Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Matty 11/15/11---How'd it go for you?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:15 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

jamiwa3 wrote:
As someone who never read DC comics but followed the DC Animated Universe, only Speedy could be above a D-lister, IMO. Although they complete the on-air League, only Speedy and Crimson Avenger ever spoke a single word on the show. To us show-watchers that are ignorant of their comic book history, Vandal Savage, Mongul and Toyman are definitely in a higher class than any character in this pack.

But I still bought two of the packs.

As far as the show is concerned yes they weren't represented much but as far as comics go they are mostly B and some C listers. The most common definition of a D lister is a character that most comic readers only know about that actually read the comic they are in. I find it hard to believe that most comic readers have not heard of Dr. Mid-nite, Creeper, Speedy and Johnny Thunder with Thunderbolt. I could understand Gypsy and Crimson Avenger though as D but the rest most certainly are B or C but not D.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:45 am 
5th Horseman

jamiwa3 wrote:
As someone who never read DC comics but followed the DC Animated Universe, only Speedy could be above a D-lister, IMO. Although they complete the on-air League, only Speedy and Crimson Avenger ever spoke a single word on the show. To us show-watchers that are ignorant of their comic book history, Vandal Savage, Mongul and Toyman are definitely in a higher class than any character in this pack.

Thanks for putting it into perspective and reminding us just how minor these characters were on the show that the figures are based on. That's kind of the point that I was trying to make. Even hardcore JLU fans (not necessarily comic fans) might have little interest in these characters. In some cases, they're on the same level of importance as Watchtower staff. Though they certainly make for more interesting figures!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:06 am 
shirtless hugger

DanMan wrote:
jamiwa3 wrote:

Thanks for putting it into perspective and reminding us just how minor these characters were on the show that the figures are based on. That's kind of the point that I was trying to make. Even hardcore JLU fans (not necessarily comic fans) might have little interest in these characters. In some cases, they're on the same level of importance as Watchtower staff. Though they certainly make for more interesting figures!

I would love to army-build Watchtower staff :-)

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:10 am 
Collector Inspector

Joe G. wrote:
I would love to army-build Watchtower staff :-)

Me too. But AFTER a crap-ton of other characters were released first. Vandal Savage, Mongul and the other unreleased figs, Granny Goodness, Desaad, Catman, Owlman, Johnny Quick, Chronos, Felix Faust, the Ultimen, the royal Flush Gang, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:33 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

DanMan wrote:
jamiwa3 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=14751

According to the last poll there was plenty if interest in these characters.

Gypsy is #2 on the Female list #8 Overall
Crimson Avenger is #12 overall
Speedy is #13 overall
and
Dr. Midnite is #20 overall

The rest of them are ALL on the list somewhere.

It doesn't matter how minor they were on the show the poll results clearly show they were all in people's top 10 lists to some degree.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:40 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

ian5555 wrote:
As far as the show is concerned yes they weren't represented much but as far as comics go they are mostly B and some C listers. The most common definition of a D lister is a character that most comic readers only know about that actually read the comic they are in. I find it hard to believe that most comic readers have not heard of Dr. Mid-nite, Creeper, Speedy and Johnny Thunder with Thunderbolt. I could understand Gypsy and Crimson Avenger though as D but the rest most certainly are B or C but not D.

Im sorry- Johnny Thunder is the Definition of a D Character-- I hadn't even heard of him (and I had heard of the crimson avenger- and I knew Gypsy was from JLU Detroit- and I didnt even read any JL comic books (real not cartoon) ) until the JLU show came long-- and didnt even know who he actually was till everyone on these boards posted lists-- and to be honest I had heard of Dr. Midnite-- but didnt really know anything about him until he started appearing in the recent Bat Books-- If you didnt read the JSA-- those characters are not A or B-- and would be pushing C (Creeper is a C as well-- (if it wasnt for BTAS -- wouldn't even know who he was-- until he showed up in the Outsiders comic..)....

I really dont think you guys understand companies definitions of how companies rank characters-- I have a Hanna Barbera Style and Marketing Guide-- they rank all of their characters as A, B, or C-- most of their characters fall into the C level-- in their system SHAGGY is a C character, Tom and Jerry were actually B characters.. The split was actually about 5% A (at most) 15% B and the rest were all C's.. In companies eyes its all about general recognition "Q" scores-- it doesnt matter about their history, or their importance- and the breakdown is not an even split by any imagination...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:07 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Gotta agree with Stew on this one. None of those 7 is above C-list, and most are below.

Back on topic, my Swiftwind has currently passed through Cali, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado.

Meanwhile, I live in Arizona. :roll:

Not winged horsey for me until after Thanksgiving, I guess.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:53 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I think Ed said it best one man's B list is another man's D list but the most common definition of a D list character is one that is so obscure only people who read the comic book they are in would most likely know of them. None of these characters really fall into that category imo but I have been reading comics for 30+ years so there aren't many characters I have not heard of unless they are outside of DC and Marvel.

This isn't really an argument that can be proven anyway as it's all opinions accept for the fact that these were all characters that were on alot of people's top 10 lists. That is a fact from the 2009 poll results.

Still waiting on my stuff and I'm also anxious to see what they have listed for Black Friday. The only things I might be interested is to get a few MOTU loose I am missing or some DC Universe stuff. Really hoping for the Legion set but I doubt that one is going up. That would be a disaster if it was imo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:10 am 
Knows his stuff

ian5555 wrote:
jamiwa3 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=14751

According to the last poll there was plenty if interest in these characters.

Gypsy is #2 on the Female list #8 Overall
Crimson Avenger is #12 overall
Speedy is #13 overall
and
Dr. Midnite is #20 overall

The rest of them are ALL on the list somewhere.

It doesn't matter how minor they were on the show the poll results clearly show they were all in people's top 10 lists to some degree.

But Toyman (2) and Vandal Savage (7) are still ahead of all of them on that list. Granny Goodness (9) is ahead of all of them except Gypsy.

ian5555 wrote:
I think Ed said it best one man's B list is another man's D list...This isn't really an argument that can be proven anyway...

This is true. This is just an excuse to turn the topic of conversation to JLU, as is our wont around these parts. Personally, I wouldn't consider John Stewart, Hawkgirl or Martian Manhunter A-list, despite being part of the original 7. It depends on how stringently you define the terms.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:37 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

jamiwa3 wrote:
, I wouldn't consider John Stewart, Hawkgirl or Martian Manhunter A-list, despite being part of the original 7. It depends on how stringently you define the terms.

Which is kind of my point- A list for DC comics-- is Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (no specific person just the character), Flash and Aquaman- Thats it--

B's are your Robin (not Nightwing), Catwoman, Joker, Lex, Batgirl, Maybe Hawkpeople and Martian Manhunter, Riddler, Penguin (and to be honest-- the Wonder Twins have a better shot of being B List from the People at WB- than any of the JSA)- since they are still constantly spoofed on current TV shows..

Like I said-- you need to look at this list from the general public and not from any basis in comic books...

But back to the point mine are showing as leaving NV on Monday-- no update since-

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10