All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Matty 12/15 sale
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:49 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I paid extra for UPS and mine arrived before Christmas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:51 pm 
We're going streaking!

I am glad I decided to buy the Retro-Heroes Guy Gardner from BBTS instead of Matty.com. Added to my Pile of Loot, it cost less than a buck fifty more than if I ordered directly from Matty and I got my package before Christmas (UPS, of course!).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:01 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

The LOSH set I ordered arrived yesterday. Yay!

I've seen it up close a couple of times before, but to actually have it in my hands was a great feeling. The sculpting is really well done.

I did find the costume choices a little confusing. Granted, I read LOSH comic books when I was a kid, so my memory is not that clear, but I thought that by the time Matter-Eater Lad joined, Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy had updated their looks with more-revealing costumes. (Cosmic Boy was in a bustier-looking outfit at that time; I'm glad we didn't get that one!)

So are these figures intended to cover a broader spectrum, not a specific moment or style in LOSH lore?

And as much as I really like the sculpting of Karate Kid and Matter-Eater Lad, I would have preferred Bouncing Boy and Duo Damsel. (Or Shrinking Violet. Or Phantom Girl. Or some other female representation.) Next set, right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:32 pm 
Brand Manager

GregNYC wrote:
So are these figures intended to cover a broader spectrum, not a specific moment or style in LOSH lore?

I think they went for each character's "most iconic" look, but it kinda fits with how the Legion looked Pre-Crisis. Think... The Great Darkness Saga.

Either that, or they just went for that "Fortress of Solitude" look.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:04 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

All the 12/15 JLU 3-packs are now listed as almost gone. Is it really true? Personally I doubt it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:33 pm 
We're going streaking!

red Ricky wrote:

Huh. I nevere noticed that Wildfire is in that picture twice. Anyone know why? And I would like Saturn Girl much more if her hair was more like the picture. Imra got too little hair and Garth got too much!

And I was just going to comment that everything at Matty from the 12/15 sale is either "Sold Out" or "Almost Gone" except the Ghostbusters II 12-Inch 2-Packs. I may one day regret skipping the final JLU stuff...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:51 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

TRDouble wrote:
Huh. I nevere noticed that Wildfire is in that picture twice. Anyone know why? And I would like Saturn Girl much more if her hair was more like the picture. Imra got too little hair and Garth got too much!

And I was just going to comment that everything at Matty from the 12/15 sale is either "Sold Out" or "Almost Gone" except the Ghostbusters II 12-Inch 2-Packs. I may one day regret skipping the final JLU stuff...

I always wonder why Wildfire was in there twice myself but I don't follow many LOSH stories so I'm sure there's a simple explanation.

I get the feeling Matty is just slowly pulling the 12/15 stuff just because this month is about over and they'll be putting up the January items soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:02 pm 
We're going streaking!

whakojacko1976 wrote:
TRDouble wrote:
Huh. I never noticed that Wildfire is in that picture twice. Anyone know why? And I would like Saturn Girl much more if her hair was more like the picture. Imra got too little hair and Garth got too much!

I always wonder why Wildfire was in there twice myself but I don't follow many LOSH stories so I'm sure there's a simple explanation.

I get the feeling Matty is just slowly pulling the 12/15 stuff just because this month is about over and they'll be putting up the January items soon.

I believe the reason was part of the Lightning Saga storyline. I read the storyline, but my memory is fuzzy.

Stuff that gets pulled from Matty before a sale usually just goes from In-stock to Sold Out, IIRC, with no Almost Gone, but with Matty, who knows!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:36 pm 
Cold-cast

This is so cool, I just received my 12 pack just in time for QUERL DOX A.K.A. Brainiac 5's BIRTHDAY (that's Jan 30 according to SUPER DC CALENDAR 1976) yippie kay yay mofos lol (ok, ok, that was so nerdie, but seriously little plastic toy make a grown man say the craziest things!). :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:22 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

TRDouble wrote:

Stuff that gets pulled from Matty before a sale usually just goes from In-stock to Sold Out

Maybe they finally realized that was way too abrupt and suspicious. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:07 am 
Brand Manager

whakojacko1976 wrote:
TRDouble wrote:
Huh. I nevere noticed that Wildfire is in that picture twice. Anyone know why?

One is a statue and the other is the real one... who's been frozen.

As to who froze him and why, it's never explained. And that's why I hate Brad Meltzer's JLA stuff. He just wanted the Legion to revive Wally West (after Bart got killed); and everything else got shoehorned.

So yeah... 5 Legionnaires travel back in time and somehow end up frozen, dead or crazy. Then they all snap back "into reality" when someone mentions "Lightning Lad". Then they fight, trick the JLA/JSA, revive Wally & his Family and travel... Back to the Future!!!

Need more evidence of bad writing?

Starman asks Karate Kid why he isn't dead!!! Literally!!! Brad's own character points out a 25 year old inconsistency and no explanation is given!!!

-sigh-

No wonder the "New" DC needs a reboot every 5 minutes!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:31 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

red Ricky wrote:
Either that, or they just went for that "Fortress of Solitude" look.

Thanks for that! I had forgotten about the Lightning Saga story arc in the JLA. That pic is a great representation of the Legion.

I'm hoping we see more LOSH figures in the Club Infinite Earths. If we get Dawnstar, I wonder if her wings will be that big, or the size of Hawkman and Hawkgirl's.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:43 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I think its a safe bet that they would just re-use the Hawks' wings.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:43 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I think you're right. Mattel does like to cut costs where it can.