Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: target has all dc lines 50% off!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:00 am 
Collector Inspector

I don't get how Walmart can do competitive price-matching on items that Target doesn't even carry. For instance, some dude on another board price-matched a Crime Syndicate 5-pack for freaking $37. That's an Exclusive product, IIRC, and a unique set that Target doesn't carry, not a "DCU Classics single figure" which the sale covers. Now, I'm not sure if Walmart carries BL 2-packs. I've never seen them there. Do they even carry them?

There's some crazy stuff going on out there. People cashing in Mattel $5 coupons and getting DCUC figures for $2.99. The stores are losing money right now and I think they know it. Not like I care, just pensively dwelling on the situation. I wish I could get deals like this. I usually miss out as I buy things right away because I fear I'll never see them again. This stops now!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:15 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

That's odd about the Crime Syndicate because a store won't return an item where the item's SKU code is not in their system. I think someone was fibbing! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:19 am 
shirtless hugger

funtime3 wrote:
I don't get how Walmart can do competitive price-matching on items that Target doesn't even carry. For instance, some dude on another board price-matched a Crime Syndicate 5-pack for freaking $37. That's an Exclusive product, IIRC, and a unique set that Target doesn't carry, not a "DCU Classics single figure" which the sale covers. Now, I'm not sure if Walmart carries BL 2-packs. I've never seen them there. Do they even carry them?

If the cashier that I spoke to is to be believed, then the guy on the other board couldn't have gotten that CS 5-pack for $37 because they won't match percentage discounts, only actual prices. Unless the guy on the other board dealt with the dumbest cashier around, which I suppose is possible.

And Walmart definitely carries Batman Legacy 2-packs. I bought one there this morning. I don't think all stores have them, but the one by me does.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:28 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Keep in mind, a store manager or general manager can override and just about approve anything. So if someone at the service desk is making too much a ruckus and they just wanted to get rid of them or for whatever reason a key holder could easily approve such a thing. But not if that item isn't in their system.

And Batman Legacy is on the Wal-Mart Christmas layouts but DCUC isn't or so it seems. In the Wal-Marts I've been in around me which have finished their final layouts the DCUC figures are in the flex space which is reserved for items removed from the planogram.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:36 am 
MINT!

Going to Target tonight when Wifey-poo gets home. Wish me luck! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:29 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I picked up Wave 19 Hawkman, Sandman, Lord Naga and Magog for 29.84. I used a 5.00 Mattel coupon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:03 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Finally got me that Blue Flash for $2.99 at Target.

The Anti-Monitor is now complete! :twisted:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:48 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

funtime3 wrote:
There's some crazy stuff going on out there. People cashing in Mattel $5 coupons and getting DCUC figures for $2.99. The stores are losing money right now and I think they know it. Not like I care, just pensively dwelling on the situation. I wish I could get deals like this. I usually miss out as I buy things right away because I fear I'll never see them again. This stops now!

Well in reality-- they get the 5.00 back directly from Mattel for the Manufacturers coupons- so its not really lost revenue-- losing money would depend on their wholesale price on the items..and usually many sales are supported by the manufacuters by giving stores deals on their products- or offering them rebates on new products in exchange for blowing out the older items-- similiar to a buyback that hasbro does- but just done differently-- for it to be 50% across the board- I'd be pretty sure its being backed somehow by Mattell...

Maybe for the first time Mattel- is really seeing how bad they are getting their asses kicked in the boys toy aisle-- and they figure maybe they can get a new customer base by getting the Moms to buy in at a cheap price right before christmas-- (however that is intelligent marketing and actual hands on managing of a line-- and what are the odds Mattel Boys division started doing that)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:20 am 
Collector Inspector

Thanks, I understand, You might be right; overall, I know retailers are taking their lumps this week and they know they're losing money but they have to do it. I heard a Target rep on the radio say they are losing money on lot of these sales but they have to do it. They have to get people in the door and hope that after they buy the $20 DVD player , they stay and buy dishwashing liquid and milk and all that. I heard some other businesses on the news say that they do a lot of business this week but it's not very profitable because of the deep discounts.

As far as this sale, I reckon you're right that this is a Mattel thing since it's all Mattel lines. And it's timed very well because of Christmas and it looks they actually have product on the shelves unlike some store promotions where there's nothing in stock. But a lot of the doorbuster deals this week like gadgets and clothes are just one retailer in a mad battle against the other retailer, understandably.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:00 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I bought all of 17 & 19 with the pile of $5 coupons I got at NYCC...I wonder if theyll still do a price adjustment..hmmm...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:08 pm 
Wonderdog

the stores arent exactly losing money
they send the coupons to mattel to get refunded
and mattel probobly gave them a big discount in order to put the mattel products sale

either way its to move through old product, they should do this sale for 1 week every 4 or 6 months for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:54 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I picked up Catman and Batgirl from the Legacy line. Might go back up and pick up DC Classics Wave 17. They had quite a few of all those lanterns.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:46 pm 
Collector Inspector

I was reflecting on how the big stores are losing money or staying flat with low margins, in general, on sales all week. They've been saying that themselves on the news this week. But I'm glad to hear that the coupons are working out for everybody.

Bought a Mister Miracle today for $7.99. One less Wave 6 figure at Target. Bring on Wave 7. I mean Wave 20.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:04 pm 
MINT!

My Target was pretty wiped out. I did manage to get a total armor Joker and a Rain Check. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:11 am 
5th Horseman

Does anyone know how long this sale is supposed to run?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next