Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best Classic DCU Superman and Batman?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:37 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

i'm desperate to find the best DCU figs for classic look (well, modern classic) Superman and Batman (black/grey). there are just too many releases, repaints, etc. to narrow it down by myself. any help, info, pics appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Best Classic DCU Superman and Batman?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:52 am 
Cold-cast

I'm assuming you mean from the Mattel DC Classics line. I always thought that the Batman and Superman Public Enemies figures were pretty sharp.

Here is a link to the Fwoosh article that compares them to other main classic looks.

http://thefwoosh.com/2009/08/first-look ... ic-enemies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:17 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

This is going to be hard to get any kind of "definitive" answer for.

Some of the figures sport subtle differences (shades of blue for example), others represent very different eras or storylines in the character's history.

What might be the "most definitive" version for one collector will not be the same for another.

So ... to help us help you, what do you consider the look that you are most going for? Do you want something that is the most current? The Silver Age? Neil Adams? A "best of ..." blend of all of it?

If you could narrow down (or even post pics from Comic art) of what you want your figure to be, we might be able to make a better set of recommendations for you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:42 am 
Bob Vila

Bens right, you need to decide what era/decade is your favourite and that will narrow it down. Although certain definitive versions are yet to be released, such as a light blue Superman, or what version of the Bat suit you consider to be most accurate. When it comes to Batman, you have to decide if you want yellow oval insignia, black bat insignia, capsule belt, pouch belt, blue and grey, black and grey, all black suit? There are different blues too, bright blue, dark blueish green, blueish black, you can find lots of different art with lots of different shades of blue for Batman costume.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:14 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I know for myself 3 of the DC Universe Classics have me covered...

Wave 1 Crime Stopper Batman
(blue and grey classic look)

The Gotham Five Batman
(the grey and black with yellow bat insignia)

The Dynamic Duo
(the grey and black with black bat insignia)

Also for giggles I like the Wave 10 black Batman
(the Toy Biz homage)

For me these fit all eras of Batman. Maybe not artist's style like some of the DC Directs cover but I'm not that concern with detail.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:00 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I never really cared much for any of the Superman figures...well, except the DCSH Clark.

My favorite Batman is also from DCSH, with the larger utility belt.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:06 pm 
PVC

I prefer 2-pack Supes for the red eyes, and Legacy Wave 1 Batman for the costume and angry head sculpt.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:59 am 
5th Horseman

I don't think Superman has had nearly as many variations as Batman has in terms of recent Mattel figures. If you have a Five Below near you, they're selling DCUC Superman figures on Black Friday for $3 I think, so that's what I would go for.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:20 am 
Collector Inspector

I prefer the Batman Legacy Wave 1 figure. I absolutely love that figure. Perfect sculpt and it has great details on the boots and gloves, seams and stitches on the costume, and it has my favorite belt. Plus, you can still find him in stores and he comes with the always-needed stand. I also have Legacy 2 Batman, Wave 1 Batman, and the Clay splatter Batman.

My Favorite Superman, personally, is the Wave 5 long-hair regular cape costume variant (JLA Morrison era). The long hair fits better with that face sculpt for some reason. It's just a commanding looking figure. I don't know if it's "classic" enough. I hope a new updated superman is in the works.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:39 am 
Brand Manager

callsign_morlock wrote:
i'm desperate to find the best DCU figs for classic look (well, modern classic) Superman and Batman (black/grey). there are just too many releases, repaints, etc. to narrow it down by myself. any help, info, pics appreciated.

I would recommend the Gotham City 5-pack (if you can find it). It has one of the better looking Batmans (i.e. Black, Grey, Capsule Belt & Oval).

http://actiontoyreview.blogspot.com/sea ... 205%20Pack

And to reiterate what others have said... The Public Enemies versions of those two have better and taller bodies, but you would have to do a head-swap in order to accomplish the DCUC "look". But the bodies are worth it if you are a stickler for scale.

http://thefwoosh.com/2009/08/first-look ... ic-enemies

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:16 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

thanks so much for all the responses! you guys gave me exactly what i needed. from all the info provided, it looks like the Gotham City 5 pack has the Superman i'd like most. the DCSH Batman (black/grey repaint) is at the top of my list too but i might have to settle for Legacy wave 1. thanks again, everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:40 am 
shirtless hugger

Gotta say, as far as Superman goes, I like the mullet superman head sculpt the best of all the Supes we've gotten so far.