Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for December 1st
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:53 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

NoisyDvL5 wrote:
Shellhead wrote:
Anybody know why "German Fansites" get a slot for the 30th MOTUC figures? Is Germany a hotspot for He-man fandom?

Yes. He-Man is HUGE in Germany.

So He-Man = David Hasselhoff?

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm 
declined to be a vampire

Hey Mattel...how about a bit of honesty

You didn't choose Flashpoint Plastic man because he's a popular character and that Flashpoint was a succesful comic.

Someone either lost a bet, or some people were drunk when it happend. JUST BE HONEST ABOUT IT!! :)

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:22 pm 
declined to be a vampire

Quote:
Q: Is the Batman Beyond DC All Star figure a straight re-release of the DCUC Version? Will many of the DC All Stars be re-releases?

A: Yes, Batman Beyond is making an encore appearance in the DC Universe retail line. The retail line will not include very many re-releases, so don't interpret the first mix offering as a pattern that will carry throughout the year. Be on the lookout for more reveals soon!

I just made a note of this. We'll see.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:24 pm 
Collector Inspector

alcinde4 wrote:
So He-Man = David Hasselhoff?

Riding around on Battle-KITT, yes.

By the Power of Dave-Skull!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:42 pm 
shirtless hugger

abuddah wrote:
@ Joe G. I submitted that question to Poe

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't laughing at the question. I find the idea that Flashpoint Plastic Man is a "well-known character[...] that will appeal to retail consumers" to be laughable.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:47 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Here's ours: Infinite Hollywood: Mattel Q&A December 1st 2011

While you're reading, check out our Toys For Tots drive, where we're matching your donations with a donation of our own. We're hoping to get at least 30 donations!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:59 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Are people STILL whining about FP Plasticman? Geez...get over it. It's one figure, don't buy the damn thing.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:29 pm 
Cold-cast

From PCN

Quote:
2) Since for the create a character, you own rights to entries once received, is there possibility of you using characters submitted for figures after the contest is over? Or is you owning the rights to the characters submitted just for legal purposes?

While it is "possible" and we do own all entries outright, it is highly unlikely we will ever do any of the other entries as that would defeat the point of having a "winner" and a "contest" at all (if more then one entry won). It is the same with the vintage contest. We likely won't ever do any of the other vintage runner ups to keep Nathan's entry as the true winner and receiving the prize of having his entry turned into a figure.

I don't collect he man so I don't really care, I just thought that answer was funny since all the big hair pulling and gnashing of teeth over TG's character being made.

Anyway, my one pet peeve about these ask matty questions is that they either have Richard Simmons answering these things or they're just being jerks. All the constant exclamations. Nobody (except Richard Simmons) is THAT excited all the time about everything. I mean I get why they do it, but it just comes across to me like they think everybody is stupid. To me rather than say "Stay tuned!" or "You'll have to wait and see!" it would be better to just straight up say "For legal reasons, we just can't get into that right now. But thank you for caring enough to ask.". Just treat people like they have a brain at least. But like I said, that's just a personal pet peeve.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:40 pm 
Former King of Posts

MoMoney wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
I don't know why people even care so much. The CIE announcement came months before they were ready to reveal the new wave of DC All Stars and they were trying to get people as excited as they could about the sub. The answer they gave is exactly what I thought all along.

I don't know why they care, either. You wanted both characters. Both characters are being released. What does it matter how or where?

I care. Because I am trying to understand how Mattel thinks. Mattel said that the retail line would be more friendly to Moms and kids. That the subscription would be the place to look for 'collector oriented figures'. To me, the sub and wave 1 of DC All Stars look like wave 21 of DCUC. I see no difference in character selection between the two, but Mattel said there was. I remain convinced these two groups were supposed to be wave 21.

In one breath they defend the choice to make an evil version of Plastic Man claiming that people know him but he is paired with Larfleeze whom I guarantee almost no one who does not read DC comics knows.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:42 pm 
active in the community

So is it a certainty that GLAS will not be in scale with JLU?Or even have a toyline?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:14 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

comicbookreader wrote:
So is it a certainty that GLAS will not be in scale with JLU?Or even have a toyline?

Since nothing 'official' has been announced, they're playing with that 'stay tuned' nonsense. When they have something to announce at Toy Fair or some junk, then we'll know for sure. They never announce anything until it's confirmed so they don't get a ton of fan backlash.
For instance, Legion of Superheroes cartoon had a toyline that almost came out, a couple of pictures were leaked, but then it died and never saw light of day.
IF GL happens, it MIGHT have be able to fit in with JLU, but I wouldn't bank on it, and they won't let us know for sure until it's officially announced. Until then they will just keep saying 'no plans at this time', 'stay tuned', and blah blah blah.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:40 am 
shirtless hugger

I'm really getting to where I wish Mattel would stop doing these. After reading numerous "answers" across multiple sites, they don't ever really say anything. Just stay tuned, or watch and see. Total waste of my time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:53 am 
Variant Head

What bugs me about Plastic Man and appealing to moms and kids is that he has none of the super cool things the SDCC version had? I mean a variant package of him with the spring bottom or fly swatter hand would grab some kids. The kids would maybe think he is the same plastic man from BATB but not putting anything in with him is just lame.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:47 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

yeah, if it doesnt have any accessories, there absolutely no reason to buy it whatsoever. i have a feeling this figure is going to warm your pegs harder than power girl.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:04 am 
categorically opposed

superfriend wrote:
I care. Because I am trying to understand how Mattel thinks. Mattel said that the retail line would be more friendly to Moms and kids. That the subscription would be the place to look for 'collector oriented figures'. To me, the sub and wave 1 of DC All Stars look like wave 21 of DCUC. I see no difference in character selection between the two, but Mattel said there was. I remain convinced these two groups were supposed to be wave 21.

I don't think anyone would argue against these figures being leftovers from DCUC. And that's the problem.

Since these are leftovers from DCUC, we really have no idea what the sub and retail lines will look like until the next reveals.