Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: This is the way the JLU ends...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:49 am 
Cold-cast

...not with a BANG...but with a whimper.

Got my Final Seven pack yesterday (thank you to Derby who is THE....MAN...) and I have to say that, as a whole, I'm kind of disappointed.

The clear loser in the group is The Creeper. The only thing I can say, really, is that the red 'fur' (or whatever the hell it is) looks GREAT. The rest of the figure pales in comparison to the Kenner BTAS Creeper. I've already decided that this figure will be used for a Ragman custom. So disappointed.

Johnny Thunder is gigantic. Shockingly out of scale. He's more in scale with the Kenner BTAS figures. HOWEVER, he gets by because he's beautifully done. Thunderbolt is neat. If anything HE (it?) should have been larger in scale but it's still a neat figure.

Gypsy looks great. I really like the scarf tails. I actually have no idea who Gypsy IS other than she was in the "Detroit" era league with Vibe so that's where she goes in my collection.

Crimson Avenger could have easily been my favorite of the batch. I love his 1930's look and I'm glad they went with that. He loses points, however, for his head sculp. Could've done a better job on that one.

The only issue I have with Speedy is that his eyes look...off. They kind of wrap around his head, which is strange.

TDr. Midnite is the clear winner here. Very well done.

Post subject: Re: This is the way the JLU ends...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:03 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

I haven't even opened mine yet.

But looking at it my two favorites are Gypsy and Doctor Midnite. I've always loved the look of Dr. Midnite and I'm so happy they made him JLU form.

I'm pretty happy because I have a pretty good display for a JLU styled Justice Society of America. A mix of new and old members.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:21 am 
Aspires to be #1

JLU hasn't ended yet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:32 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

j1h15233 wrote:
JLU hasn't ended yet.

You know J you are right because they did say on the AFI main page on the Ask Matty question they do still have an announcement to make.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:39 am 
AFA Graded

Please let it be TOYMAN. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:55 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Re: Creeper
Yea I held up by BTNA Creeper to the box and he's vastly superior despite the height issue. I think he'll stand in the JLU group shot for me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:04 am 
Collector Inspector

If something is advertised as "unlimited" how can it ever end? Let's sue Matty for false advertising! (but as an out-of-court setttlement, we'll accept the awesome unreleased figsures)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:07 am 
AFA Graded

tuning4k wrote:
If something is advertised as "unlimited" how can it ever end? Let's sue Matty for false advertising! (but as an out-of-court settlement, we'll accept the awesome unreleased figures)

Fantastic idea. :mrgreen:

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:16 am 
Collector Inspector

"This is the most blatant case of false advertising since my suit against the movie The Neverending Story."

Lionel Hutz we miss you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:17 am 
Knows his stuff

spacemonkeymikey wrote:
The clear loser in the group is The Creeper. The only thing I can say, really, is that the red 'fur' (or whatever the hell it is) looks GREAT. The rest of the figure pales in comparison to the Kenner BTAS Creeper. I've already decided that this figure will be used for a Ragman custom. So disappointed.

Johnny Thunder is gigantic. Shockingly out of scale. He's more in scale with the Kenner BTAS figures. HOWEVER, he gets by because he's beautifully done. Thunderbolt is neat. If anything HE (it?) should have been larger in scale but it's still a neat figure.

Does anyone have a picture of the BTAS Creeper next to the JLU Johnny Thunder? I'm trying to get an idea of the scale to see if I possibly want to look for the BTAS Creeper on Ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:20 am 
Aspires to be #1

jamiwa3 wrote:
spacemonkeymikey wrote:

Does anyone have a picture of the BTAS Creeper next to the JLU Johnny Thunder? I'm trying to get an idea of the scale to see if I possibly want to look for the BTAS Creeper on Ebay.

I haven't put them side by side but I can tell you that the Creeper is huge compared to JLU figures. He'll stand out even more than Johnny does.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

To me the only problems are Creeper being small, which otherwise he's a cool figure, and Johnny Thunder is too big, but he's also well done. I like the whole pack. The issues are minor. I got over the size of Green Arrow and Big Barda...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:25 am 
Knows his stuff

jzachery wrote:
To me the only problems are Creeper being small, which otherwise he's a cool figure, and Johnny Thunder is too big, but he's also well done. I like the whole pack. The issues are minor. I got over the size of Green Arrow and Big Barda...

The scale issues don't bother me much either. Johnny Thunder looks absolutely awesome, as long as he's not next to another figure. They nailed it with his likeness.

I was curious how big the BTAS Creeper was though. Since the scale is off with all the characters, it's not a big deal for me. I would have been perfectly happy with the Teen Titans Speedy if they hadn't included him in the seven-pack.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:54 am 
5" Scale

LOL when did scale EVER matter in JLU. Everything is out of scale, I find I am much happy with JLU figures when I do not even think about scale.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:20 am 
Cold-cast

OH! I didn't see the "Exciting JLU announcement" announcement. EEEEENNNNNNTERESTING....

As far as the creeper is concerned, I also think they did a better job, sculpt-wise, on the BTAS Creeper. I just prefer it all-around.

And it's not so much the size of the FIGURE that bugs me. Scale accuracy, as has been said, hasn't been JLU's strong points. It's just that his head is SO TINY.

I think part of the reason I'm kind of "meh" is that I wasn't really all that fired up about the selected characters to begin with. While ANY JLU is great fun and a pleasure to have, I could think of an entirely different group of 7 I would have preferred to see. Sounds like I'm an ingrateful little whiney-pants but I'm still glad to have any JLU.