seven pack isn't D-Listers to me. There's a long line of characters that actually got made in the line before now that would fit that qualification lol.

On top of my seven pack, I got in on two bundles, one here at AFI and one at CJ so I'm glad to have the extras.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:26 am 
5th Horseman

ian5555 wrote:
Not to call you out but I completely disagree these are "D-listers". Most of them are B like Speedy, Dr. Mid-nite, Creeper and JT w/ Thunderbolt who have all either had their own comic or been a key member of a team. Most have also been on top 10 lists for a long time too.

I still want more JLU but the plain fact is people can keep making excuse after excuse regarding why it doesn't sell but it just doesn't perform well, period. It's a great line and the figures are awesome imo but it just doesn't have the collector numbers.

I certainly don't mind a little disagreement, I was hoping we'd have some discussion about this! The point that I wanted to make was that with JLU, character selection is very important. I think that Lobo proves you can have a sell out, but JLU needs popular characters to sell, it's not like MotU which seems to sell every single thing well. It doesn't have the collector numbers who will blindly buy everything.

The reason I think they're D-listers is me trying to objectively look at their popularity, not any sort of judgment on the characters themselves. I think Green Arrow is a B-lister (though borderline A) because he just can't seem to sustain his own book long term. If he's a B, then his sidekick Speedy is C at best. I think the JSA is a B-list Justice League (again, being objective), and virtually none of them can sustain their own solo series. The group is stronger than the individuals in this case, so again I would put most JSAers as C-list at best. Johnny Thunder wasn't even the current version of the character pre-new 52, and the rest of the JSA status is unknown in the new continuity. I guess if you view Green Arrow and the JSA as A-listers, then this pack features a few B-list characters. I think that's overly optimistic though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:38 am 
Collector Inspector

And, to me, Golden Age characters are on my A-list. That make sme thrilled to see the Crimson Avenger, Johnny Thunder, his thundebolt and Dr. Mid-Nite. Speedy is also a Golden Age character (despite this figure being released as a more Modern Age version) but I'm still thrilled. Gypsy, as the final character on the JLDetroit members to be released, is exciting (let alone being a RARE female figure who's bare feet AREN'T merely flesh colored high heeld feet). The only one I'm luke-warm to is The Creeper. I already have one from Batman TAS which I feel works just fine.

Now if only they'd arrive in the mail...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:59 am 
Wonderdog

To be fair, I think the love shown for C and D-list characters is part of the appeal of JLU. There's definitely an argument to be made that these are all D-listers. But one man's D-list is another's B-list, I think. But really... Waverider.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:04 pm 
5th Horseman

I don't know the first thing about Waverider, but he sure is a nice-looking figure!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:06 pm 
Collector Inspector

That's part of the deal with toy makers. When Total Justice was in the works, they thought "Aquaman... blond guy in an orange shirt. Swell." But when they found out that he recently grew long hair and had a harpoon for a hand, they were THRILLED. "Oh, that's a MUCH more appealing (read: marketable) figure!" Waverider does have cool hair.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:11 pm 
Wonderdog

I remember putting off buying the Waverider figure forever, just being kind of annoyed that I had to if I wanted a complete collection. I rationalized it by telling myself I'd be even more annoyed if I had to pay above retail for him. But yeah, he's pretty sweet-looking. And a great base for customs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:56 pm 
Knows his stuff

As someone who never read DC comics but followed the DC Animated Universe, only Speedy could be above a D-lister, IMO. Although they complete the on-air League, only Speedy and Crimson Avenger ever spoke a single word on the show. To us show-watchers that are ignorant of their comic book history, Vandal Savage, Mongul and Toyman are definitely in a higher class than any character in this pack.

But I still bought two of the packs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:13 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Just shy of a week later:

All three MOTUC figures: Sold Out

Wave 18 DCUC figures: Sold out save El Dorado

DC Retro figures: Superman, Batman, and MM are sold out.

JLU and the rest of the Retro guys are still there.

There are no almost gones.

I wonder if the JLU pack will "disappear" just before the big sale a la the parademons last year? :|

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next